A question about sharing the game...

Ok, so I'll set up the premise here first:

My friend recently fell off his bicycle on his way home when he swerved for a dog.

He ended up with a pretty badly broken leg and knee.

He will go into surgery next week and after that he will be "bedridden" (or couch) for at least three months.

Now, as it happens he is unemployed and loves Combat Mission.

We usually play hotseat at my place a couple of times every month (he is my regular CM opponent) but he cannot afford the game.

In the old days, I would have just brought the game to his house and installed it on his computer, but I cannot do that now since I have used my 2 codes for the game (worklaptop and stationary home gaming pc).

Is there any way for me to let him play the game without giving him one of my computers or buying another copy of the game (which I honestly cannot afford right now)?

Is there any way of getting an extention on your code so you can have the game installed on 3 computers instead of just 2?

Something like that?

Please help me cheer up my buddy.

How about bringing your work laptop over to his house for some hot bed playing. We will not tell your boss - promise.

Yeah, the problem is I don't have much spare time, and this was more so that he won't be bored out of his mind for the next 3 months :/

How much does a beer cost in Sweden?

How much does CM cost?

How much is unemployment benefit in Sweden?

Hmm... that depends on the beer and its alcohol content.

Around 3-7 bucks I guess?

CM costs 55 bucks plus shipping (15-25 bucks IIRC)

Unemployment benefits? Depends on your former paygrade.

For him tho, since the company he was working for bankrupted and his bosses refuse to even cooperate with the bankrupcy administrator, he is currently on welfare.

Which is around 436 bucks after his rent is paid.

As I told you, he cannot afford CM. And I cannot afford to spend 70-85 bucks as a get well present since I am on minimum wage.

Ian, your idea of "some hot bed playing" and mine are not the same thing. Throw in some beaver tail and I'll reconsider.

I wondered who would pickup on that. Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode where George tried to combine a several of his favorite activities :D He was not eating beaver tails thought - I think it was a ham sandwich.

Download the CMBN demo. Multiplayer modes are fully enabled, only the number of available stock scenarios is limited and QBs are disabled.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1889&Itemid=318

If you are lucky the demo lets you play custom scenarios downloaded from the Repository via PBEM, wich means there would be a large amount of content for you two available for free. Otherwise you could still play the demo scenarios via PBEM. Even at high turn exhange rates they should keep you busy for a week or two.

Once you have played through all the CMBN demo scenarios via PBEM, get the CMFI demo and play through those demo scenarios via PBEM and you can kill another 2 weeks.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2143&Itemid=318

Download the CMBN demo. Multiplayer modes are fully enabled, only the number of available stock scenarios is limited and QBs are disabled.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1889&Itemid=318

If you are lucky the demo lets you play custom scenarios downloaded from the Repository via PBEM, wich means there would be a large amount of content for you two available for free. Otherwise you could still play the demo scenarios via PBEM. Even at high turn exhange rates they should keep you busy for a week or two.

Once you have played through all the CMBN demo scenarios via PBEM, get the CMFI demo and play through those demo scenarios via PBEM and you can kill another 2 weeks.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2143&Itemid=318

Now that is some creative thinking. And as far as I know, doesn't break any laws either.

:)

Michael

agusto,

Not only is yours a capital suggestion, but it's a capital-preserving one, too!

Oddball_E8,

Extending the agusto model a bit, your laid-up friend could do much the same with the CMSF Demo, thus paving the way for his eventual trip to the Ukraine. In this way, he will have sampled the full range of the CMx2 experience by the time he's hale and hearty again.

Regards,

John Kettler

Problem is we have both played the demos extensively.

BUT, I have gone the extra mile and decided to lend him my Xbox 360 with GTA V.

I was looking forward to playing it for a long time but I'll survive the wait. At least for a month. After that he might be tired of the game anyway and I can have it back :)

agusto,

Not only is yours a capital suggestion, but it's a capital-preserving one, too!

Oddball_E8,

Extending the agusto model a bit, your laid-up friend could do much the same with the CMSF Demo, thus paving the way for his eventual trip to the Ukraine. In this way, he will have sampled the full range of the CMx2 experience by the time he's hale and hearty again.

Regards,

John Kettler

Heh, considering the fact that CMSF was what got him turned off combat mission (he had all the CMx1 games) I don't think that is a great idea :P

• 1 month later...

tough one, nelly

in the old days we had a chat room at CMHQ,which always had guys wanting a game online at almost any time of day/night/zone.

ive yet to find a substitute that actually has any players interested in RT.

i say join a couple of CM clubs and have a dozen PBEM going,should feel like RT then:)

a few people ask me how i can have so many games going at once?

i dont find it difficult at all,in fact i reckon it hones one's skills alot sharper.

i have all the cm series games , a good high speed connection but no idea how to find online friends that would play ip games anyone help out please. cheers

I have a strong feeling that either you misread the topic completely, or you posted in the wrong thread.

On topic: No need to fret over this subject any more since I went out and bought CM:BN, CM:CW, 2.0 and CM:MG for him.

Cost me a wad of cash but I'll live.

Have you considered that 3 months solid CM playing time could means he is your nemesis when you next play him. :D

Actually, he has a good head for tactics already, the main problem is that since we usually play against eachother on the same computer, his turns take longer simply because he isn't used to the controls.

So I just think this will make him slightly more dangerous but alot faster :)

On topic: No need to fret over this subject any more since I went out and bought CM:BN, CM:CW, 2.0 and CM:MG for him.

Cost me a wad of cash but I'll live.

Glad this had a happy ending. Of course it is always possible that sometime in the coming weeks he will decide that he doesn't really like you and make off with your girlfriend.

:P:D

Michael