CMFI Bug Report - Tank's Waypoint Commands Not Working

Shorker

While playing several quick battles and scenarios (H2H) I discovered that not all waypoint commands for tanks are working:

1. Open/Close turret lock/porthole: Let's say you are setting a route for your tank with several waypoints and the commander is watching from his turret (open). Now you want your tank commander to close the turret lock at a certain waypoint and so you mark this waypoint and click on "close". This doesn't work any longer - the turret lock will be closed directly from the beginning as soon as the turn (movie) starts.

2. Delayed Movement: I had two tanks standing side by side and I decided that tank "A" should go first - so I set waypoints for both tanks and delayed tank "B" for 15 seconds. So far so good but now comes the bug:

For some reason I decided that it was better to let tank "B" go first and (while I did not change the waypoints) so I deleted the delay command for tank "B" and now told tank "A" to wait for 15 seconds.

This doesn't work - tank "A" only waited 5 seconds ALLTHOUGH the time counter above this unit was showing 15 seconds - it suddenly jumped from 0:15 to 0:04, 0:03 etc.

1. Open/Close turret lock/porthole: <snip> at a certain waypoint and so you mark this waypoint and click on "close". This doesn't work any longer - the turret lock will be closed directly from the beginning as soon as the turn (movie) starts.

Well this is not actually a bug per say. I would like it to work that way as well but it never has. The Open / Close toggle has always been a simple on or off. Just like Hide and Deploy (except that they take effect at the end of a set of way points and not the beginning).

I had two tanks standing side by side and I decided that tank "A" should go first - so I set waypoints for both tanks and delayed tank "B" for 15 seconds. So far so good but now comes the bug:

For some reason I decided that it was better to let tank "B" go first and (while I did not change the waypoints) so I deleted the delay command for tank "B" and now told tank "A" to wait for 15 seconds.

This doesn't work - tank "A" only waited 5 seconds ALLTHOUGH the time counter above this unit was showing 15 seconds - it suddenly jumped from 0:15 to 0:04, 0:03 etc.

This may be a feature of the advanced AI deciding that it has a better sense of what is going on than you do and overriding your commands.

;)

I´ve been testing orders in waypoints with tanks and vehicles and reached the following conclusions:

1-Pause order does not work when there´s a shoot order in the waypoint. The unit will always shoot from the beguining even if you have ordered to pause first.

2-The same to dismount troops in vehicles.

3-It´s not possible to bail out in any waypoint.

In my opinion it is essential an actions order in waypoints cos sometimes it´s difficult to know what reaction are going to have the units. Using smartly pauses and waypoints you can fill the minute giving concise orders. If not possible, at least a review turn to see the units movements before the turn expires.

2-The same to dismount troops in vehicles.

3-It´s not possible to bail out in any waypoint.

Both of those are known and have been discussed at some length. Speaking for myself, most of the time I can live with those limitations. In the real world, things almost never went quite as smoothly and precisely as players sometimes demand. In order to dismount, a stop order has to be given to the vehicle, and it cannot resume movement in that turn. But even at most, the player is only giving up a single minute of movement. I doubt that that was at all uncommon in the real war. And if you don't want your vehicle hanging out in what might be a vulnerable location, you can insert pauses in the earlier parts of the movement path where it is in cover so that it only arrives at the unloading point a few seconds before the end of the turn.

Of course, if you play RT this whole problem goes away as you can stop the vehicle and dismount at any point you please, and then resume movement without delay. (At least I think it works that way; I never play RT myself.)

Michael

1-Pause order does not work when there´s a shoot order in the waypoint. The unit will always shoot from the beguining even if you have ordered to pause first.

You are thinking of it backwards. Pause means stay here for x seconds before executing the next movement leg. You can use it to have your guys fire from a location for x seconds before moving to their next location. If you want "don't shoot for x seconds" then place two way points one where you want them to shoot from and one a single action square before that and put the pause on the earlier way point.