Axis AI in Barbarossa

Hi Al,

yesterday I tried AoC first time as Soviet Union. So the Axis AI made the first move. Setting was Beginner and without Exp Bonus.

I wondered, that their first action was to retreat some units (about a quarter of total number of units) back from the frontline and then the AI started Barbarossa only with the remaining forces. The result was a sightly weaker punch against soviet forces than it could be.

Maybe you can deactivate this "retreat-checking" at least for the first 3 turns?

Edit: game version was v1.01.

Had the same problem. Played the axis AI at Intermediate (+50%). They retreated many units on the first turn.

The game was essentially over by january 1942, with the axis stopped along the riga river and along the first river in the south, not having taken the mine or big cities by the lakes and river there. I could start pushing the germans back and destroying quite a few of their units, I stopped playing there as the conclusion was inevitable.

By contrast, the soviet AI at intermediate gave me a match until december 1943, when all but four of their cities were conquered (three in the far south mountains near baku and one on the northeast). I found it a little odd that the soviets kept fighting with 0 national morale for half a year.

Just to confirm with Al here, I've tried the latest campaigns under v1.02, even without the hotfix, and the AI seemed to perform as expected offensively.

If you have a chance to update to v1.02 from the patch download area found here and confirm that it is working as expected that would be great as we can then cross it off of our list :)

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=306&Itemid=535

Hubert

Tried it about a week ago. Patched to 1.02, same issue. I think the AI takes the troops to secure the cities (of which there are quite a bunch in Barbarossa to Berlin).

Hubert, did you try Barbarossa, or Barbarossa to Berlin, with the extended map? I figured the extended map gave the trouble.

Thanks Bertram and I tried both and just re-downloaded the patch and it still seems to work as expected.

I wonder if something residual in the 'Compatibility Files' folder is interfering with the v1.02 update.

Could you try navigating to your installation folder and then deleting anything found in the 'Compatibility Files' folder for the AoC installation.

Here is more info on this:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/VistasShowCompatibilityFilesAndTheScrumptiousWonderThatIsFileVirtualization.aspx

After you do this, could you try installing v1.02 again and let me know if it is still an issue?

Hubert

If you have a chance to update to v1.02 from the patch download area found here and confirm that it is working as expected that would be great as we can then cross it off of our list :)

Hi Hubert,

a quick test after updating to v1.02 showed a "normal" AI beaviour. Seems to working as intended.