Hedgerow/boccage combat real world references

Hi.

I remember some TMs or FMs about hedgerows here or at least some informal instructions or references as to how they were used

Trying to do design some first person shooter style maps with boccage and hedgerows and I was wondering if anybody has any real good references or pictures of what it's like to be inside boccage. The game already has boccage and such but most of it isn't very usable and we're trying to get replicate long strings of hedgerows that act as fighting positions.

Most first person games make them as basically walls which only funnel players around, completely squandering the capacity to have firefights. I was in Normandy in 2010 but I neglected to take photos of how useful the hedgerows were.

Thanks

Anono52,

Does a comparable book on German or Soviet WWII tactics exist?

No... not as focused and clear-cut.

There is Handbook on USSR Military Forces, TM 30 – 430. And the German equivalent... TM – E 30 – 451.

But these are manuals. Narrative accounts in the Closing With The Enemy style and quality do not exist... I think ;).

All the best,

Kip.

Does a comparable book on german or soviet WWII tactics exist?

You might give this a look. Also Osprey has published a series of books on various areas of WW II tactics. They tend to compare the major combatants side by side, but some of them focus on one nationality or another. I haven't checked to see how many are focussed on Germany or the USSR but you might give them a look to see if any are of interest.

Michael

Anono52,

No... not as focused and clear-cut.

There is Handbook on USSR Military Forces, TM 30 – 430. And the German equivalent... TM – E 30 – 451.

But these are manuals. Narrative accounts in the Closing With The Enemy style and quality do not exist... I think ;).

All the best,

Kip.

Here is the link

http://archive.org/details/1945Tm-e30-451TrainingManual-HandbookOnTheGermanArmy

• 11 months later...

<snipped>

... Closing With The Enemy, is the best book on US, WWII tactics there is..... by far.

All the best,

Kip.

A friend loaned me this book and I am reading it now. I find it well worth my time. It explains more than just bocage combat. It is an excellent survey of the other US Army combat conditions of France '44. I found the Hürtgen Forest chapter especially informative because I knew so little about that campaign. Sometimes redundant in style, this book is an excellent summary of the US Army experiences in the European Theater of Operations.

Good luck and good gaming!