Moment of Realisation

Having played the excellent a bridge too close campaign, I kept my eye on my scout team, don't know why, maybe I imagined myself to be one of them..

Anyway, they almost survive the first two missions, taking out 3 halftracks and 25 Germans only to be killed at the last turn in an 'friendly fire' explosion come building collapse.

I was speechless for a moment, and I said to my monitor, 'well, I hope your f***ing bridge was worth it'. It then dawned on me that 70 odd years ago real men did this kind of thing for real, so i didn't have to. It sent a cold shiver down my spine... :eek:

That immersion thing is powerful in this game. It is what I've always liked about all the CM games, from CMBO on up to the present.

I am playing the Scottish Corridor. I am tasked with capturing a town. As I move the lads up, I am facing fanatical Hitler Youth, or so the briefing says. They just won't quit.

I ease a team down the street and they are cut down from ambush. No survivors. I am steamed at my carelessness. I pound the house with some concentrated fire. Surely the enemy are dead.

I run a pair of men, one with the mg up to the protected side of the building, then ease them around the side with a hunt command. Both go down with horrible screams in a hail of gunfire. Damn, I am now really furious.

More gunfire follows, tearing up the house. I sneak some guys into the house and they find it empty, but the sneaky bastages have slipped out of the house and are on the back side, firing in through the windows. Two more lads down. There are way too many red crosses around this frigging building. Nothing is worth this. But, I have to clear the town.

I have two lads left from that squad, both riflemen. Nothing special, just rifles. I think one is a +1 so they probably will do as commanded. Then again, they are Scots, and their blood is really up by now.

No hunt this time; I have them quick around the backside of the building. No one is there; the enemy has fled. But where? There is a high wall around the back and sides. Those bastages have to be on the far side, where there are no windows.

I ease another team from a different squad into the building, and they apparently make a fair bit of noise, probably singing March of Cambreadth or something such - I know I would. I am hoping they will distract the enemy if they are on the far side. They won't be able to shoot them though, as there are no doors or windows there.

I order the two riflemen to quick around the far side and do their worst. They don't question it for a moment. The killing frenzy is upon them. They charge around the last corner, run right onto the two fanatics, stand over them as they cower, and proceed to empty their rifles into the sorry SOBs. It seemed they fired quite a few rounds...perhaps many more than were needed to do the job....or was that just my overactive imagination? If only they had bayonets too....

Yeah, immersion is pretty powerful.

Heinrich505

That immersion thing is powerful in this game.

They charge around the last corner, run right onto the two fanatics, stand over them as they cower, and proceed to empty their rifles into the sorry SOBs. It seemed they fired quite a few rounds...perhaps many more than were needed to do the job....or was that just my overactive imagination? If only they had bayonets too....

Yeah, immersion is pretty powerful.

Heinrich505

Oh yes. It is not your imagination. I am not sure if it is a side effect of the SOP of the Tac AI that shoots for a while longer at a known enemy location after they loose sight of the enemy or if it is intentionally coded. I remember seeing a British solider with a Sten gun part of a team that finally subdued the last German soldier in a house. He finished emptying his clip into the guy after he went down. Must have just finished off the last 10 rounds before he ran out. It was like running out of amo snapped him out of his daze.

Oh yes. It is not your imagination. I am not sure if it is a side effect of the SOP of the Tac AI that shoots for a while longer at a known enemy location after they loose sight of the enemy or if it is intentionally coded. I remember seeing a British solider with a Sten gun part of a team that finally subdued the last German soldier in a house. He finished emptying his clip into the guy after he went down. Must have just finished off the last 10 rounds before he ran out. It was like running out of amo snapped him out of his daze.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure what you're seeing there is just the "keep shooting for a little while at the last known location of recently spotted enemy unit" SOP. I doubt there's any kind of "bloodlust" routine in the code that deliberately causes pixeltruppen to keep shooting a WIA/KIA enemy, though it can certainly seem that way at times.

The TacAI doesn't "know" that the enemy it just shot was definitely the last enemy alive in that location, so it keeps sending rounds into the area for a little while just to make sure there aren't any other enemy still alive and kicking. Makes sense to me.