Smoke and White Phosphorous

A few questions.

I have a mortar that has 6 rounds each of smoke and WP.

Is there a way to command which they fire first?

Will they always fire the smoke rounds first than the WP?

I would like to use the WP on entrenched infantry to block sight lines and detrimentally effect the infantry inside.

I was under the impression that WP had deleterious effects on nearby infantry and normal smoke did not.

I always assumed that although I have no proof of it. ISTR that firing WP at enemy troops caused them to retreat out of the immediate area, but it's been over a year so I might be mistaken about that.

Michael

This is from the CMBN Manual:

"The M1 is the standard United States 81 millimeter caliber mortar. It is based on the French Brandt mortar. The M1 is capable of firing WP (White Phosphorus) ammunition, designed to lay down screening smoke, but with definite anti-personnel and incendiary applications.

Note: in the game, units close to a WP shell impact are subject to possible damage."

"Rate of fire .............................................. 18 round/min sustained

................................................................ 30-35 round/min maximum"

I am going to assume (and find out soon) that if the mortar lists

Smoke 6

WP 6

it will shoot the smoke first.

No. Not that it matters. Smoke and WP rounds are functionally identical, IIRC in the game.

You and AKD need to hash this out.

They are modelled differently both in casualty potential on impact and in rate of smoke generation and dissipation (WP builds faster, but is less persistent).