Moddability of this series

Hi,

I just purchased Combat Mission Shock Force and Theatre of war kursk via this site. Comparing the 2 base games, I like CM much better and want to get in on the action of normandy and italy, however the option to mod CM seems very very limited to me, all one can do is editing the sounds and textures, unlike the built in campaign editor and the almighty SFSextractor for TOW that unpacks all data files.

I've done 3 days of heavy browsing on the forums and just to list some things I'd like to change:

1. getting rid of the darned time limit for the stock campaign. I've checked out scenario organizer by Mad Mike but looks like once you unpack the campaign and edit the scenarios there's no way to pack them back to the original campaign state. Also only works for BN and FI atm.

2. There're some threads reporting 1/3 of Tiger/Panther frontal turret hits are on the turret instead of mantlet. Also the gun gets knocked out too often. If there're ways to access the data files, maybe there's a solution i.e. somewhere one can edit.

3. Also a thread reporting the Kingtiger tank taking some 6 minutes to pivot turn but turns too fast on the go. Perhaps worth another data edit.

4. Many other limitless options, mainly because I reckon I can fix them bugs by myself instead of waiting for an official patch which may or may not come. For example in TOW it was well known the german guns pen data used 60 deg plate instead of 90 and I was able to edit them all back (took 36 hrs of effort but well worth it...). The knocked out gun syndrome is also present: one hit on tiger mantlet edge, knocked out gun. Takes only a small data edit to fix.

yes chances are rather slim I know, but I'm sure one can hope.

I've done 3 days of heavy browsing on the forums and just to list some things I'd like to change:

<snip>

As @Childress said welcome and you will fit right in.

Yeah, if someone finds something that seems off, one of three things can happen, after a bit of back and forth, some testing some saved games sent to testers:

1) A defect is found and it will get looked at at some point in the future - the timing of which we will have no idea and BFC might not even acknowledge they plan to fix. Then when they do they might not tell us when it gets fixed.

2) It is working just like they wanted - but you disagree. Then you can argue until you are blue in the face and nothing will change. Then you can decide if you will accept it or argue some more in order to get a different shade of blue.

3) It is working like they wanted and you agree. Then you can watch someone else argue until they are blue in the face or decide to accept it.

Overall it is a pretty good system. :D

yes chances are rather slim I know, but I'm sure one can hope.

Chances of actually modding the behaviour - slim to none with great emphasis on none. BFC have stated in the past that they will not allow modding of behaviour only skinning of the look of the game. If they allow modding of behaviour multi-player games become a night mare.

Actually when I mention mods to a friend of my he laughs at me and reminds me that players cannot mod this game only skin it. He is so pedantic.

As a long time flight simmer of falcon4.0 i am deeply spoiled where everything is moddable. well except the code ofc. also there're games with scarce modding tools but mostly due to little popularity. CM series is apparently different because i see new posts here everyday and nobody is modding, but i'm sure you guys have a better understanding as to why than me.

yeah:) long as someone else is writing the game instead of yerself blue is always the color. but... just how blue depends:rolleyes: who knows maybe i'll be back.

As a long time flight simmer of falcon4.0 i am deeply spoiled where everything is moddable. well except the code ofc. also there're games with scarce modding tools but mostly due to little popularity. CM series is apparently different because i see new posts here everyday and nobody is modding...

yeah:) long as someone else is writing the game instead of yerself blue is always the color. but... just how blue depends:rolleyes: who knows maybe i'll be back.

Welcome Skwabie. You should check the "Maps and Mod" section both here and for CM Fortess Italy forum. Plenty of modding going on.