Canadians Attack! - BigDork vs Tiresias AAR

In the examples in this AAR, the infantry was perfectly lined up, with units right next to eachother in the case of the platoon, allowing the strafing run to be so lethal. In real life, such conditions would be very rare in combat, infantrymen would take cover in various directions and would hear and see the plane coming.

The aircraft would only have a very limited amount of time to train his guns on the small target, making hits unlikely. Infantry would be next to impossible to hit when the men are taking cover (crouching might be more effective than the prone position as you're being targeted from above, but minimizing exposure is possible).

Strafing road columns with fairly densely packed infantry could be effective, but strafing squads operating in a tactical deployment would be closer to a waste of precious ammo that could also be used on a bigger target with a higher hit chance.

A strafing run would keep the men from standing up and moving on, possibly, but it won't kill many with WWII accuracy and weapons.

Pretty much any squad/halfsquad/team will be obliterated by an aircraft's strafing run in game. If it sees you, you're toast.

One of the reasons it would be nice if the presence of onmap AA would at least reduce the effectiveness(accuracy) of aircraft strafing.

Doesn't have to be seen to fire and doesn't have to have a chance to hit/ko the plane, just put him off.

I would agree with ComradeP. In Greece when the Germans had complete air superiority there were occasional losses to men but the main effect was on vehicles. The men could see and hear in sufficient time to scatter.

I don't think there should be German aircraft in CMFI at all. What few appearances they made were generally on operational targets like bridges, or on areas behind the front lines - LoC, arty areas. Certainly the close tactical support that we are seeing here is not something that shows in any of the reading I've done, even in the early part of the campaign. By July the Allied AA units were being converted to infantry since there was nothing for them to do in their assigned role.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, let's get back into this AAR. A lot has happened and I'm loving this battle. It's certainly become a chess match between Tiresias and I and we have a long game to go.

Turn 13

Much to my dismay the MG team I was calling in mortars on decided to uproot and relocate. Talk about good timing for the team. This also leaves me wondering what Tiresias is up to.

5zip.jpg

Along with the MG team pulling out I get a couple more sound contacts on the other side of the hill as well. Curious. In our previous games Tiresias has proven that he's willing to go on the offensive whilst playing defense and it's certainly possible he's attempting to push forward on my extreme flank.

I do also notice a new contact closer to the house that I hadn't noticed before. The new contact turns out to be yet another MG42 team. It's a good thing I didn't decide to just rush my men over the ridge line. The mortar strike I had coming in on the departed team is instead shifted to the new contact.

sozx.jpg

uq4h.jpg

Turn 15

Despite the orders to shift the target of my mortar strike were relayed over a minute ago the mortar team still sends some rounds at the original target. I'm annoyed with the waste of HE but I do hope there may have been a straggler or two around. If nothing else it will get Tiresias' attention.

oiyt.jpg

What certainly got my attention was an explosion in front of B Company. Apparently Tiresias spotted my flanking maneuver and a mortar team is zeroing in on my men. I knew I could only go so long before being spotted but I had hoped to get a bit closer.

u2v9.jpg

Turn 16

A few minor corrections and the mortars are on target. If my mortars hitting an abandoned position last turn didn't get Tiresias' attention, my men blasting apart his MG team this turn sure did.

tqwf.jpg

That wasn't the only MG42 team to be under fire this turn either. On the left flank, one of the Shermans supporting B Company's push spots some foxholes with Germans dug in and starts firing on them. I'm sure glad my tank spotted the machine gun before the machine gun spotted my infantry.

h27c.jpg

Here's an overview of the map 16 minutes in. I'm still holding steady for the most part on the right but I am starting to creep forward on the left.

8bkf.jpg

Turn 17

On the left my Sherman manages to land a couple 75mm HE shells on target and I'm pretty convinced that will be that for the MG team there. So far I've seen very little in the way of regular infantry from Tiresias. It's been mostly artillery, air support, and machine guns. A bit different approach to defending but so far it's been effective. I'm certainly feeling like I need to be cautious.

tvvg.jpg

Unfortunately my direct hits on the MG42 aren't the only good shots of the turn. A mortar lands amongst one of my infantry sections on the left causing some casualties. It's the first of many and by the time the strike ends the section is reduced to only a handful of broken men who will be basically useless the rest of the battle. Thankfully though my Sherman survives unharmed.

jf3n.jpg

Turn 19

Since mortars falling on B Company wasn't enough I also am able to make a sound contact with some form of armor cruising around on the back side of my left flank. Considering all that Tiresias has thrown at me so far, I can only imagine with this may be. Until I have some sort of visual contact to know what I'm facing I'm going to play it extra cautious with my armor. I'd hate to run one of my Shermans right in front of a waiting Tiger.

iapx.jpg

Up to this point in the battle I have been sitting happily on my side of the ridge, focusing on moving my forces on the left flank. However I decided it was time to get a bit of recon of the village and also remind Tiresias that there's still a force on the right. Much to my surprise my initial scout team manages to take up position along a stone wall on the German side of the ridge without instantly dying. They don't spot any Germans in the village but it's a good first step.

i8w8.jpg

Turn 20

My second scout team I sent forward wasn't quite as lucky. They spot some Germans hiding in a building as they come over the ridge and start laying down some fire on them. Unfortunately for my men, before they can reach safety another German unit starts shooting and quickly takes my men out.

gaxc.jpg

2boq.jpg

And on the left I'm still dealing with sporadic mortar fire. I had thought the strike was over and started moving my men forward again. A new barrage of mortars begins to fall sending my men scurrying back towards the safety of the wheat fields. I'm making some headway on the left flank it's just slow going thanks to these annoyances.

zeqa.jpg

Orders

On the right flank I'm starting to move the remainder of A Company and some support units forward in preparation for the assault on the village. I want them to be prepared when it's time to strike. On the left, I'm moving my men around where the mortars are falling and doing my best to keep some momentum.

Turn 13

I have a request. Instead of turn numbers could you identify the turn by the clock time? Please. Something like Minute 32 or Minute 32-31. That makes it much easier to keep the two threads in sync.

Despite the orders to shift the target of my mortar strike were relayed over a minute ago the mortar team still sends some rounds at the original target. I'm annoyed with the waste of HE but I do hope there may have been a straggler or two around. If nothing else it will get Tiresias' attention.

Or better yet, it might make him think that you are missing him totally.

Crap, that's tough going! I've never seen aircraft, in my limited experience with them, be that effective.

-F

I'm actually considering myself lucky. All the big bombs did little to no damage and I survived with all my tanks intact. Yes my infantry losses to the plane hurt but that was partially my fault for lining them all up way to nicely. Still, 30 infantry is a great trade off for a couple tanks IMO.

Not been on in a while but this AAR is one of the first things i started to read.Quite enjoying it,keep up the good work ;)

Glad you're enjoying it! Sorry that it's a bit slow as far as updates. Tiresias and I are only doing about 2 turns a week or so due to our busy schedules and also not every turn is all that action packed. But I'll update it as often as I can. :)

I have a request. Instead of turn numbers could you identify the turn by the clock time? Please. Something like Minute 32 or Minute 32-31. That makes it much easier to keep the two threads in sync.

You are turning out some great screen shots - keep up the good work.

Great idea! I'll make the change with the next update.

Also, thank you very much. I try to get some good ones in there. :)