New 'type' of QB battles for singleplayer

Hello...

Michael Clark:

- Thanks. I have downloaded your scenario. I will have a go at it tomorrow.

Looks good (well made briefing).

- I will indeed follow JonS DAR.

FGM-Bootie:

- I agree with Erwin...Thanks for the tip. I will do some downloads.

Aragorn2002:

- I have hade the same experience with QBs and the AI. Force selection is not the only problem though...The AI does not really seem to be able to understand the difference between the various units but rather places them where it wants some 'boots on the ground'...No matter what kind of unit it is. Bunching up on the VLs are also quite common i think.

Having defences set up by an other player will be a big improvement for sure. As it is now (singleplayer) we have a hole bunch of beatiful maps (QBs) that are of limited use

because of the AIs shortcommings in selecting and setting up defences...

The scenarios are already more then half-done (and waiting for us)...We already have the maps !

All we need now is some decent defences to attack.

Hello...

I just had a look at the repository...

Both my first try with this (QBS one more roadblock) and

Michael Clarks scenario (GL The Loyalty of Garibaldi) are now avaliable in the

Gustav line section of CMFI.

Please feel free to give these a try if you feel like it...

Any feedback will be welcome for future creations. Especially the timesetting and force compositions macthup (to much time avalible making it to easy ?, Not enough time to do a decent attack ?, To many or to few defenders in regard to the size of the attacking force ?)

Thanks, RepsolCBR

Hello, Stingray

They are posted on the BATTLEFRONT REPOSITORY

I don't know if you are aware of this place ?...if not...do this:

- Go to BATTLEFRONT.COM

- There's a menu at the top. Mouse-over the option COMMUNITY and

select (click) the second from the top REPOSITORY.

- Here you will find a list of avaliable BATTLEFRONT GAMES.

- Click on COMBAT MISSION FORTESS ITALY

- To select uploaded MISSIONS and MODS for GUSTAV-LINE click on the

YELLOW GUSTAV-LINE (next to the incon)

- click on SUBMITDATE

- Now you will se those scenarios at the top. Click on DOWNLOAD

- You will need to be LOGGED-IN to download any content found here.

Or use this link to get right to it...

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=select&id=54&orderby=4

Hi !

I have completed my second attempt to build a Quick Battle scenario.

This one is called...QBS SON OF A SENATOR.

In this one you will play as the company commander of A-company (82:nd airborne) during the first morning of Operation Husky.

From the briefing...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

SON OF A SENATOR

July 10, 0.600, 1943

Scicily

Operation Husky (the invasion of Scicily) is in full swing. The main landingforces have been able to secure the beaches and are starting to advance inland.

As part of the initial airborne landing (dropped 6 hours ago) your situation is however not as good. As the company commander of A-company (82:nd airborne)

you are faced with a number of problems.

To start with...strong winds and heavy anti-aircraft fire ment that the airborne units got terribly scattered and also missed their intended landinzones by several miles.

Your current location is not quite clear...Somewhere east of Gela.

To make things worse...

The company XO, first lieutenant Bradford, has been captured by italian troops...Earlier this morning while trying to find the rest of our company

lieutenant Bradford and a number of men from his aircraft got ambushed by patroling italians.

To allow his men to escape lieutenant Bradford remained behind and engaged the enemy while his men where able to withdraw.

During this firefight the Lieutenant got wounded and later captured by the italians.

This is not good !

Besides being a good friend and a very capable leader...Lieutenant Bradford is also the only son of an important senator in Washington.

You have been given special intructions to make sure that no harm comes to this man. Having him captured or even killed is not a good start to this operation.

Your primary objective at this time will be to find him and bring him back to safety.

According to some local farmers, who don't approve of the axis leadership, the italians that captured him have brought him to one of the farms up ahead for questioning.

Time is short. We will have no more time for a stealthy approach. We will need to capture these farms by force. Up until now we have been able to sneak past some of the enemy

patrols but once the first shot is fired the enemy will know somethings up and act accordingly.

On the good side.

- You company is at almost full strenth having suffered only limited casualties during the drop. The men previously led by lieutenant Bradford have also been able to rejoin the company.

- The troops aposing you are not well trained- and equiped germans but rather second-line italian troops. We have seen no signs of enemy armour.

We estimate the enemy strenth in this area to be about company-size. Some units will most likely be patroling in the area and others will be deployed at the farms themself.

If we hit this area hard and fast the enemy will hopefully not have time to react. Any enemy reinforcements that might arrive will most likely show up along to road to Gela.

Thats it...Now let's go find Bradford !

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The scenario will hopefully be avaliable at the REPOSITORY in the GUSTAV LINE section of COMBATMISSION ITALY sometimes next week.

In this scenario i have tried to add a few more AI-orders to get a more 'alive'

enemy...

This scenario has also taken something like 10-15 hours to complete.

Hope you like it !

I thought i would try to do atlest 3 scenarios (to start with) to try and show what i meant with my original idea.

In the next one i will include some ARMOUR to both sides...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have uploaded my third QBS-scenario to the repository. This one is called:

QBS COUNTERATTACK AT BATTIPAGLIA

It is based on the QB-map ASSULT LARGE TOWN 002 that came with CMFI.

I have made some small changes to the map (primarily added destruction to the buildings to simulate previous fighting in the area).

This scenario will include a number of AI-groups.

From the briefing...

"19.00, september 12, 1943

Commander, Since the allied landing at Salerno a few days ago the enemy progress must be a dissapointment to

the allied leadership.

With the help of the luftwaffe our 16th panzer division have more or less single-handedly been able to halt the enemy advance.

Controlling the highground have enabeled us to bring accurate artilleryfire down on the advancing enemy troops. Inflicting heavy casualties.

During the last two days the the panzers from our 2nd battalion/2nd panzer regiment and grenadiers from 1 st battalion/64th Pz.grenadier regiment

have been involved in heavy fighting in and around Battipaglia.

According to prissoners taken. We are facing the brittish 137th infantry brigade/46th infantry division. Enemy armour from an unknown unit is also present in the area.

These prissoners have informed us that the primary objective of this brigade have been met. Namely to secure Battipaglia and the important crossroad at that location.

This is not good !

This will allow the enemy follow-up forces to advance further north and also threaten Montecorvino airfield.

Our failure to defend Battipaglia is a setback.

However, earlier today the 29th panzergrenadier-division arrived from the south.

The arrival of the 29th not only strenthened our defences but also meant that we could go on the offensive and launch a counterattack to try and retake possitions lost.

The first attempt, earlier today, to retake Battipaglia failed. After pulling back to regroup and resupply your troops are now ready for a second attack.

Let's make this one a succes !

TO ACCOMPLISH THIS TASK YOU HAVE BEEN ASSIGNED

THE FOLLOWING UNITS FROM THE 16TH PANZER DIVISION:

------------------------------------------------------

2nd pz.battalion/ 2nd Panzer Regiment.

- 5th company (3 pz IVG, 7 Pz IVH).

- 6th company (1 pz IVG, 5 Pz IVH).

- Supportcompany (2 StuH42)

1st Pz.Gren.Battalion/ 64th Panzergrenadier Regiment.

- 1st company

- 2nd company

- Pioneers

AVALIABLE AT MISSIONSTART:

- 5th company/ 2nd pz.battalion (3 pz IVG, 7 Pz IVH)

- Recon detachment from 1st company/ 1st Pz.Gren.battalion

- Recon detachment from 2nd company/ 1st Pz.Gren.battalion

- 1 section Self Propelled Howitzers (Wespe)

- 1 FO-team

REINFORCEMENTS:

5 minutes

- 1st platoon/ 1st company (64th Pz.grenadiers)

- Company mortars/ 1st company (64th Pz.grenadiers)

- 1st platoon/ 2nd company (64th Pz.grenadiers)

- Company mortars/ 2nd company (64th Pz.grenadiers)

10 minutes

- 2nd platoon/ 1st company (64th Pz.grenadiers)

- 2nd platoon/ 2nd company (64th Pz.grenadiers)

- 2 StuH42 assult howitzers from 2nd Pz.battalion

20 minutes

- 1st platoon (2 Pz IVH) from the 6th company/ 2nd Pz.bat

- 2nd platoon (1 Pz IVG,1 Pz IVH) from the 6th company/ 2nd Pz.bat

- Pioneers

30 minutes

- 3rd platoon/ 1st company (64th Pz.grenadiers)

- 3rd platoon/ 2nd company (64th Pz.grenadiers)

- 3rd platoon (2 Pz IVH) from the 6th company/ 2nd Pz.bat

- 1 section medium mortars.

These troops have been in almost constant contact with the enemy since the allied landing started on the 9th. Considering this they are in good condition and their moral is high.

Losses have been significant however. Our panzers have been hit the hardest and have lost about 50 % of their tanks.

The brittish seems to have fielded a new and improved version of the Sherman tank. One on one our panzer IV have been at a disadvantage against this new machine.

The grenadiers from the 64th are a little better off. They currently retain about 80 % of their combat strenth.

After a slow start the enemy have been able to establish airsupperiority in this area. Earlier today they attacked our artillery possition. Inflicting heavy casualties.

Besides our battalion mortars the only fire support we will have avaliable will be 1 section of 105mm self propelled howitzers.

The enemy aircrafts have also been attacking our supplylines. This has had the effect that only limited supplys have reach our location.

Make a note of this. especially armour and fire support will be low on ammo.

On the plus side. We have been able to pre-register a number of enemy locations (TRPs) for our artillery.

ENEMY FORCES:

--------------------------------------------------------

From the intellegence gathered during our first attack our

best estimate of the enemy possition is this:

- We are facing approximatelly a reinforced company force.

- The enemy MLR are deployed in revers slope possitions.

- The enemy have had some time to dig-in. No trenchlines were

discovered but most enemies are entrenched in foxholes.

- No mines or other obstacles were encountered during our previous attack.

- The enemy have a number of AT-guns and mortars at their disposal.

- Some Sherman tanks (new version) are also assigned to support

the infantry.

- These men are reasonabelly well lead and of acceptable quality.

TERRAIN:

---------------------------------------------------------

The terrain around Battipaglia is primarely farmland with many fruitfields of different kind. There are a number of ridgelines crossing the terrain. Running north to south.

These ridgelines permits the enemy to deploy their forces in good reverse slope possitions. This will make it difficult for our armour to support the infantry with long range fire.

The ridgelines also provide the enemy armour with good ambush possitions.

In the center of the ridgeline east of Battipaglia there is a small hamlet. The enemy uses this location as an observation post. This possition gives the enemy excellent observation of our

approaches and will need to be taken before any assult on Battipaglia can be mounted.

There is a small stream running north to south just east of Battipaglia. This stream is very shallow and is fordable at any location. Armour trying to cross will however run the risk of getting stuck.

There is also a dryedout part of this stream running south-east. This dryed-out part might provide us with an avenue of approach but be aware that the ground is soft and muddy.

This will slow movement and risking armour to get bogged down.

The fighting during the last few days has been intense. The only buildings in this area that are more or less intact are the forward fieldhospital.

These buildings have so far not been targeted by artillery. The rubbled buildings in Battipaglia and at the observationpost, factory and the 137th infantry brigade HQ will limit the abillity of armour to move.

OBJECTIVES: (all should be occupyed)

------------------------------------------------------------

- OBSERVATIONPOST: (15 points)

Any enemy troops at this location will have excellent observation

of our approaches and will be able to direct accurate artillerfire.

- FACTORY: (15 points)

The sturdy buildings at this location can be turned into a

good strongpoint should we ever need to defend this area again.

- CROSSINGPOINT: (25 points)

This dryed-up part of the stream will provide us with

a good crossingpoint when our advance continues further west.

- BATTIPAGLIA: (120 points)

The two main roads in this area meet at this location.

Both sides will benefit from controlling it.

- 137TH INFANTRY BRIGADE HQ: (25 points)

The goal here will be to kill or capture any high ranking officers

and aslo to retrieve any documents detailing the enemy plans.

- FORWARD FIELDHOSPITAL: (20 points)

The goal here is the same as with the HQ. To capture or kill high

ranking officers and to retrieve important documents.

Commander, your orders are to have Battipaglia secured no later then 20.00 hours.

Let's get this attack on the way. Good luck !"

This scenario will probably be avaliable in a few days in the GUSTAV LINE section of FORTESS ITALY at the repository

Gents

I am certainly not a scenario designer, but unpacking the latest module of GMTs "Combat Commander" series, a question jumped at me:

Did anybody consider to use board game scenarios as a basis to start yet?

I am thinking of games like Combat Commander, Up Front, Tank Commander, AHs Panzer Blitz, etc. There are (or were) dozens of games around, with virtually hundreds of scenarios.

Obviously there would still be a lot of design and building work to do, but they should be good for a jump start anyway. Providing ideas for playable historic situations, complete with maps, OOBs and special rules.

Gents

I am certainly not a scenario designer, but unpacking the latest module of GMTs "Combat Commander" series, a question jumped at me:

Did anybody consider to use board game scenarios as a basis to start yet?

I am thinking of games like Combat Commander, Up Front, Tank Commander, AHs Panzer Blitz, etc. There are (or were) dozens of games around, with virtually hundreds of scenarios.

Obviously there would still be a lot of design and building work to do, but they should be good for a jump start anyway. Providing ideas for playable historic situations, complete with maps, OOBs and special rules.

Hello, StieliAlpha

I personally have never played any of thoose boardgames but i'm sure some good ideas can come from them.

My first experience with tactical wargames was the CLOSE COMBAT series of PC games.

You can get the basic idea for a scenario from many different sources. I have watched a number of YOUTUBE documentaries to get some ideas. Your suggestion will most certanly work. Books, other computergames, googeling are others...