2vs2 - White Manor ME - Allied DAR

Since there seems to be a lack of DARs and especially from Macisles map I thought I make another one. ;)

No - just joking. But since I promised Macisle to make one and I also promised to make one of our 2vs2 game I feel doubly obliged to do so. But this will (probably) not be a turn by turn DAR since the main reason for this one is to show that a 2vs2 works.

It is actually the second game we do - the first was an US vs Italy FI game which ended tragically for the Italians. I won't speak of it. :)

The players are _Itchy and bigshout this time Axis and Jby and me U.S. in Normandy. We again went for a ME because we reasoned that a defending with two would be boring. But we will try that in the future.

House rules are: No Panthers, Tigers (King or not), Rhinos, Xylophones, TRPs. No preplanned artillery. Rarity is off. Random weather and time (dusk and dry). Medium battle size with 2560 points. The rarity thing was by special wish from the Axis. We don't know why, yet.

Battle length is 60 minutes.

The map was edited so that there are only 6 objectives each worth the same number of points. The objectives were also made smaller so that contesting them is more difficult.

Here is an overview provided by Macisle which shows the different landmarks for orientation. The US attacks from the north.

tacmap1920widthwlabels.jpg

Next: shopping

Shopping

The map is full with bocage and lots of buildings. We guessed that most engagements will be short range.

So we bought an infantry battalion and stripped it down.

Pioneers to get through the bocage if needed.

A single 57mm ATG to cover the middle road - the only place with a long LOS.

One full company of infantry with a bazooka per squad - just in case if we meet tanks.

The weapons platoon with lots of MMGs and medium mortars. These will come handy for hedgerow fighting.

To support the infantry we have a troop of a cavalry squadron. This provides us with nice M8s. The M8s are mobile HMGs and their 37mm is enough against AFVs and dangerous for a PzIV if we get it from the side. The cavalry also has lots of light mortars which we hopefully can put to good use.

Last but not least we have two M4s and a 105er for stubborn cases.

bildschirmfoto20130505u.png

bildschirmfoto20130505um.png

Next: first move

First move

We decided to split command along the middle road and not along C2 lines. Jby takes the right. He will secure the Majors House with the pioneers. I'll go left to secure the church. The M8s will first provide support and may eventually try a left hook surprise.

These are the initial moves. The M8 are first to the front to secure positions while the infantry follows. Theres also a little rush to get the ATG in position. We won't have time to move it later.

firstmove.png

Next: 2 minutes later

2 minutes later

The advance continues uneventfully. I order the middle M8 to advance to the area behind The Cafe. This area dominates the access to the Mayors House and without enemy contacts and the Sherman in overwatch I'll risk it.

The picture also shows the objectives.

54432406.png

Minute 57

We continue our advance on the village. The M8s take the front. 2nd Lt. MacDonald is ordered to rush down the main street to occupy the place behind the cafe. Major Ernst is giving cover with his M4 hull down a bit back on the road.

96839427.png

MacDonald only lurches a few meters forward when a shell brushes off the right side of his M8.

2v2m8brushed.png

The driver is wounded but the shell explodes harmlessly in the bocage. The shooting alerts Major Ernst and he spots the enemy: a Puma. But the armored car is no match for the 75mm shell:

2v2pumahit.png

The vehicle is destroyed and only one of the crew is observed to escape. Mac Donald takes his position and now covers approaches to the Church and the Majors House.

No other contacts.

Minute 53:

Steady progress everywhere. The mortar HQ is ordered into the Benoit Stables and makes the second contact in this game: a Marder III at the south end of the main street hugging the bocage at the side of the street. A quick investigation shows that the ATG will not see it but the Sherman just might. We will have to see what happens when'd the smoke settles.

Anyway a mortar strike is ordered on the Marders positions. After all, it's that mortars HQ who spotted it!

53marder.png

Only other sign of the enemy is an explosion on the far right. Looks like they need some holes for their tanks to roll through. Absolutely nothing on the left so far. I'm still a bit puzzled about what the enemies plan is.

@Kuderian, @SlowMotion:

Here's a small thread with some explanations:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=108823

I wanted to link this in the intro but forgot, sorry.

Game play is not so different. You only have half the map to worry about which is quite nice because you still get to see all the action. There is some overheard involved in coordination with your co-commander. But these discussions often give the impetus for some self reflection which helps againsr rash decisions. Of course sometimes even the other commander has a good idea! ;)

Overall it works quite seamless. The only hiccups occur when someone forgets to send the notify email. Then a turn stays unnoticed for a day. That's it, no other problems for months now.

Actually we are going to start a 2vs3 because our opponents have another guy who wants to play. I'll report how that works out.

@c3k: thanks - good thing is, that you can't see from this angle that the telegraph pole is stuck through the barrel of the Marder... :)

Whoever said that attacking through the middle is suicide is obviously lacking the moral fiber for daring operations!

:)

This is the wall between The Cafe and The Mission School. In the background the destroyed Puma.

qun.png

No one in school but a sound contact in the next building up a level.

We loose two men to harassing mortar fire. Else nothing new on the left.

45 minutes to go.