Oh, agusto!

agusto,

There is an Italian re-enactment group which re-enacts various German WW II units. The group is called Progetto900, and the E-mail is info(at)progetto900.com If you're amenable, would you please contact the group and find out, if possible, how fast, how far these guys can carry the fully assembled MG-34 on its tripod, and with how much ammo?

http://www.progetto900.com/reenactor/reenactor-gothic-line-luftwaffe-fallschirmjager-tropical-MG34-lafette-paracadutisti-tedeschi-linea-gotica_03.jpg

I strongly suspect the movement is either taking place with several men out of frame or that they are going for a visual effect using a greatly reduced crew. It would be helpful to have a real world set of numbers. Presently, in CMBN and similar, such a move may only be made over 4 AS or 32 meters, which really isn't all that far. I'm wondering how far these guys have gone doing just what the pic shows.

Thanks for any and all help bridging the language gap on our/my behalf!

Regards,

John Kettler

I would love to help you JK but unfortunately im an neither of italian nationality nor do i speak italian. My nickname (wich admittedly does sound italian) is the result of my email providers domain wich is @ag.us.to and that it sounds italian just happened by accident :D. I just took it and made a nickname out of it because i have never been very creative at inventing nicknames.

Anyways, since the website of the group you mentioned can be set to be displayed in english, i would suggest you just write them an email in english, they will surely appreciate your interest in their activitys and send you a reply.

Erwin,

I don't see a support leg sticking out past the lead man's right hand, so can't tell explicitly, but I do know these guys, like many/most re-enactors are anal about their gear. Thus, I can't imagine why they'd go into battle using an MG mount so obviously wrong. If you compare the pic, to the all-up HMG configuration here, things look fine to me. I suspect stability's maintained by tipping the locked in traverse and elevation gun slightly toward the lead man's body.

Regards,

John Kettler

Hello John, i also mailed them reading your post. I'm italian.

They answered me, telling that they already answered to another guy, they sent me the answer they mailed him, unfortunately i have not the questions, but it is quite clear.

-----

Hello,

we know the game, one our member was in the staff of another

game (ARMA) mod called "INVASION 44", his nickname is

"Rebus".

About your questions:

1) Depends on the men that are available in the MG squad,

but 2 is the number to move without problems the Lafette

(tripod) with MG, other men, if available, transport ammo

boxes and accessories. If you want transport all ready

without dissembly.

2) Usually each ammo box contains belts of 250 cartridges,

about the number of ammo box, depend on the men available

and the supply to the unit. An hand can transport 2 ammo

boxes, because the hey not simmetric handles, then you can

easy transport 4 ammo boxes with the 2 available hads of a

crew (if k98 transported on the back with strap). There was

the "tragestell" too, that is a frame that can transport 3

mg ammo boxes on the back:

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/military_photos/heer-luftwaffe-kriegsmarine-uniforms-3-reich/14850d1233089419t-luftwaffe-feld-division-uniforms-headgear-equipment-and-insignias-thread-tragestell1.jpg

3-4) move the MG on tripod is a tactic to change mg nest

during a battle RUNNING and without lose time in dissembly

and assembly of the lafette, it's good for movements not

over 50 meters in my opinion. Over this, it's better other

tactic, gunner take mg and he's operative while the crew

transport tripod (unmonted and closed to back) and

accessories.

5) yes, there are original videos, but, at the moment is

hard to find them, on youtube you can find examples of

training of german soldiers with MG and tripod and other

footages in combat where you can see something. Like these:

http://youtu.be/xwRCUrzlTao

6)about the times, with 3 mens (mg gunner and 2 crew) with

tripod on back, optic in box, belts in 4/5 ammo boxes ...

you are operative with a mg nest approximately in 1 minute.

Best regards,

Andrea from PROGETTO900.

Gruppo di Rievocazione Storica PROGETTO900

WEB: www.progetto900.com

MAIL: info@progetto900.com

Albe Pavo,

I am that guy! I posted the response I got, together with my original questions, to the We can but dream...Cool HMG move feature thread.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=110205

Since I wasn't sure I'd get so much as any response, what I got was incredible by comparison, and that's not counting the link to the splendid Italian SS in combat vid! Speaking of which, would you please check the audio there and post in that thread regarding whether it is indeed footage of antipartisan ops in Italy? Regardless, the footage, to a military history buff, is practically priceless.

Italian SS in Combat

Rest assured, I sent back a molto grazie and other thanks.

Regards,

John Kettler