Magic Trees

In a game that is still going we have just had an interesting situation which might amuse others. It did not amuse my oppo, but he has form for never being amused when we play...

Anyway...

The Magic Tree

The first photo shows the tree in it's full glory..

8903414874_d039a7f08a.jpg

Magic Tree 35_04 by msj_1, on Flickr

That is my shot flying over top of the tree just before the end of the turn...

So next minute of video is loaded and the tree has disappeared apart from the trunk. At a distance you can not see the branches as they are lost. Only by close examination did we work out the branches were still there..

This next shot shows the tree stopping a Sherman round...

8902807447_bf5200221b.jpg

Magic Tree 34_57 by msj_1, on Flickr

Of course in the first viewing of this video from a distance my Oppo Was screaming at the screen demanding to know what foul trick I was playing on him... Had I sent a bird to detonate the shell that was surely going to hit my Tank... (Loose word for what I have throwing AP at him)

Next shot shows my AP Shell passing tree, also shows nearby tree to show foliage OK on that one...

8902822669_fd4f591959.jpg

Magic Tree 34_53 by msj_1, on Flickr

The he misses again due to tree!!! I could hear the screams 200 miles away...

8903445122_87ff2650f8.jpg

Magic Tree 34_45 by msj_1, on Flickr

This last one shows my final AP round that does for his thin turreted Sherman...

8902832403_569a8c7722.jpg

Magic Tree 34_42 by msj_1, on Flickr

Good job Sherman turret hit as at the range I was firing I would have bounced off his hull...

So if you see Shells exploding in mid air, it could be down to magic trees who have lost their leafs...

Latest version.... 2.01

I can only think the tree has had it stripped by the first shell that hit, but it was showing as empty at start of video, so maybe a glitch? Maybe a feature of the game...

Certainly Odd because if I showed you a screen shot a tad further away those branches would not be there and it would appear as if the shell was exploding mid air...

It is interesting because Holien's successful shots hit my turret front and then the gun mount. To do that they would need to travel very close to the path that my shells took, I would have thought but were obviously unaffected by the branches.

I have never seen a tree being denuded of its leaves in such a manner before but because all events in a turn are pre-ordained, the tree appeared bald at the start of the turn and before my first shot actual 'hit' it.

Also makes me wonder if, given the height of the impact where the branches would tend to be very thin, little more than twigs, a tree should have that much effect on the fuze of a AT round.

As to no form for humour, well; two of my shells have hit a twig and detonated, while my oppos' shells have sailed through, ha ha, bloody ha! :D

Also makes me wonder if, given the height of the impact where the branches would tend to be very thin, little more than twigs, a tree should have that much effect on the fuze of a AT round.

Yeah, I wondered about that too. I think for simplicity's sake, any part of a tree will stop a round. At least that's how it has seemed to me many times.

Michael

Holien seems to be using the full trees, branches and leaves setting.

IIRC repeatedly hitting trees with HE will eventually degrade them, but I have never seen the above phenomenon (a denuded tree thanks to HE when the full tree branch and leaves setting is used). Is there an explanation?

Holien seems to be using the full trees, branches and leaves setting.

IIRC repeatedly hitting trees with HE will eventually degrade them, but I have never seen the above phenomenon (a denuded tree thanks to HE when the full tree branch and leaves setting is used). Is there an explanation?

I did not even know there was such a setting, I will look into manual later...

What is odd is that there are no obvious branches in the way and the two rounds that hit I presume are AP rounds? So should they have been stopped and would they have stripped the leaves?

Also I guess under the hood there is an area that has some holes in it and I managed to find the hole and Jim did not.

I don't think I have seen a tree lose all it's leaves, but maybe I have and never noticed it as there is one hell of lot going on in a battle and you tend not to be looking at the trees.

Also I tend to have camera mode set to hide leaves when you are close up so we did not even notice it was tree stopping the rounds at first.

This battle has become a game of high slope to low slope shots with trees being sued to hide the "tanks"..

A very different sort of map than I have been used to playing on and my second ever QB in CMX2 series of games.

All good fun unless you have your AP rounds stopped by twigs...

;)

I've certainly seen trees stripped of foliage due to impacts. I don't remember caliber sizes or number of hits.

Incoming vs. Outgoing trajectories ARE different. Rounds drop more at the end. It's not an arc, it's an arc with the far end smooshed in.

I'm not saying it's RIGHT, but that could account for the different results.

Ken

Incoming vs. Outgoing trajectories ARE different. Rounds drop more at the end. It's not an arc, it's an arc with the far end smooshed in.

Yeah... and I'm not clear on what is shooting at the Sherman, but a German long-75 will often have a significantly different path from a Sherman's 75 at both ends of the shell's flight.

This battle has become a game of high slope to low slope shots with trees being sued to hide the "tanks"..

Bitter experience has taught me that the game effect of trees and foliage is very hard to predict.

A lot of that experience came from a scenario called "Gegenangriff Auf Huegel 382." One of my favorite scenarios, it involved a lot of shooting to-and-from tanks on a low, wooded hill. My take-away lesson from the longer-range tank engagements involving the hill is that you can't count on trees or foliage blocking LOS or shells, but you shouldn't be surprised when they do. It might be due to a "hole" in the game's engine, but I suspect the difference in elevation between a tank's hull and the gun may explain most of the seeming-discrepancies. And a certain amount of realistic unpredictability regarding foliage may cover the rest.

Erg... that scenario also saw my AT gun put shell after shell into a tree-trunk a few tens of meters away. (OTOH, one of my units scored a 200+ meter 'shrek kill on a Sherman, so all is forgiven.)

Yeah... and I'm not clear on what is shooting at the Sherman, but a German long-75 will often have a significantly different path from a Sherman's 75 at both ends of the shell's flight.

75mm L/46 Pak40

I don't want to tell my Oppo too much, careless talk costs lives

:)

I shall have to look out for the scenario you mention...

FYI - We are playing on a QB map LJF ME Medium - Open

It is a long map and we are talking long(ish) range duels...

That duel was just under 700mtr

I had managed to get three shots off to his two.

Makes a change from bocage but does mean you need a different skill set to play and I am waiting for his Firefly to nail me...

And just to complete the picture some shots of where the AP rounds hit the Sherman.

These two show the first round that knocked it out, or certainly made the crew bail...

8912854775_004237da08.jpg

Sherman Hit Front Shot by msj_1, on Flickr

8913506516_d57a312ce5.jpg

Sherman Hit Side Interior Shot by msj_1, on Flickr

These next two the round is slightly lower.

8912864157_a68912a2d3.jpg

Sherman Hit Side Shot 2nd shot by msj_1, on Flickr

8912874011_9cde92601e.jpg

Sherman Hit Side Shot 2nd shot interior by msj_1, on Flickr

The crew had bailed by this stage so this ensured there was nothing left for them to re-enter...