No friendly fire fire with grenades?

It's been a while since I tested this, and it's possible that something has changed in more recent game versions. But if I recall correctly, there are no friendly fire casualties from grenades *to the throwing team only*, but hand grenades will cause friendly fire casualties to other nearby friendly teams.

I assume this is intended to represent infantry units properly coordinating close-range grenade use with taking cover, etc.

Also, bear in mind that infantry close assault of armor is graphically abstracted -- IRL, they probably wouldn't be lobbing the grenades at the tank in an arc, but rather trying to roll them under the tracks or between the roadwheels, run up and place a grenade on the engine deck and then run back under cover, etc.

In a home brew CMFI scenario yesterday my Italian guys were lobbing grenades at the tank in an arc but the Sherman was rolling too fast to get hurt. The Italian & US guys on the other side of the road (really close combat) took some hurt but I don't remember who got hurt and who didn't. I thought the same thing don't go for the hail Mary toss and miss just roll the darn frag under the tank.

maybe by landing under the tank the tank is shielding the non throwing team from the blast? and Jon S beat me too it but I was going to say something about how sometimes a grenade thrower gets shot down prethrow the team takes friendly fire from it. But I also think throwers are immune to their own thrown grenades, which seems fair.

Right. Since grenade use is completely automated, there's now way to be intentionally careful with them. The only insurance would be never to get close to the enemy, which would be way less realistic than the occasional nerf grenade.

Just consider the lack of friendly fire from grenades to mean that your troops are throwing them right and they know how to duck. The bonus feature of live grenades dropping from killed soldiers adds a realistic element of risk. (After all, at close range it's not unlikely to have soldiers killed while throwing a grenade.)

If BFC would introduce friendly frag from grenades you would see an outcry about unrealistic kills.

The AI isn't good enough to throw them realistically.

+1

In Theatre of War 1 and early versions of Theatre of War 2 wich both had friendly fire for grenades and small arms a LOT of micromanagement was required just to keep your troops from constantly throwing grenades at friendlies feet. Close assaulting enemy positions could easily result in more casualties due to friendly fire than enemy fire, the only solution was to order your troops not to use grenades except if specifically ordered to do so by he player. Now imagine the amount of workload required to micromanagement each and every single grenade throw in an engagement with several companys involved...

I am very happy with the way CMx2 treats friendly fire and hand grenades.