Multiplayer

Just about everyone plays WEGO/PBEM (as opposed to RT) for multiplayer and uses Dropbox to facilitate it.

Yes, I would also recommend Hamachi for LAN/internet play but I think you'll still need to find your IP number to connect with another.

If you haven't already done so I would suggest, as a starting point, referring to your game manual and reading the chapter on 'game styles'. You can then google Hamachi or Dropbox depending on how you prefer to play. You might be hard pressed to find anyone to play in real time though - CM is just not best suited to that kind of gaming experience.

To find the IP number on a Mac:

• go to the Apple menu in the upper-left corner and select "system preferences"
  • click "network"
  • you may have several options in the left column; click the one that is active (green light, status = connected when selected)
  • under the status message, you'll see the IP number
  • if that fails, click "advanced", then TCP/IP tab, and look for IPv4 address there

The usual problem is that if you are behind a router or wireless access point, then the IP number you just found is just your IP number on your local network, which is not the one people outside your network need to know (if your opponent is on the same network, then you're OK). That's why people suggest using the other tools; they handle the "handshaking" for you.

You can always get your external IP address - ie the one your computer/router broadcasts to the net - by googling "what's my IP".

You then have to forward the port connection to your internal IP if you are behind a router firewall.

Or just use hamachi, though I find it a bit annoying because it creates fake network adapters and messes with your network settings a bit.