For non-Brits & non-Americans

I'm Dutch and my knowledge of the English language is reasonable, but sometimes I don't understand the expressions and/or words and/or abbreviations that UK and USA (oops, and Canadian, ofcourse)born people use on this Forum.

The following site proofs very helpfull in getting to know what the f#*k (I bet everybody understands that expression:D) they're talking about.

http://www.urbandictionary.com

"counter-tourism(n.) counter-tourism refers to offensive measures taken to deter, prevent and respond to tourism.Before the 2010 Vancouver Olympics began all the manhole covers in and around the city were welded open as a counter-tourism measure." I thought this one was great :D.

What, "Mason-jism Line" didn't get your attention?

Urban dictionary's definition of "Gekki":

- "An alternate identity for the Invisible Ceiling Cat who is often not amused". Check.

- "For someone who is very very very rude". Check.

- "a boy born of peruvian parent which has antlers and a problem ridding himself of his virginal burden". Ch- wait, what?

That last one shocks almost everyone who asks what does my nick mean, and I ask them to check urban dictionary...

Though if you're not a native english speaker you should remember that many of these phrases are probably never heard in real life, or actually used. Then many more are simply made up. The Kettlerian one I believe would fit into this, though it is quite apt. Life here sounds a lot greater than it is if you just go by some of our slang on there ;)