possible problem with mine clearence v2.0

I am still getting strange results! I use engineers to detect the mines then i sent a squad across using the hunt or slow movement( Tried about 20 times now) each time at least 4 of the squad are killed sometimes piling up on each other,suggesting the same mine is going off multiple times. Before v2.0 going across mines without losing men was possible although haphazard . Now its a bloodbath .

Just like to add that my engineers only detect mines by setting them off,slow movement order used.

I am still getting strange results! I use engineers to detect the mines then i sent a squad across using the hunt or slow movement( Tried about 20 times now) each time at least 4 of the squad are killed sometimes piling up on each other,suggesting the same mine is going off multiple times. Before v2.0 going across mines without losing men was possible although haphazard . Now its a bloodbath .

Just like to add that my engineers only detect mines by setting them off,slow movement order used.

Use the 'Mark Mines' command after having detected a minefield. You engineers will stay in the mined action sport for 2-3 turns and then the red sign will turn yellow and you will be able to pass with much less risk of setting of a mine. This is only true for infantry though, vehcicles of all kind will always trigger mines, no matter if they are makred or not.

If all mines of a minefield are detonated, the red sign turns into green and you will be able to pass without the risk of detonating a mine.

Use the 'Mark Mines' command after having detected a minefield. You engineers will stay in the mined action sport for 2-3 turns and then the red sign will turn yellow and you will be able to pass with much less risk of setting of a mine. This is only true for infantry though, vehcicles of all kind will always trigger mines, no matter if they are makred or not.

If all mines of a minefield are detonated, the red sign turns into green and you will be able to pass without the risk of detonating a mine.

Thanks,that's why i love this game,even though it can be infuriating and frustrating some times there are always new things to learn .

I printed the whole manual out a while ago i think i need to dig it out and have another read .

• 2 weeks later...

Can you clear (detonate) mines by using area fire from say a tank or other AFV? So far, I've encountered only mined area (antitank mines in the first mission of "The Scottish Corridor"), and I just bypassed them because I had no engineers.

Can you clear (detonate) mines by using area fire from say a tank or other AFV? So far, I've encountered only mined area (antitank mines in the first mission of "The Scottish Corridor"), and I just bypassed them because I had no engineers.

Somewhat. You can move a tank through anti-personnel mines, detonating a lot of them. Your tank WILL take suspension/track damage. Possibly enough to immobilize it, especially if you move/reverse multiple times through the minefield. It will REDUCE the number of mines, thereby increasing the likelihood of infantry passing through without tripping any. Notice I did not say it was a guarantee. Many variables affect the odds.

HE fire WILL detonate some of the mines. I don't know how many of which caliber would yield guaranteed results. TARGET, not TARGET LIGHT, would be needed to force the AFV to use its cannon.

Good luck!

Ken

HE fire WILL detonate some of the mines. I don't know how many of which caliber would yield guaranteed results. TARGET, not TARGET LIGHT, would be needed...

"The manual says" that it needs to be 150mm or bigger for artillery to sympathetically detonate the mines. If that's true for DF HE as well, this seems a terribly inefficient use of your Grille's precious loadout... Like trying to get through bocage with tank gun fire...

Step 1 - Start Minesweeper

Step 2 - Select a custom game

Step 3 - Set Height and Width to 8

Step 4 - Set # of mines to 20

Step 5 - Click randomly

Step 6 - Try to click 14 times without hitting a mine

Okay, seriously now. As I recall; minefields are the area of 1 action spot, and contain 20 mines randomly placed in that action spot. Clearing a minefield by running a tank or other vehicle back and forth over it is entirely possible, there was a thread posted here previously where someone did just that and recorded the results. However, using that method to clear a minefield may cause damage to the tank, and will take about 5 minutes of running back and forth to complete.

Here is my advice:

1. Always send a two man scout team ahead of your force when enemy contact is expected. If they do hit a minefield, then you only lose two men instead of half a squad.

2. Do not ever send men or vehicles through a detected minefield.

3. If you must violate point #2, park a team of engineers in the action spot ADJACENT to the minefield, not IN the minefield. Once the engineers are in position, use the MARK MINES command. Then wait a couple minutes until the minefield sign changes. You may then send men through the minefield using the MOVE or SLOW command. Personally, I wouldn't use HUNT, because if the enemy has overwatch over that minefield, they will wait until you are crossing it to open fire. If your men are using HUNT to move across, and they take fire, they will stop in the middle of the minefield, and most likely die.

4. After the minefield is marked, and if a tank or fully tracked vehicle is available (and expendable), then you might try to clear some mines by sending the vehicle across the minefield first, then reversing it. Typically, it should detonate about 5-8 mines after driving over the spot twice. After driving over the minefield twice, the chances of hitting a mine with the vehicle decrease dramatically, so unless you have 5 minutes to waste, driving across twice should be enough.

5. BE ADVISED: The minefield you have detected by having a couple infantrymen get blown up may not be only an anti-personel mine field. If it is a mixed mine field, then using a tank to try to clear it will be a disaster. Unless you are feeling very lucky, or just don't care about losing a tank, see point #2 above.