dumb Q. on vehicle engines...

Some (real world) tanks were easier to start than others, some more reliable than others. Some tanks were noisier than others. The M5 Stuart ran on two engines and they could shut one down if they wanted. Panthers were notorious for backfiring, which would be especially bothersome if you were part of the crew operating the hand crank in back. :)

I'm not done. :) In good game design every decision a player makes should pose, one presumes, a cost/benefit dilemma. An upside and a downside. When Hiding an infantry squad, for example, you enhance concealment and but forfeit a degree of awareness. What motivation does a player have NOT to Hide a friendly AFV at the end of every move? Where's the downside? Or is there an undocumented Spotting penalty inherent to simply (abstractedly) cutting the engine?

I'm not done. :) In good game design every decision a player makes should pose, one presumes, a cost/benefit dilemma. An upside and a downside. When Hiding an infantry squad, for example, you enhance concealment and but forfeit a degree of awareness. What motivation does a player have NOT to Hide a friendly AFV at the end of every move? Where's the downside? Or is there an undocumented Spotting penalty inherent to simply (abstractedly) cutting the engine?

Perhaps the commander is too distracted by the possibility of being stranded with no traverse or ability to move to pay attention to his scopes properly? :)

PzIV's had a separate gas-driven electric generator for their electrical systems, including the electric turret traverse motor. I would -imagine- that they could run only that, tucked into the engine compartment, whilst awaiting the ambush. However, if my pink tush were in a tank, and I knew I could see the enemy and that there'd be firing, I'd assume that LOS works both ways. Given that the enemy could see me, I'd ensure my engine were running. Reverse is a useless gear without a turning crankshaft.

And if they can HEAR me, what good is my long gun? May as well dismount with crowbars, grenades, and handguns.