Topographic preview for maps

If by topographic you mean as a map, with contours etc, then the answer is no. Anybody can take a scenario map into Photoshop or similar and draw one, but it is time consuming.

On the positive side however the new map overlay feature always actual maps to be used within the scenario map making process and so the map file can be made available as a separate download, providing all the topo' info required.

HTH

P

Most people use grid terrain mods to better tell elevations. They can be especialy of help to see subtle dips, and rises. I use this along with just looking at the terrain to read it fairly easy, and accuratly.

If you want to see exact #'s for elevations one can always open up the map in the editor.

For those who don't use grid terrain here is a pic to show how effective they are. Follow the lines, and you see the contours of the land. I reccommned using them as they also allow quick reference for showing ranges, and help in pinpointing areas on the map.

usatan_zpsfbd00089.jpg

For those who don't use grid terrain here is a pic to show how effective they are. Follow the lines, and you see the contours of the land. I reccommned using them as they also allow quick reference for showing ranges, and help in pinpointing areas on the map.

usatan_zpsfbd00089.jpg

They look very useful,can they be toggled on and off or are the always there?

Yes, I was also wondering whether there is a toggle to disable the grid lines.

I tried 2 mods, but neither looks like you screenshot. I tried 'Bills Ground-Gridded 15.28.21' and 'Rocket Man-Aris Terrain CMBN Gridde Terrain Mod V101'. Which one are you using for the screenshots?

Yes, I was also wondering whether there is a toggle to disable the grid lines.

I tried 2 mods, but neither looks like you screenshot. I tried 'Bills Ground-Gridded 15.28.21' and 'Rocket Man-Aris Terrain CMBN Gridde Terrain Mod V101'. Which one are you using for the screenshots?

There is no game toggle on/off. You can take the grid tiles out of "z" folder to get rid of them, and put them back to have them.

This is a grid mod I made becuase I did not care for the color, and smaller grid squares of what was out there. I never put out since I use low res tiles to improve my PC performance, and figured most have more powerful PC than my 2005 that I run the game on. This actualy is the same Syrope terrain mod I used in CMSF that was put out by Birdstrike. I just added the grid, and changed resolution to eliminate shimmer I was getting.

usatan_zpsfbd00089.jpg

I know where my arty strike is going!

I know where my arty strike is going!

LoL!. I wasn't playing seriosly in that screen shot. I just set up a quick game to see how the tan FOW icons I had just made looked, and needed a screen shot for preview. They actually look a bit more on the orange side in the shot, but are more the color of plowed field as it from there I grabed the actual color used. They look more subdued in actual game than that screen shot. This pic below better reflects actual in game color, and here I am playing for real :)

tangermanFOW.jpg

...a work in progress. Of course I get rid of the actual colored screenshot image layer. And I want to add a layer maybe with a coffee stain and some blood drops. Note it is not the actual topographic details, this is just my 1st go in paint.NET. For those guys cranking multiple PBEMs I cannot imagine they would like this or have patience for this but I am enjoying making it and if I can learn how to make them quicker and easier then I will go back and redo my other scenarios.

armytopotacticalmapformat_zps713e0cf5.png

without the screenshot layer BUT not completed...

armytopotacticalmapformat2_zpsadd3e99a.png

What do you all think?

I am sorry if I am doing any impolite thing to this thread but I just happened to see it when I had been making this...