WIP-Pouppeville Map

Finally thought I would try my hand at map-making and since everyone and their mother did La Fiere, I finally decided to do Pouppeville, sitting astride Exit 1 on Utah Beach. I haven't finished the map proper, let alone begun to work on the scenario, units, AI plans, etc., but I figured I would show off what I have done for input, feedback, and encouragement.

Here is the Town viewed from the south(ignore the compass, I realized too late that you can't change it's direction).

2013-01-24_00001_zps262daedd.jpg

Looking to the east towards the flooded causeway.

2013-01-24_00002_zpsf8828074.jpg

And a wide angle getting most of the map, viewing from the beachhead.

2013-01-24_00004_zps37ea7198.jpg

This is actually part of a larger 2KM by 1KM map of the area that includes two large farms in the surrounding area, but since they aren't really part of the historical action, I'll probably hold off on those until after the scenario is done. Also, if anyone knows where I could get some close in shots of the town from ground level, period or otherwise, let me know. This is mostly Google Earth, GeoPortail 1947 aerial photos, and one period shot of a few buildings I found. Also, any more info on the action there involving Col. Ewell and the men of the 501st and the German 1058th Rgt. would be nice as well.

The scenario is in the works after I finish some sprucing up with the minor detail; flavor objects, making sure the buildings are the matching and that doors are where they should be, random crops in the field so that they aren't ALL fallow, etc.

It will involve a collection of Paratroopers of the 501st(40 altogether) versus 60-70 of the German 1058th Regt., 91st Luftlande Div. It was actually an old ASL scenario The Pouppeville Exit, kind of surprised no one has touched it yet. The actual battle involved 3 hours of house to house fighting, followed by a surrender at noon. By then the 2/8 from the 4th Infantry Division (your first set of units from The Road to Montebourg campaign) showed up to clear out any stragglers.

Here's a link to the source:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-A-Utah/USA-A-Utah-2.html

And a link to a map showing the movements of the action:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-A-Utah/maps/USA-A-Utah-4.jpg

And I actually have put in the elevation already, it's just hard to tell. The highest point on the map is only 21 meters, and it pretty much just slides into the flood plain right behind Utah Beach. When I'm done with the fiddly bits I'll post some lower, close-in pics of the final map which give a better idea of the lay of the land.

It was actually an old ASL scenario The Pouppeville Exit, kind of surprised no one has touched it yet.

It was on the Montebourg storyboard for consideration but I passed on it because there were no light German AA guns and because the best part of the fighting was done by the 501st.

Looks like it's going to be a nice map. Good luck with this ;)

Have finished adding some final touches like flavor objects, building changes, and switching some low hedgerows to tall hedgerows, added walls, etc. From what I can tell the town is an overgrown green hell, which is probably pretty accurate from what I can tell.

So here are so more pictures.....

here's the a view from the west looking east down the Exit 1 causeway.

2013-02-01_00002_zpsaf89ed6d.jpg

The School/German HQ building.

2013-02-01_00003_zps953c15f1.jpg

The commercial part of the town, looking south.

2013-02-01_00004_zps113e5c7d.jpg

And now to figure out the scenario. Skimming through whatever snippets of info I've gotten off of Google books, I haven't seen any mention of AA guns besides the ASL scenario. And I imagine if there were 37mm autocannon going off, someone would have said something. :) So I think I will be fine going ahead without them. Wish me luck on AI planning. :)

Thank you! I wish I could find some photos of the town today so I could have some firm idea what the building are, besides playing Amateur CIA aerial photograph analyst. I'm only assuming that's the school building from the size of the backyard and it's central location. I'm starting to figure out that this wargame scenario business is 90% supposition and like, maybe a paragraph of fact to back it up.

The scenario is in the works after I finish some sprucing up with the minor detail; flavor objects, making sure the buildings are the matching and that doors are where they should be, random crops in the field so that they aren't ALL fallow, etc.

It will involve a collection of Paratroopers of the 501st(40 altogether) versus 60-70 of the German 1058th Regt., 91st Luftlande Div. It was actually an old ASL scenario The Pouppeville Exit, kind of surprised no one has touched it yet. The actual battle involved 3 hours of house to house fighting, followed by a surrender at noon. By then the 2/8 from the 4th Infantry Division (your first set of units from The Road to Montebourg campaign) showed up to clear out any stragglers.

Here's a link to the source:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-A-Utah/USA-A-Utah-2.html

And a link to a map showing the movements of the action:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-A-Utah/maps/USA-A-Utah-4.jpg

And I actually have put in the elevation already, it's just hard to tell. The highest point on the map is only 21 meters, and it pretty much just slides into the flood plain right behind Utah Beach. When I'm done with the fiddly bits I'll post some lower, close-in pics of the final map which give a better idea of the lay of the land.

This is impressive. Kudos to you for a great map and nifty situation. I look forward to playing when you're done. Thanks in advance for your labors on it.

Finally thought I would try my hand at map-making and since everyone and their mother did La Fiere, ...

Hey, I believe that my La Fiere is the only one that was finished, with both sides of the causeway!

Have finished adding some final touches like flavor objects, building changes, and switching some low hedgerows to tall hedgerows, added walls, etc. From what I can tell the town is an overgrown green hell, which is probably pretty accurate from what I can tell.

Anyways, this is a interesting Scenario, I was actually thinking of doing this (or Azeville/Saint-Marcouf area.), but instead I turned towards making a certain Market Garden scenario (Hint: I asked about aerials for it awhile back). It's looking fine so far, the little things like flavor objects and building exteriors can go a long ways, don't be shy to use anything given to you to use. Looking forward to this, so don't disappoint!