Tanks Firing on the Move. WTF?

Of course if you order the tanks to advance then what do you expect? for them to disobey your orders and stop? In what situations then? As it is you can hunt them and they'll stop when they see enemies. This situation would never really happen if you advance with smaller move orders when close to the enemy, and use hunt if you.re sure you'll engage armor, in which case you want to stop anyway. Usually my tanks fire at infantry if they move, and stop for armor. However I have often noted my Shermans take a shot on the fly before they stop when they spot German armor. I wish they'd wait but it's probably more realistic for them to jump the gun sometimes. And I believe, though Im not certain, that if you have a Cover Armor Arc your armor will only stop when they see vehicles... I may be wrong, that would be nice IMO if it isnt like that.

Of course if you order the tanks to advance then what do you expect? for them to disobey your orders and stop? In what situations then? As it is you can hunt them and they'll stop when they see enemies. This situation would never really happen if you advance with smaller move orders when close to the enemy, and use hunt if you.re sure you'll engage armor, in which case you want to stop anyway. Usually my tanks fire at infantry if they move, and stop for armor. However I have often noted my Shermans take a shot on the fly before they stop when they spot German armor. I wish they'd wait but it's probably more realistic for them to jump the gun sometimes. And I believe, though Im not certain, that if you have a Cover Armor Arc your armor will only stop when they see vehicles... I may be wrong, that would be nice IMO if it isnt like that.

You can't emulate what the customer is asking for here with the existing commands.

What is wanted is shoot-and-scoot, that means a short stop, fire, and then move on regardless of the outcome of the shot. The existing commands all require that the enemy disappears before your tank would move on. That isn't useful as it would continue to expose the tank to enemy fire and of course it blocks the road.

Another reason why using SOPs would be better than piling up more and more different commands.

Me, I just try to make sure my tanks never have to shoot on the move. I've seen shots immediately after a crash-stop from Fast get fired up at about 30degrees and down so steeply they didn't travel 50m across flat ground before burying themselves.

I agree 100%. After watching a bunch of blue on blue casualties resulting from this I try really hard to make sure my tanks are stopped before firing.

You can't emulate what the customer is asking for here with the existing commands.

What is wanted is shoot-and-scoot, that means a short stop, fire, and then move on regardless of the outcome of the shot.

You can set Move way points and put 10s or 15s pauses at each way point. The tank can fire one or two rounds at each stop and will proceed regardless of out come after that pause.

You can set Move way points and put 10s or 15s pauses at each way point. The tank can fire one or two rounds at each stop and will proceed regardless of out come after that pause.

That's way too long and will lead to the classic CM traffic jams that are then in turn executed in unrealistic fashion (not waiting for the vehicle in front to resume driving, instead doing a Panther dance and turn your back in the direction of enemy fire).

Also, if you do that the pause would still be executed if there is no enemy in sight.

It really isn't what they did historically. Slam in the brake, aim, fire and resume driving as soon as possible. That is a lot less than 10 seconds.

I cant resist... once more:

What version of the game is that, looks like CMFI

All I know is, yes it still happens and that was a perfect example of unrealistic.

But it happens much less than it once did after they made some adjustments.

In general, it is rare now and we all know it is how the game plays. When CMBN first came out, we were seeing stuff like that almost every battle. Now I cannot remember the last time someone nailed me with a shot like that.