Map Project: Caen area

Rokko

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally, it's done.

3728m x 3984m, 232.068 Action Spots, and of those at least 10% were altered individually at least once (place a different terrain tile, add brushes, add some foliage, place elevation, etc.)

I could probably keep working on it forever, fixing and changing little things here and there, but it since I don't have a real roadmap for it anymore I decided to call it finished.

I will update it probably further in the future, adding mostly flavour objects (this version has relatively few) and little fixes, but I think sitting on it any longer is pointless. The way I see it, it is playable now - well maybe not playable per se, but usable for making smaller maps. As for performance, it runs perfectly in 3D on my machine, but that is entirely without units. I don't expect you can run it with any realistic amount of troops on it (at least a few battalions per side), but smaller portions of it should be just fine.

Now, when I upload depends on when I can finish the TacMap template (the only thing left to do). And I can finish it as soon as someone tells me which font to use for it (see my other thread) ;)

Wow, this looks great!

I am currently slugging out this June 7 operation as the Canadians with a friend in CMAK: http://www.the-scenario-depot.com/scenario_details.html?command=search&db=scenarios.db&eqskudatarq=5

It is an excellent operation and the map is great. Admittedly CMAK looks a little primitive these days, but the gameplay is still great. Panthers, 17pdr's, flamethrower halftracks, oh my!

They are files for the briefing graphics. If you just want to look at the map say in the editor you don't need them. To open them you can use Photoshop or Gimp.

So only the .btt file is necessary (actually it includes some example briefing graphics). Too view in the editor just place the file in the standard scenarios folder, load it in the editor and select "3D-Preview" from the left hand side drop-down menu (it says "Mission" by default). In case you are not familiar with the editor user interface.

Superb map, Rokko, thank you for this. Took me quite some time to load it through 3D preview. I couldn't load it via 'Battles', which isn't surprising. First time I see the town of Authie so detailed. Excellent work.

Edit: got it loaded via 'Battles' too. Took my pc a minute or six.

Im glad you could load it in the end. You can safely crop it to 3.5 x 3 km without losing anything essential, maybe that's enough for you to be able to load it?

By the way, my laptop has a quadcore i5 2,5 Ghz, 4gb of RAM and some AMD video card with 2gb of VRAM (can't remember which one exactly :D ). It also runs a 64bit Win8.

My assumption would be that lack of RAM causes CTDs with this map.

Now I'm adding more flavour objects and compiling information on the actions on June 7th, The North Nova Scotia Highlanders and of course the 12th SS Division.

Now I'm adding more flavour objects and compiling information on the actions on June 7th, The North Nova Scotia Highlanders and of course the 12th SS Division.

Any information you acquire i would like you to share please, as my project involves the action on that day, i have an Osprey book on the subject, however, i do not have any information on the Axis fortifications which were numerous around Buron and Authie according to first hand accounts i have read.