Canister shot at buildings

Shooting canister at troops inside a stone building is very ineffective in my game playing experience. I have noticed the TAC AI do this numerous times and while it is cool looking I have yet to see a casualty registered by doing this.

Even when enemy troops are poised at the window.

Why...is there historical precedence? Has anyone seen casualties as a result of canister shot at a building?

One would think crews would load HE and save CAN rounds for troops in the open.

I'm happy to hear that Cannister rounds fired at buildings are less than effective.

I recalled a CMBB game long ago when cannister was first introduced. My Germans were inside a church (in CMBB, the heaviest and best cover afforded by any building), but a T-34 cannister round decimated their squad. Cannister seemed under-modelled at the time, at least in how it worked with regards to cover and penetration etc.

I could imagine some effective Cannister usage versus light cover (small, wooden buildings, fences and low walls).

In CMx2 So far, I've not noticed tanks firing their cannister at buildings. I would agree that HE should be the tool of choice verses men in buildings, more often than not. But my experience is mostly based on "feel," rather than practical real world experience.

Cheers,

Gpig

Gpig,

Here's your problem. One of these

http://www.auburn.edu/~mitrege/russian/churches/021.jpg

is nowhere nearly as good for cover as one of these.

http://0.tqn.com/d/gogermany/1/0/E/5/-/-/MertenHans-Peter.jpg

YMMV!

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S.

I'm only half joking. Lots of wooden architecture in Russia! The Wooden Architecture of Russia: Houses, Fortifications, and Churches [Hardcover]

Yelena Opolovnikova (Author), Alexander Viktorovich Opolovnikov (Author), David Roden Buxton (Editor, Introduction), Vadim Evgenevich Gippenreiter (Photographer) A very cool book, should you ever get the chance to peruse it.