Targetting feature I'd like to see

One thing that I'd like to see added to Combat Mission's toolbox is the option to Target from a waypoint.

You can do all kind of Target "Arcs" at the end of a waypoint, but a plain Target command would be very beneficial.

I like the Target command because you can test out different firing and approach lanes to aid in setting up.

It would be nice to test lines of sight from areas other than what you are presently located.

It of course would also be helpful to specifically Target something at the end of the movement phase as well.

Unless I misunderstand your post, you can already do everything you're asking for.

Give a movement order and then select a waypoint. Hit "T" and you will run an LOS check traced from that spot rather than from the unit's location.

You can also give a target order from the waypoint itself. (I know this can be done with area target locations, anyway. I've never tried targeting a specific unit from a waypoint.)

Unless I misunderstand your post, you can already do everything you're asking for.

Give a movement order and then select a waypoint. Hit "T" and you will run an LOS check traced from that spot rather than from the unit's location.

You can also give a target order from the waypoint itself. (I know this can be done with area target locations, anyway. I've never tried targeting a specific unit from a waypoint.)

I don't believe what you say is possible; I certainly wish it was.

You can set a Target from the waypoint but the pivot point is always where you stand. The sight lines always revolve around the fixed pivot. Unless there is something that I'm missing you can't run a line of sight check from the waypoint.

For any target arc set to a waypoint the method of doing this is:

1) Click on the waypoint line which allows special orders to be set to the waypoint.

2) Select the Target Arc option and the arc center will be set to the waypoint.

It would be wonderful if I was missing something here because that tool would be so useful.

the target arc is set from the waypoint.

if you select from a waypoint I know what you mean, the line originates from whereever the unit is. However its deceptive, because it's still the actual LOS from the waypoint. if you select a waypoint you wont be able to target stuff from where the squads standing (unless it can still see it) and vice versa (again unless it's not moving around something or getting blocked somehow)

It's easy to confirm that targeting from a waypoint calculates LOS from that waypoint, and not the origin that it pivots from. Just look at the target range that is displayed when you drag the line around. It will show distance from the waypoint, and not the origin.

Also, you can easily confirm that the LOS is from the waypoint by plotting a waypoint past an obstacle of some sort, and you'll see that when targeting from the waypoint - you can now see on the other side of the obstacle.

Oops--I just realized that my earlier answer failed to make the most important point: while the targeting line is still drawn from the unit itself, the LOS calculation is made from the waypoint. This is easier to see in practice than to explain.

Others have covered for me and supplied this info. Thanks!