Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Hiding Vehicles - What's the point?

It was my impression that the thread was tending towards believing that the Tiger had NO starter other than the crank. Hence the sigh. ;)

I like the way lessons get relearned. Look at how the M1 Abrams has been modified. It has MORE machineguns than it had. It has modern schuerzen added. It now has an infantry telephone/intercom system. It also has a separate generator so hydraulics and other secondary systems can be run with the turbine shut off. Oh, didn't they also add air conditioning?

A lot of those req'ts were added to tanks after a lot of deaths. It's sad that they get stripped out, only to be added back after more combat.

Ken

...the turbine...

Oo. I thought all the turbines got replaced with good old-fashioned I.C.E. a while back. But your post has prompted me to discover that they didn't. Hurray! Jet tanks go some way to dampening the disappointment that we don't have personal jet packs and flying cars in everyday use yet.

A lot of those req'ts were added to tanks after a lot of deaths. It's sad that they get stripped out, only to be added back after more combat.

Bean counters. [mutter mutter]

One contemporary example of being co positioned with Cougar AFV's (a piranha with simitar turret). The cougars were left in an overwatch this night with their engines off. The crew hand cranked the turrets scanning their arcs of fire for two hours until we got the order to move out.

Not sure about WW2, but armoured cars, may have been used in a similar overwatch, engines off. Or were starters that unreliable back in those days.

Germans weren't exactly awash in gasoline so I'd expect they'd have the vehicles switched off just so save fuel. Except maybe in mid-winter when restarting might be impossible. American-made light vehicles like Stuart 5A1 and Staghound had twin engines so they'd often swith one off and run at half power, a feature Brit Staghound crews appreciated. Game-wise, lets not forget the the scourge of circling aircraft. Its been ages since I'd tried it but I think 'hiding' a vehicle when you hear the rumble of distant aircraft engines reduces the chance of you being attacked... I think.