Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Time limit

Kalibri

Hello to all,

I have just one question regarding the "Fortress Italy". Is it possibple to turn off the time limit for battles, campaigns?

For me the decision is quite simple, if I can turn it off, then I buy the game. I tried the demo, and it is ridiculous to have a feeling that someone is standing with a gun behind you and pushing you to advance due to time limits :(

Regards,

In certain campaign battles, there is short time limits on purpose to force you to take an objective at a certain time frame, which is realistic. Certain scenarios are designed that way from the start. Taking an existing scenario and getting rid of the time limit to make it easy is defeating the purpose of the scenario or campaign.

That being said, I've honestly never had an issue with time limits, because there's always enough time. If you had all day to take a hill or whatever, there's not much of a challenge. Sometimes they want you to feel rushed, and are expecting you to lose forces by moving forward quickly, and that's built into the campaign.

With no time limit, You could move "slow" a few meters per turn, rest for a turn, move slow, etc. You'd be able to sneak into every perfect spot without being seen, and would win easily with no challenge. The AI is pretty dumb, so you don't need any help to beat it.

Once you play another human in a PBEM, you'll see quickly that time limits don't factor in much at all. 45 minutes is more than enough time, even for Huge or Large battles on a huge map.

Kalibri. I completely agree with you.

I had this conversation a little while back on this forum. The devs have no plans to make it a little easier for newbs or incompetents or people who do not want the stress a timer provides. You have to do it the hard way if you want to do well at this game.

Enjoyable for newbs? Not really.

Realistic: debatable and highly dependent on orders. Sometimes it takes as long as it takes.

Personally I think their should be an option to turn the timer off. But that it should prompt a warning each time a mission starts advising that without a timer the game will be far to easy.

P.S. I might add that I do not have a problem with a timer but it is stopping friends who would normally play this kind of game with me. Friends who like to wait in a game such as close combat until the enemy makes a move. Hardly realistic if you are the attacker.

Thank you all for the reply.

Eltorrente, I understand your point of course and this is what fits you well. But, after all, this is a strategy game, and if a person who would like to try other possibilities with no time limits should be able to do it. As of now, as all of you can see, you are forced to follow a curtain path which you must choose because of the time limits.

You say that curtain scenarios, curtain campaings are designed with time limit, but again it is not curtain but ALL are designed this way, hence no other possibilities are given to me to explore other perhaps less realistic/less time demanding options, which also existed back in those gloomy days of war!

Challenges are different and it is a matter of adjustment to them instead of limiting the options to the buyer of the game!

I understand where you're coming from, but as Stikkypixie mentioned, it's dead easy to edit a scenario and add some time - you wont need to be an expert to do that and you wont even get to see most of the scenario-related information so playing it you will still have Fog of War.

Thank you all for the reply.

Eltorrente, I understand your point of course and this is what fits you well. But, after all, this is a strategy game, and if a person who would like to try other possibilities with no time limits should be able to do it. As of now, as all of you can see, you are forced to follow a curtain path which you must choose because of the time limits.

You say that curtain scenarios, curtain campaings are designed with time limit, but again it is not curtain but ALL are designed this way, hence no other possibilities are given to me to explore other perhaps less realistic/less time demanding options, which also existed back in those gloomy days of war!

Challenges are different and it is a matter of adjustment to them instead of limiting the options to the buyer of the game!

Yeah, I know what you mean. If you are a beginner and still learning the game, jumping straight into campaigns is a tough way to learn.

I would recommend learning on quick battles and giving yourself 2 hour limits, which is tons of time.

You could simply use the scenario editor like others have stated.

The one thing about learning to play by playing the campaigns, is that eventually you'll want to play the campaigns as they were setup - and by then you will have already practiced them over and over again, and you'll know exactly where the AI is setup, and the challenge is over. You will have spoiled the campaigns for yourself by removing the challenge. This is why I would recommend leaving the campaigns alone until you learn to play the game with single battles and quick battles.

Remember too that simple things like reinforcements are decided entirely by the timer. In some cases, taking your time too much is going to make your job harder as reinforcements show up before you've even got your teeth into the at-start opposition. Going slowly will also mean you suffer more from enemy artillery. Scenario time limits are a guide as to the pacing of the situation you're playing.

Time limits are only an issue if you care whether you win or not. And as a beginner, you should expect to struggle.