Spotting...seems legit.

The spotting really could use some work. I remember one night mission where I ordered my

troops to cross a road. American unit opened fire from the hedgerows on the other side, distance

was about 5-6 meters. My unit was alive for maybe 20 seconds under fire, but they never spotted

the enemy firing from just few meters away. Not even a '?' mark.

well, you can easily check if the unit really can see the gun. just go to the unit and zoom 20x to see whether the gun is visible or not.

if the unit has a LOS maybe the squad leader had a binos and just accidentally watched to right direction at the right moment and saw some movement. Crazier things has happened in the real life

Has the gun been firing? There are a couple of tanks in your screenshot and, if the 88 has opened fire, the US, Green, 9-man squad with binoculars probably spotted the flash. It's appears to be late in the evening, 2040, and I suspect that the environmental conditions are less than perfect, although you don't appear to be playing with Shadows on so it's hard to tell, but I wouldn't be happy with that result either if the gun had not yet fired.

I ask because I've called 'foul' over spotting incidents like this myself.:o

Hey! Wait! I recognise that map so I know what the environmental conditions are. Glad to see someone has struggled through the revised campaign to the bitter (hopefully not too-bitter) end. But my original question stands. The 88 in question is on the edge of a forest behind tall bocage so it shouldn't get spotted until it has opened fire.

Hey! Wait! I recognise that map so I know what the environmental conditions are. Glad to see someone has struggled through the revised campaign to the bitter (hopefully not too-bitter) end. But my original question stands. The 88 in question is on the edge of a forest behind tall bocage so it shouldn't get spotted until it has opened fire.

As I recall, if the player won the prior mission in this campaign (Road to Montebourg), the pre-battle intel for this map/mission in the OP shows where those 88s are, so I don't think there's anything wrong going on here. This is exactly what I saw at the start of the mission as well, because I indeed won the prior mission.

Has the gun been firing? There are a couple of tanks in your screenshot and, if the 88 has opened fire, the US, Green, 9-man squad with binoculars probably spotted the flash. It's appears to be late in the evening, 2040, and I suspect that the environmental conditions are less than perfect, although you don't appear to be playing with Shadows on so it's hard to tell, but I wouldn't be happy with that result either if the gun had not yet fired.

I ask because I've called 'foul' over spotting incidents like this myself.:o .

No, the gun hadnt fired,

Another did fire the next turn and took out my 76mm Sherman :(

I still have the save if you want it, or anybody else.

PS: and youre right, I havnt been playing with shadows on...I hadnt even noticed!

Its been a great ride, thank you so much for the campaign!

As I recall, if the player won the prior mission in this campaign (Road to Montebourg), the pre-battle intel for this map/mission in the OP shows where those 88s are, so I don't think there's anything wrong going on here. This is exactly what I saw at the start of the mission as well, because I indeed won the prior mission.

+1

I haven't played the mission in the campaign, I played it h2h (thanks for releasing the scenario pack, it was a great h2h battle) but I remember the pre-battle intel giving the 88 locations (my opponent would have very much liked it if this weren't the case). AFAIK, this would give all units a spotting bonus against those 88's.

I've seen some interesting spotting too. Had a night mission with my greyhound moving in the night but spotted an 88 hidden in the edge of the woods. 88 never saw me (played this a few times), but never opened up on me. Not sure if night only affected him and not me.

Various factors could always be reasons for spotting I guess.

Are you playing this as the end of the single playing campaign?

I believe that you are pre-warned that there are 88s there but can't remember if you get warning via the ? spotting icons at scenario start which does increase you spotting chances.

I have spotted them in the exactly the same way as you did when I played the mission. During gameplay it feels more like a unexpectedly successful LOS than any sort of genuine spotting issue.