On the road to financial ruin....

And loving it. Just checked my phone bill online for year end planning, and discovered an extra $40+ charge for internet access. Up here in Buttcrack, SK, we pay extra for time on the net, and I seem to have spent many, many hours reading posts about CM. Don't get me wrong, this is the best money I have ever spent, but I am deathly afraid of what my wife (financial manager) is going to do when the bill comes in the mail. Any suggestions?

Craig (the only wargamer within 800 klicks of Enematown)

Guest Captain Foobar

is there any way you can get a cable modem or dsl? It costs more upfront, but there's no charge for the time online...(ie phone bill)

Approach it like any other battleplan.

You gotta strike fast, get inside their decision cycle, make feints to keep their minds off of whatever might get you in trouble and MOST of all, flatter them. Flatter, flatter, flatter.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Great ideas all, I'll try them (and pray). As far a a faster connection goes, I'm screwed. My current record for download speed is 3.5Kb/sec. We might get cable modems in 2025 if we're lucky. (no cable at all on the farm, satellite downloads might start in 2000 - waaay behind the US in this area)

Craig (snowed in and hating it)

Lol Craig,

At least you don't live in Climax, SK (it's a real town guys. So is Moose Jaw!). Run her into Saskatoon (real town :)) and like suggested go to the mall and get her somthing nice. Flowers work real well too. Plus you can go to the puter shops on the sly. Look forward to Canucks kicking butt when CM comes out in 2000! That is is the crazies don't screw up the world on Jan 1. We had an idiot take nitroglycerine and detonators on a ferry to Seattle already. I think he was trying a new way to cook the turkey. Peace to all!

There, had to plow some snow, now I can elaborate a little on my posts. I'll tell you a few secrets about me:

1) I tend to run off at the mouth

2) I like to poke a little (lot of?) fun at where I live

3) I have a very poor and warped sense of humor (Fionn can attest to this, I think), and it is usually in bad taste

4) In a different post, I was kidding about the sheep (there aren't any within 100 miles - too far to drive smile.gif )

ROFL about the soot Doug, and don't worry about being impolite, as I have very little respect for where I live. This town is the only one I know of in the world that sends its sewage upstream of where it draws its drinking water from. (but we do have a lovely water treatment plant)

Zulu, I think I curled in Climax way back in high school, or am I being a little premature here?

Thomas, just quit snowing about noon here, and yes I'm sure we Canucks will rule the CM world when it comes out, eh!!

Craig (currently filtering his water)

ps Fionn, I never did get a reply via e-mail, no matter if you didn't send one, just checking. (still having serever probs here)

Sorry,

In 5 days I've managed to get 282 messages in my inbox which need answering ;(...

Most of the others are just deleted without even reading (if they're from mail lists).

I'm replying now though, before something else comes up wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Guest John Maragoudakis

3.5 kbs/sec?

Yeesh, I'm hitting 140 kbs/sec on extremely good servers. 70-80 kbs is good. Under 20 and it better be good to spend so much time downloading. Heaven is downloading 30 megs in 5 min. You know you have a great connection when it the file transfer feels like water pouring into a glass. Here in Montreal all it costs is 29 dollars a month, no time limit. There is added charges if you download more than 5 gigs a month

one of the nice things about the old days was BBS system that would allow compressed downloads of a particlar forum and using an offline reader to make replies and then uploading the replies... Under the Mustang method, I would make several under 5 minute download/uploads a day... In the modern age I tie up the phone for hours and still blow the same hot air!

Heh, I actually downloaded the CC4 demo (big mistake - crap) and I think it took almost 7 hours. Hmm, come to think of it, that could be another reason why my bill is that big. Could also be why the wife was so grumpy then (phone withdrawl)

Craig (staying off the coffee)

[This message has been edited by Craig (edited 12-20-99).]

Guest John Maragoudakis

I downloaded the settlers 3 amazon demo from ZNet(fast site) my download speed tapered off at 207 kbs/sec. In 4 min, I had downloaded the 48 meg demo. Cable is worth every penny. IMO it is worth demonstrating for smile.gif

I'm lucky to hit 3Kb.. ;(...

I feel like challenging everyone with a cable modem to a PBEM to make me feel better wink.gif. Ya might be faster but ya won't win wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Fionn, that challenge go to ADSL subscribers too??? I mean, we ONLY top off at around 50-75kbps when downloading. (Cable modems in my county suck, they are almost 100 a month for half-duplex lines)...

I pay 50 a month for a 640kbps dedicated line (not shared like cable)...

wink.gif

I'd like to climb on that bandwagon for a bit of whoop ass from Fionn. Nothing like setting a benchmark early to compare other players to.

I just hope I can run into some of the 13 yr olds who handed me my ass when I started trying games like Starcraft on-line. Yeah, that's right, rush on in here you over-hormoned, jolt swilling little swine.

------------------

desert rat wannabe