Here's some unquestionably good news

JonS

Fantastic news Jon, thanks for the link. The old man flew the night fighter version of the Mosquito in WWII for the RAAF's 456 squadron. He always said it was an absolute joy to fly with the only downside being the long term loss of hearing from having 2 thumping great Merlins engines either side of you roaring away.

I wish I could see it myself but it's good to see that at least one Mossie will be taking to the skys again sometime soon. What I wouldn't give to be able to see it in person roaring overhead!

Regards

KR

The old man flew the night fighter version of the Mosquito in WWII for the RAAF's 456 squadron.

Respect.

What I wouldn't give to be able to see it in person roaring overhead!

Yeah, I don't think I'll get to it but ... two Merlins roaring in unision? Oh my!

• 1 month later...

Now this is the kind of stuff that makes one want to do a fistpump and shout "Awesome!"

I tried using a more Nordic expression but I couldn't get around the word censor.

Also, I watched that video and now I'm thinking that Nuuzuland is the coolest place with the nicest folk. Surely Nuuzulanders can't be that modest and nonchalant.

I had this mental image of an anarcho-feral society where beer is being drunk and stuff is being hit with clubs.

Too much television, I guess. One of these days I'm going to have to read a book.

Ok, disregard what I wrote earlier. This is no joke, after writing that post I went on to browse some Finnish news sites. A particularly gruesome headline caught my eye. It involved a hospital, a man, an eel...and...umm...The word rectal was used and, uhh.

Anyway, what an unfortunate accident I'm sure. The man was treated and survived. The fate of the poor and undoubtedly distressed animal was left unknown.

I don't think I need to mention the country where these events had transpired.

Actually, after some consideration I concluded that such tragic accidents can happen to cool and nice folk so disregard this post too.

My neighbour (ex-RAF and RAAF) recalls that when he was in the RAF as an engineer they just used a whole dump of Mosquitos for souvenirs, spare parts and generally just ripping bits off to practice tinkering. He made himself a Scuba set from the oxygen supply system of one of them.

There is another one undergoing restoration at Point Cook RAAF museum here in Melbourne, but I doubt there are any plans to fly it.

Beautiful! That is a fantastic sight for sore eyes.

Regards

KR

• 3 months later...

BTW, speaking of old warbirds in formation, last August I happened to be outside when four fighters flew by. They were a little too far away to get a positive ID on, but they looked like P-39s and not much else. That surprised me as I wasn't sure that there were four P-39s still around in flying condition, let alone in one place, let alone in my neck of the woods.

Michael

P-39s?

Could they have been Russian somethingorother? There's quite a few Russian WWII fighters flying now, and several of them look similar to the P-39.

That was my first alternative. I only wish their flight path had been a little closer and I had had my binoculars and could have gotten a better look at them. Just another fleeting opportunity...

Michael