Etiquette question: last minute rush on objectives

If capturing the objective/VP location is part of the game, and what you must do to win I don’t have a problem with it. Do you mean to say when you guys play a single player game you do not try to capture the objective if there is 1 turn left? I say if your opponent gets the VP it is not his fault, but YOUR own from preventing it from happening. I have had people try to do a last minute rush only to be destroyed because he did not prepare the attack properly, and I was ready for it. Just play the game, and have fun I say. The only rule that I think is universal is no targeting artillery on the set up turn, unless one is the attacker in an Attack/defend. This is because it ruins the game before it even starts. Anything else an opponent wants to try then bring it on! Pull it off then shame on ME.

I've noticed there's two basic personality types playing the game. The first is the "Win at all cost" personality type, who one suspects would crack open his HD with a screwdriver if he thought he could somehow gain an advantage in a fight. The other type is the 'Experiential' player. He's not playing to win, he's directing and staring in a miniature war movie! He's more interested in the best camera angles, in the 'dramatic moment'. If a gamey flag rush threatens to break the willing suspension of disbelief he'd prefer to lose. :)

I've noticed there's two basic personality types playing the game. The first is the "Win at all cost" personality type, who one suspects would crack open his HD with a screwdriver if he thought he could somehow gain an advantage in a fight. The other type is the 'Experiential' player. He's not playing to win, he's directing and staring in a miniature war movie! He's more interested in the best camera angles, in the 'dramatic moment'. If a gamey flag rush threatens to break the willing suspension of disbelief he'd prefer to lose. :)

LOL and probably a few more in between. I think I am closer to the second. I enjoy watching my opponent win as long as it is interesting and especially if I learn a trick or two.

It also helps that a good part of the games I have played aren't basing victory on a specific VL. They are more battles driven by an overall commanders intent which my opponent and I have usually discussed to set the context of the battle.

Hell I'd gladly lose if in doing so I gained enough truly cool moments watching the TAC AI in action.

About the only things I consider gamey are opening turn bombardments on the enemy's setup positions or using known asymmetries or flaws to benefit yourself.

Last turn rush? Well, if it's a touch objective and I can't keep you out, then you win. If it's a hold objective, well, come and take it from me. :)

But, that's my own opinion. As stated, I will play that way but won't assume anyone else will unless we coordinate it beforehand.

I prefer to design with variable end times and serious destroy points on troops. Losing 50% of a VL's worth of troops to take a position that you may end up losing anyway in overtime is not a good tactical move.

As far as QBs, it is up to the players to determine. If your ammo bearers cannot keep his ammo bearers out, well that's life I suppose.

-