Saving a Real Time game for playback

I did several searches, but I might not have been using the right words, and couldn't find what I was searching for.

Is there a way to save the "video" of a real time game?

When CMBB came out (my first Battlefront CM game, I now have CMBO, CMBB and CMAK), what I really found cool was watching the replays over and over of the Demo of the PZIII's and PZIV's attacking the Soviet ridgeline. From all the different angles of watching the tanks being fired on, stopping, aiming and firing, was for me, outstanding and immersive.

ANYWAY, I played a demo again of CMBN bocage and found the real time version excellent for being able to react quickly. But I see no way to enjoy what I do with the WEGO of rewatching the action play out.

Again, is there a way to save the video of a real time game?

Thanks

FRAPS doesn't allow you to re-watch from a different angle. You'd have to go tthrough each minute, film all the angles you'll ever want to look at and then edit them together in a pleasing way.

There is no way to watch the game seamlessly from beginning to end with a free-roaming camera. It's been asked for about once a week since the game came out.

I´m pretty sure that Fraps is not a viable option here.

One thing is that Fraps doesn´t alllow you to watch the game from every angle - only from your own POV while playing. Just as womble said.

Another problem is that Fraps doesn´t compress the video while recording. Thus, the avi-files Fraps produce are huge compared to "normal" video files.

A one hour game would (based on the size of my own Fraps files) take up somewhere between 50 and 100 GBs of disk space.

I've just been delving in the CM:Touch forum a bit, and I notice you can save and replay the whole battle in that flavour of the game engine. I wonder what it is that makes it too impossible for the PC version, even though storage, processing and memory resources are all less constrained.

• 2 weeks later...
I've just been delving in the CM:Touch forum a bit, and I notice you can save and replay the whole battle in that flavour of the game engine. I wonder what it is that makes it too impossible for the PC version, even though storage, processing and memory resources are all less constrained.

It can be possible, probably in the same way as Battlefield 2 engine does it by recording what happens where, and when. Only capturing the effects and positions of everything, not calculating how they happen.

Probably because CM:Touch is vastly more constrained than CMx2 is. The maps are smaller, the forces are fewer, and the overall scenario length is shorter.

Also, there's no need - in CM:Touch - to stitch together 10s or 100s of PBEM files.