Hey Noobs like myself use the Repository !!!

Sometimes people think a double cheeseburger with cheddar and bacon is the best thing for that night, others want some Frenchy thing that I can't pronounce and probably can't afford. Each to his own :)

Steve

They are called french fries and they usually order them together.

*Note despite the sheer stupidity of our elected officials on both sides of the aisle they are in fact not French. Probably my single most embarassing moment as an American traveling abroad.

** second note - yes I do realize you did not mean french fries, just couldn't resist.

I almost constantly give a big thanks to the amazing work modders are doing. But, after spending man-weeks going through em and figuring out the best combinations I wanted to realx and spend time actually playing and having fun.

I recall the huge effort it took to mod the xnt Panzer Elite - a great game in its day. But, you had to be part programmer to get it to run properly. At that point in my life I had the time and patience. Nowadays I do not.

At this point I burn out a lot quicker on games that require effort to play when I look to games for pleasure, relaxation and fun. There is a reason why CM1 is still going strong - it is easy to play and enjoy.

I do not understand the drive for ever more complex games that require more and work of the customer. Seen it all before with the monster cardboard games fad in the late 70's and 80's - and if you're not old enuff to remember that, the maybe the issue of "games that are work to play" is a generational issue.

I am nervous about having to spend weeks repeatedly having to re-mod all the the various families of games that are planned. My question is about the issue of incompatibility. And I am surprised that modders themselves don't get burned out. I do note there are far fewer mods etc being produced for CM2 than for CM1. (Where is Aris btw - hope he's ok.)

I almost constantly give a big thanks to the amazing work modders are doing. But, after spending man-weeks going through em and figuring out the best combinations I wanted to realx and spend time actually playing and having fun.

It's part of the obsession. even if you get everything perfect the minute something new comes out, in it goes. Mod Slutdom at it's worst or best. And for a nifty piece of forum history...I coined that phrase!

And yeah, you are pretty good about thanking guys...much better than I am.

I do not understand the drive for ever more complex games that require more and work of the customer. Seen it all before with the monster cardboard games fad in the late 70's and 80's - and if you're not old enuff to remember that, the maybe the issue of "games that are work to play" is a generational issue.

I personally don't see this. I think the game is just more focused and I like that. I end up watching cool moments in turns even longer than I did in CMX1. And as far as the mods go, it's a thousand times better than when you overwrote stuff in CMx1. The bmps and wavs all have names explaining what they are and you never have to fear about screwing up your original install. In CMX1 if you screwed up you had to memorize that grass was like bmp 1002 to 1024 or something, so you could fix it. BIG pain.

I am nervous about having to spend weeks repeatedly having to re-mod all the the various families of games that are planned. My question is about the issue of incompatibility. And I am surprised that modders themselves don't get burned out. I do note there are far fewer mods etc being produced for CM2 than for CM1. (Where is Aris btw - hope he's ok.)

Well, save that nervousness until you know what's what. I don't think it's gonna be that big a deal. AND if it is the mod guys will adjust. Sounds to me like BFC's looking at making modding even better...which is good news for modders and better news for guys that like using them. Win win. If old mods become obsolete but you get better ones in return there's no negative in my view.

I think the modders will increase over time. It's harder than it used to be but the quality levels seem to much be higher. If you remember during CMBO's hey day there were about the same amount of prolific modders...now a lot of them are making the graphics you see when you first buy a game so you are getting their content in another less advertised form. But on one hand you are saying their aren't enough guys doing it and on the other you are worried there'll be too many. LOL.

Anyway, don't take my pissy posts from earlier, personally, Erwin. I still like you, and have always liked you, even though you can twist my undies sometimes. LOL. Your nit picking is part of your trademark and makes you the character that you are.

Mord.

While I can certainly relate (I am still putting together a folder system by unit for the mods I want) I don't actually think all this will add that much more time.

For example. I have a couple PBEMs going on and more expected plus a couple scenarios and probably some campaigns soon. If I want my mods to work I have to shift folders almost EVERY time I start up a game or switch games. Sure I don't have to, but then I'll be fighting a battle using the 9th ID and all my guys are showing up as the 35th ID. There is a definite downside to getting in to using mods, but the direction BFC is going seems to be to actually make this easier so maybe version 3 when I use the 9th ID it will automatically use the images specified in the game for the 9th ID. No idea if that will actually be the case, but it seems to be the direction I have seen in some of the banter back and forth. (IIRC LLF raised some points about subfolders) If that were the case when it was released, all a modder need do is rename files to apply. Ya gotta love that. (assuming it ever happens).

Well Mord, your undies are just so.... twistable... Mmmm....

And I am not nit-picking, just making blindingly self-obvious and illuminating observations... Thank you... :)

(And keep sending the used underwear, I think I have found a market for them with beautiful sexy women who for some reason like to sniff em...)

You will receive the agreed net profit distribution after development, production, marketing and distribution costs, plus cash investors reach breakeven. So... expect your windfall to arrive approx around the time CM3: POLAND 1939 is released.

(Yes, I used to work in the film biz lol.)

I can remember people being upset with some textures/mods in CMx1 because they were too 'factory-fresh', but then we have mods like Aris' dirtied-up vehicles in CMBN and some people prefer the non-weathered versions. To each their own.

Well, to be fair, many of the stock vehicle textures have nice weathering on them. For instance, the American Shermans have a nice layer of dirt on them that looks good without being overdone.