New file at the Repository: A Ranger Squad Gets a Tall Order! (2012-06-22)

Based on the September 2005 Armchair General "Combat!" scenario A Ranger Squad Gets a Tall Order!, command a squad of infantry supported by a Sherman as you advance on a hamlet. A critical decision must be made as enemy reinforcements are approaching on both flanks.Antal, John. (2005, September). A Ranger Squad Gets a Tall Order! Armchair General, II(4), 40-42.

More...

• 4 months later...

A Ranger Squad Gets a Tall Order!

CM BfN Base Game scenario

submitted 25-June-2012

file author: Ed William (Pellaeon)

- June 9th, 1944

- Duration = 15 minutes

- US Rangers with tank support vs. German Grenadier Infantry with anti-tank support.

- Americans are ambushed approaching a Normandy crossroads hamlet.

Gameplay report - played as both USA and GER on WARRIOR setting.

A very snappy little scenario! Great opportunities to explore CMBfN. This is a very useful "combat laboratory" for exploring small unit options in short duration experiments.

Thank you @Pellaeon for the time and effort you put into creating this scenario for the rest of us to play!

====================================================================================

The adage goes that the difference between a fairy tale and a war story is that fairy tales begin with, "Once upon a time" while war stories start, "And there I was".

So, there I was. As a relative newbie, I'm playing USA only CMBfN battles in "historical" order from D-Day through the end of the campaign; meaning I started with scenarios dated June 6th and am working my way through the Normandy Campaign day-by-day in calendar sequence. (I'm using Michael Wellhoefer's repository mod "CMBN Scenario Organisor v0.22" to sequence this.) I had just completed my first CMBfN battalion sized scenario and was a little drained from the intensity of managing over sixty combat elements on each side.

Next up came "A Ranger Squad Gets a Tall Order!". What a sweet little surprise! I was really ready for this short and intense encounter.

This is a tiny battle. Both sides command one (1) squad (that's right, only 9-12 men) with armored vehicle support in their deployment zones. The GER player commands a grenadier squad and two (2) StuG's. The USA fields a ranger squad plus a bazooka team and one (1) M4 Sherman tank.

This scenario provides more than enough time for each side to perform their missions. As a tiny battle, it will take 15-25 minutes for solitary play. So, when you find yourself with a half hour waiting for your wife / girl friend / significant other to finish getting ready before you join them, this is the daily CM game-crack fix for you! Ready, set, go, and done; without being harangued for spending too much time gaming!

#####################

<<< SPOILERS FOLLOW >>>

#####################

2) Conduct of operations.

2a) As US Player, you command "crack" infantry and a "regular" tank crew.

When your mother taught you that you can't run away from the bad things in life, she was training you for counter-ambush techniques. The US player takes enemy fire immediately upon set-up. You can't outrun it and you certainly can't hide from it. Rangers are tough. They'll take initial losses without turning tail.

The Germans have you in their cross-hairs. You check your gut and dish back in kind. Success comes from suppressing the German ambushers immediately. Use the tank to target one house and split small arms fire between the other two. The guys to hide and protect are the bazooka team!

During your first minute, the hamlet will erupt in fire and a StuG will advance from your left front. Keep your tank out of StuG lines of fire, use your tank to light up the leftmost house and support the infantry. As your tank rounds fly past the StuG's front, it will back off to find a hunker-down and wait-you-out position.

During subsequent minutes, get your AT team out of the cemetery into the left side buildings and find a position shielded from small arm fires to wait for the StuG's reappearance. While this is going on, the German ambushers should start taking losses or become suppressed. That's when your Ranger's should advance by bounding teams next to, around, or into cleared houses. The tank should stay back shielded by left flank buildings to continue raking the hamlet. At the same time, a second StuG will appear across the bridge on the right flank of the hamlet. A well positioned tank facing the hamlet diagonally will take that StuG out before it can react.

As the game progresses, the Rangers should continue winkling out the Grenadiers and the bazooka team should lie in wait for the remaining StuG. The tank should stay beside the left flank of the cemetery providing over-watching fires. At some point in time the left flank StuG will need to react. Either the tank or the bazooka team will likely take it out. The Rangers, in the meantime, should always use one squad as the unmoving base of fire to cover any other squad maneuvering to secure the houses in the hamlet. Soon enough, they will prevail and accomplish your mission.

2b) As the German Player, you command a "veteran" Grenadier squad with an MG34 and two (2) "regular" crewed StuGs.

The German player will find the American Rangers exposed in the kill zone of their ambush area. The Germans have line of sight into and around the cemetery. Cover and concealment matters from the beginning.

You need to realize that buildings draw fire. The Ami tank will blow your socks off. Consider deploying only one (1) team in a building and the rest of your squad back in the hedgerows where they have concealment, some cover, and lanes of fire into the cemetery.

I decided to use my right flank StuG to suppress the Ranger's left flank. I raced my left flank StuG to the edge of the wood line and hunted from there to target the Sherman. The infantry will get shot up somewhat. The idea was to prevent the Ami's from advancing and let my armor rake their flanks. It takes a while and the Ami's don't back off readily.

##################

<<< SPOILERS END >>>

##################

Assessment: This scenario is more fun to play as the Americans and easier to win as the Germans. The beauty of this scenario is how quickly the battle reaches resolution. When you screw up, you have plenty of time to start over, avoid your mistakes, and try again. I was way too tentative as the Americans in my first tries at this. It did not go well until I adapted.

What this scenario really does is let you experiment with all kinds of "what if's?"

As USA player:

- What happens when I deploy the Rangers as close to the hamlet as possible?

- What happens when I deploy the Rangers as far from the hamlet as possible?

- Where should my bazooka go? How long can it sit there? When can I scoot and shoot?

- My tank crew is unbuttoned, should I leave them that way?

As GER player:

- What happens when I deploy all my infantry among the three houses?

- What happens when I don't?

- Defend forward? Defend back?

- How cool are StuG's? What's the best way to use them?

USA player has to grit his teeth, check his gut, and deal with hot lead in close proximity.

GER player gets to develop the situation and learn the value of prudence.

Both sides let you watch the effects of different weapons and see what happens when you change how you use them. This is a scenario best played against the AI and used as a Combat Lab. It is not a scenario I would play H2H because there's too little room for creative solutions and it ends so quickly.

I highly recommend this scenario to CMBfN newbies. It is an exceptional "learning" scenario. I had a lot of fun replaying it using many different tactical plans.

Rate "4" for map design.

Rate "5" for AI deployment of forces.

Rate "5/4" for USA initial play / replay against AI.

Rate "4/4" for GER initial play / replay against AI.

MOD Recommendation: This is the scenario to play using "Vein's Germans" and "Vein's 2nd Rangers US uniform" mods along with "Mord & DC's unit portrait mod"!

Good luck and good gaming!