Installation of CM

Just got done installing CMBN vanilla on my other computer. Everything was fine as far as installation and everything else. The game opened up, sound worked, it all seemed fine except for what I can only describe as crud being around all the text. This does not happen on my main Desktop.

When I begin a battle, I get to the Briefings screen.

I can click through the pages, and the sound works (IE: I can hear soldiers idly chatting with each other). As soon as I click begin, however, the game does its little pause (but apparently still working) shtick and then finally cuts out and pops up an error telling me its crashed.

Has anyone else encountered this error? I think it has something to do with the "crud" as this stuff is all around the text buttons and before anything else happens screams (at least to my mind) ERROR.

(independent of it crashing, but I assume they must be connected.)

Any ideas? I couldn't seem to find anything on this or any related board... even tried googling it.

Thanks in advance-

Colin

Just got done installing CMBN vanilla on my other computer. Everything was fine as far as installation and everything else. The game opened up, sound worked, it all seemed fine except for what I can only describe as crud being around all the text. This does not happen on my main Desktop.

When I begin a battle, I get to the Briefings screen.

I can click through the pages, and the sound works (IE: I can hear soldiers idly chatting with each other). As soon as I click begin, however, the game does its little pause (but apparently still working) shtick and then finally cuts out and pops up an error telling me its crashed.

Has anyone else encountered this error? I think it has something to do with the "crud" as this stuff is all around the text buttons and before anything else happens screams (at least to my mind) ERROR.

(independent of it crashing, but I assume they must be connected.)

Any ideas? I couldn't seem to find anything on this or any related board... even tried googling it.

Thanks in advance-

Colin

If you haven't already, post this to the technical support forum. I haven't had this problem but they should be able to help you.

Sounds like you may be running this on an Intel integrated video. While this may work on the Mac (where there are no issues to my knowledge); on the PC it is very problematic and is NOT recommended.

If you're running CMBN on a laptop, then you may have a solution if your laptop also has a dedicated GPU (Nvidia or AMD). You'll have to find some way of forcing the game to run on the GPU rather than the Intel integrated video. With Nvidia GPUs I believe that you will need to create a 'profile' in the Nvidia Control Panel's 3D Management section. With AMD, I'm not exactly sure what the course of action may be to get the game running on the GPU.

If your computer ONLY has the Intel integrated video, then you will want to upgrade to a dedicated video card for a desktop or if this is a laptop, then it just isn't going to be a good platform for CMBN.

The issue with Intel is primarily their drivers. The video hardware generally should be able to handle the game's requirements (though not with much performance). However Intel has done some things within their driver that is causing the 'blocky' text and instability in the game. On the Mac side Intel integrated video seems to work fairly well from what little I know about it on the Mac.

I've got a laptop with integrated video and choosable dedicated accelerator. It SHOULD use the dedicated grapshics when needed, but it doesn't seem to do it on it's own. All I need to do is right-click on the executable and the menu will allow me choose which level of graphics acceleration I use. I only have to do that once, then the setting sticks.

(Certainly not trying to match tech-wits with Schrullenhaft!)