A few questions on etiquette...

I was just starting a game in a tournament ladder and my opponent shelled my startup zone. Apparently, the common rules of basic humanity and sportsmanship aren't so common.

The community that set up that ladder should weed this person out.

If not, play in a different community. Or suck it up, I guess.

"Don't bomb setup zones" is the basic rule that seems to be everywhere. It's just common sense.

Same with rockets.

Other than rockets, I don't think that there is much common ground on force selection non-cheesy rules: there are as many opinions as people.

The good thing is that the game is realistic enough that most cheezy force selections don't survive long. Someone might pull one off on you once, but if they try it again you will respond with the counter to that move.

Of course, that doesn't help if you are just playing random people off the web. But if you are in a (worthwhile) community, cheezy force selection doesn't survive long.

GaJ

If not, play in a different community.

Of course, that doesn't help if you are just playing random people off the web. But if you are in a (worthwhile) community, cheezy force selection doesn't survive long.

GaJ

Hey GaJ,

I just wanted to sing the praises of your H2HH. It's a fine program that truly changes the way Combat Mission plays by streamlining the PBEM interface. What communities do you, or anyone else, recommend as being pretty respectable? I don't necessarily rule out the one I'm playing on as much as the player I'm up against (unless I see this action repeated).

Thanks.

"Don't bomb setup zones" is the basic rule that seems to be everywhere. It's just common sense.

FWIW, I don't often play QBs - I'm basically a QB n00b whenever I play one. I played a CMBN QB in a more-or-less pickup game a few months ago. As I recall I did a light-long mortar mission on the location I assumed was the enemy SUZ. We talked about it during the game and came to the conclusion that it is probably Not A Good Thing To Do.

The point of this anecdote is twofold.

1) n00bs won't know the rules you use

2) even if you think a rule is 'obvious' and 'used by everyone', it's probably still worth reiterating the ones you want to use, or pointing to a standard list on the ladder you play on.

Which really just echoes what Vanir said above :):o

Yeah, for me the moral of the story is play in a community where you find good opponents and there's regular useful discussion of these topics. Then you avoid nasty suprises and wasted time - both on people who do Not Good Things, and also people who are just going to drop when they start loosing.

I guess if you play out in the wild, then you have to be a rules lawyer, or care less...

GaJ

I've always felt that it is better to be explicit during setup about such rules, even at the risk of looking like a "rules lawyer".

Definitely. I've found it completely worthwhile. Not just to keep players from intentionally doing dubious things. In the first weeks after the game came out I had several QBs harmed unintentionally. Too much artillery for the map being the most common problem.

I would agree that bombing a set up zone would be in bad taste, as it would ruin the rest of the game. What fun is it going to be playing 60 more turns if one player has got wiped out before the game even started? I recall having the AI do it to me a few times in single player scenarios in CMSF. No fun, and definite do over.

I guess the bombing of a setup zone wouldn't be so bad if you had established that everyone playing was using the dirty rules of a drunken street fight. If that was the case, you would just spam naval batteries and walk an FO unit into the objective for the win. Once you assume someone isn't going to be an ass, you kind of take the options for your own devilish behavior off the table.

Now, if we could exact a punishment on the civilian population, wounded soldiers or prisoners of war for the actions of their omniscient commanders... that would be justice.

These are typically posted in threads and articles in community forums.

Here is the CMx1 list that is used at WeBob:

http://home.arcor.de/rehbold/Gamey_tactics.htm

For CMBN, at WeBob, the similar list is still under development, so the most common rules are in threads over there about CMBN. The "no bombing setup zones" is common knowledge.

This thread here prompted me to get a move on with the CMBN list at WeBob, so the thread where that's happening is here:

http://webandofbrothers.yuku.com/topic/15065/DvC-DOG-for-CMBN

GaJ

I would say yes, but at the same time no. It depends on your agreement pre-game. I wouldn't use them, but if my whole infantry force is dead or it's armor only, it can give you an advantage to be small and hard to spot. Hand grenades can kill tanks, it's true it's true.

Heh... makes me think of a pick up game I had on CMBO. Within first three turns I'm overrun by a dozen machine gun jeeps and half dozen+ m8 hmcs. Should have specified rules.

The old indestructable flak truck was another unpleasant memory from CMBO as well.