Explosions

I find the explosions caused by arty (and vehicle HE) pretty dissapointing.

They look like a shower of dots and nothing like a shower of dust and debris and I have all the graphic settings on max.

I have tried an advanced search without any luck so was wondering if anyone new of a good explosions mod for the game?

Thanks

Haven't noticed that problem.

But, I have noticed how just about every vehicle in CMBN explodes and burns. I always thought that happened not that often. Most of the time, the unit wold just stop dead... and other tankers would keep shooting at it just in case. I wonder if CM1 was more accurate in this respect, as few vehicular explosions occurred. There was even a CM1 mod to increase the percentage of explosions cos everyone liked them so much.

I find the explosions caused by arty (and vehicle HE) pretty dissapointing.

They look like a shower of dots and nothing like a shower of dust and debris and I have all the graphic settings on max.

I have tried an advanced search without any luck so was wondering if anyone new of a good explosions mod for the game?

Thanks

Check out all of veins mods. There is explosion and flame mods in amongst his many excellent ones.

Recently i removed my 'z' folder and was appalled when i played the game un-modded, the graphics, UI etc was awful!! And thats not knocking BF because i know it didnt bother me when i first got the game, but it really did prove to me just how lucky we are to have such dedicated and highly skilled modders!

If i were you i would set aside an hour to trawl through the repository and try out as many as you can, trust me it will be an hour well spent.

I don't even know whether there is any way of modding the blasts from shells hitting ground, I don't think so. AFAIK Vein's (and anyone else's) explosion mod only alters the explosions of vehicles (the orange ones, where stuff actually BURNS).

If it were possible to mod the groundbursts, my opinion is that while they could be better done engine wise just like everyone says (a little more irregular for instance), just making the pixels in the pixel shower darker would help a lot in terms of long range visibility (which I have a problem with sometimes) and realistic looks. In vids of RL groundbursts, the soil being dredged from several feet below the surface, mixed with the smoke and soot from the explosion itself generally looks pretty dark, even blackish depending on what the soil is composed of. In particular, this would also enhance the realistic effect of the blast appearing denser in the center and less so the further from the center you get.

Unfortunately since you can't get in the code it's really hard to mod this, the main problems being the way sprites are handled ( they spin around Z as you rotate the camera) and you have no control over how the expand and fade.

Closest I got was with non round smoke/dust sprites.

Looks better when the shell hits, but looks really bad when the smoke spreads or if you move the camera around (and looks awful from angles where it's rotated horizontal).

CMNormandy2012-03-2016-48-54-54.jpg

CMNormandy2012-03-2016-38-30-03.jpg

What it really needs is someone what access to the code to do some tweaks and create a more layered effect with more than the pixels/puffy sprites. Needs some proper dirt sprites/particles.

All that can be done is modify the bitmaps for the explosion cycle and the smoke. BUT we cannot modify the explosion density, the particles or its behaviour, and that's what would add extra realism to the game. Eye candy may be improved, but not the nature of the explosion itself, sad but true.