Rout

I wonder if we will ever get 'Rout' implemented as suggested in the manual - or if it was left out for some reason?

In the mission I'm playing at the moment my conscript troops should have run off the map many minutes ago instead of recovering from long term panic and putting up a fight.

I would like to petition BFC to put the 'Rout' back into CMBN. It would mean that a lot of games would come to a more natural and satisfactory conclusion.

For instance:

I am defending a terrain objective at the edge of the map. I have long-term panicked troops hanging around at the edge of the map that really should have 'routed' and run away ages ago. If one of these units suddenly recovers at the last minute it will deny my opponent the terrain objective that he rightly deserves.

Also, it makes more sense for 'routed' units to leave the map rather than just hanging around waiting to be slaughtered.

Does anyone else want to see 'rout' included in CMBN as described in the manual?

It should be in game by default. Though it should be made s that some units rout partially when panicking and if they recover, they recover just slightly. So they are reusable in some situations but if they face some more hell that they cant bear, they rout for good and off map.

i would like to see an option to end by withdrawal.... as long as units could disengage and safely get away.. rather than "surrendering" just to end the game... asking for cease fire is also Unrealistic in my opinion, as it doesn't allow a firefight to end - but only a 'time out'.. but for why?

some would say 'you can do that now'.. but i don't think getting off board is now a function is it? so you get to board edge and ??? get slaughtered?

i would like to see an option to end by withdrawal.... as long as units could disengage and safely get away.. rather than "surrendering" just to end the game... asking for cease fire is also Unrealistic in my opinion, as it doesn't allow a firefight to end - but only a 'time out'.. but for why?

some would say 'you can do that now'.. but i don't think getting off board is now a function is it? so you get to board edge and ??? get slaughtered?

Exit areas and their use is decided by the scenario designer, but the option is there if in the mind of the scenario designer they are appropriate.

Exit zones as a substitute for an actual 'rout' are not going to work well in many cases where objective points are awarded for 'destroy' or 'destroy all'.

I believe that the 'rout' function was included in CMSF (which it is why it exists in the CMBN manual) - so I don't see that it could be too much of a problem to put it back into CMBN.

I'm still not sure if its absence in CMBN was an oversight or not???

I used to wonder what happened to the old 'Rout' when i first started playing CMBN.Then in a few scenarios,these broken troops when regrouped have actually helped win certain firefights.I have even had broken enemy troops behind my lines,shoot up a squad or two of reinforcements as they've entered the battlefield and i've had to deal with them.So i don't really miss the old 'Rout'.

The trouble is, often they're milling around at a map edge and the enemy aren't close enough to cause a surrender, so they get mown down, resulting in excessive casualties at the end of the game (not to mention just causing wasted ammo that can be tight at the end of a battle - since it can take several turns for the mowers to cut down the mowees )

I too, would like to see BF implement some means to get them permanently off the battlefield whether it be running off the map or disappearing a la the method alluded to in the manual.