One shot one kill ....

Panther sitting at 871 meters...

First Firefly was a one-shot-one-kill as well, followed by three more direct hits one after the other ...

The second Firefly in this video is also a first round hit, followed by two misses...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUBGsiLu2kw&hd=1&t=9s

Sorry for the poor video. I haven't figured out how to show HD video on here so that it streams in real time with buffering, so I had to upload to YouTube. They in-turn re-size and compress the video so it's fuzzier than the original recording I have, but I think it's good enough so everyone gets the idea...

Click FULL SCREEN box in player to get a better look ....

I'm not sure why there's no sound, as original upload had sound.. anyone know?

Regards,

Doug

It has sound when I watch it.

I assume the Fireflys were yours?

No, I was the Panther ... :D

Incredible piece of gunnery with the optics and equipment contemporary to that period. Does everyone else experience this level of speed of target acquisition and then first round accuracy within CBMN?

I hear sound from other YouTube videos, but not from this one, but I have no idea why. I have sound locally with the same file, so there must be some setting in YouTube that I have to address, but that wouldn't explain why I hear all other YouTube videos except some of the CBMN based video files.... :confused:

Thanks for the feedback ..

Regards,

Doug

Incredible piece of gunnery with the optics and equipment contemporary to that period. Does everyone else experience this level of speed of target acquisition and then first round accuracy within CBMN?

Unusual yes, but not incredible. Not for a Panther.

Following hit probabilities are maximum possible under ideal conditions with 35% average range estimation error (typical figure on firing ranges is 25%, so 35% includes some things that don't show up during practice and is 40% higher than training average):

no trunnion cant (gun higher on one side, which throws round to side, impacts low velocity more than high and has greater impact at long range)

target elevation same as gun (shooting at a target point below gun lowers hit %, above gun increases %, greater impact at close range)

no wind (wind drift is long range problem)

only errors are range estimation and some factors associated with gun (jump, gun sight misalignment, aim point is not center of mass, etc, which are long range concerns)

stationary, fully exposed target in clear area

Panther 75

----------

97% at 500m, 65% at 750m, 35% at 1000m

Tiger E 88

----------

90% at 500m, 52% at 750m, 27% at 1000m

Nashorn 88

----------

98% at 500m, 72% at 750m, 41% at 1000m

PzKpfw IVH 75

-------------

83% at 500m, 45% at 750m, 23% at 1000m

Sherman 75

----------

68% at 500m, 32% at 750m, 16% at 1000m

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=29808

No, I was the Panther ... :D

I hear sound from other YouTube videos, but not from this one, but I have no idea why. I have sound locally with the same file, so there must be some setting in YouTube that I have to address, but that wouldn't explain why I hear all other YouTube videos except some of the CBMN based video files.... :confused:

Thanks for the feedback ..

Regards,

Doug

From reading many first hand accounts I'm not too worried about the first round hits at under 1000 meters. I think you may have a case with the speed of target acquisition though. From what I've seen modern tank crewmen post on the forums it seems that the current WW2 target acquisition in CMBN is comparable or even faster than modern target acquisition. I think there are some YouTube videos that can be found online of modern tankers going through the target acquisition and firing process and you can compare the YouTube videos with the in game action to compare.

I did a quick search on YouTube and found this video

It appears to be about 14 seconds between shots? Of course the range to the target will be a factor and there is no way to know the distance of the targets.

Unusual yes, but not incredible. Not for a Panther.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=29808

yeah but theres the thing, its not unusual in CMBN these kind kills are routine, this shot was about 900 m through trees at a hull down target while under fire (artillery rounds from a 105 landing all around.)

It feels a lot like CMSF to me, all that's changed is the shape of the tanks but they are equally as lethal as a M1 or challenger.

Panther 75

----------

like I said two first shot kills at nearly 900m through trees at hull down targets while under fire makes a mockery of the above data really.....and yes they where my fireflys :( and thats not the only time I've seen this

That chaps Ekins, in a Firefly took out three Tigers - bang, bang, bang at 800m. First time hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj97_pTIT1E

they were in the open not hull down with a bunch of trees in between and he wasn't underfire

yeah but theres the thing, its not unusual in CMBN these kind kills are routine, this shot was about 900 m through trees at a hull down target while under fire (artillery rounds from a 105 landing all around.)

It feels a lot like CMSF to me, all that's changed is the shape of the tanks but they are equally as lethal as a M1 or challenger.

Panther 75

----------

like I said two first shot kills at nearly 900m through trees at hull down targets while under fire makes a mockery of the above data really.....and yes they where my fireflys :( and thats not the only time I've seen this

they were in the open not hull down with a bunch of trees in between and he wasn't underfire

I suggest you set up a test and figure out what the actual probabilities are in the game. Even if there were only a 5% chance of a first round hit, you could still see two hits in a row, so I don't see how 2 first round hits makes a mockery of a 35-50% chance of a first round hit.

Also, the AI has a "memory" for range to target, but what I don't remember is if it only applies to a single target that is lost and reappears at or near its original location, or if it also applies to other targets engaged near an already ranged target. If the latter, then a first round hit on the second tank was pretty much a given.

like I said two first shot kills at nearly 900m through trees at hull down targets while under fire makes a mockery of the above data really

The video indicates that this description is not entirely accurate. It appears both Fireflys were partially hull down. The lower hulls and tracks are obscured but the upper hull is exposed. The Panther's shots go over the top of some tree, not through them. The Panther's first shot occurs at 20 seconds in the video, while the sound of the first artillery shell detonating is not heard until 35 seconds.

Nevertheless, given that I have recently been testing first shot hits in a different circumstance I modified my test to approximate the situation shown in the video. I put 5 Firefly VCs behind a 1 meter high berm at 868-9 meters from 5 Panther A (mid)s. The Fireflys had their hulls rotated diagonally towards the Panthers at about a 45° angle, but with the turret facing directly at the Panthers via a covered arc. Badger did not identify which sub-species of Panther played the villain in his video, nor did he say what the crew quality was so I used regular.

100 first shots were recorded. 24 were hits, 76 were misses.

The hit on the first Firefly, then, was an unusually good shot or at least a lucky shot. In reality the first shot hit on the second tank would not have been any great feat as the gunner already had the range dialed in. But I don't know if the game models that when switching targets. If it does not then you were indeed the victim of some bad luck as the in-game odds of landing 2 consecutive first shot hits in that situation is only about 6%.

Clearly, BadgerDog owes his gunner a Knight's Cross :)