Finally Able to Play The Demo

I installed a new video card yesterday, a Radeon 1GIG HD 6870, and for the first time, the demo did not crash on me. My old video card was a Radeon 1 GIG HD 4890. With the old card, the demo would be okay for about a minute or so, then crash. Plus sometimes the trees appeared and disappeared.

I experimented with the demo scenario where the Yanks get some Shermans as reinforcements facing a couple of Panthers and assault guns. I couldn't believe how fast the Shermans were being knocked out. I am thinking of purchasing the full game once the Commonwealth expansion is available but was wondering what people who have played the full game are experiencing in terms of being able to take on German armour. Doesn't seem much fun being the Yanks and unlike the historical situation, you just can't call in P-47's to knock out the German tanks.

Historically speaking the Yanks lost plenty of Sherms. They just out numbered the Tigers and Panthers and overwhelmed the big cats. You will lose some Shermans...plenty of Shermans.

As for P-47 being on call. It didn't happen all that often. Yes, they were patrolling and attacked when the Germans were spotted. But grounded directed close air support was few and far between.

Buy the game and learn to minimize the Allied losses.

CanuckGamer, if anything I hear more complaints that the German tanks are being knocked out too easily by Shermans in CMBN.

If you are a CMx1 player, the biggest thing you will notice about CMBN (aside from differences in the UI) is that CMBN battles tend to be on a smaller scale and more infantry-centric that CMx1. In the larger battles, giving orders to all your units can become quite a chore. On board mortars, a mere nuisance in CMx1, are very deadly in CMBN.

But, back to your original question, since many battles in CMBN tend to be on smaller maps than CMx1, the advantage of the superior armor and firepower of the German tanks is somewhat mitigated by the relatively short range firefights. Still, having your Shermans slug it out toe to toe with a Panther is not a good idea. Best to keep on the move and try to get a side or rear shot.

<snip>Still, having your Shermans slug it out toe to toe with a Panther is not a good idea. Best to keep on the move and try to get a side or rear shot.

Yep I have lost lots of Shermans too. Flanking is the way to deal with the German big cats. And as the German player you want to prevent that. So, you will lose a lot of Shermans but if you keep the threats to the German tanks coming from many angles and simultaneously you can come out on top.

Of course that is easier said then done some times.

Historically speaking the Yanks lost plenty of Sherms. They just out numbered the Tigers and Panthers and overwhelmed the big cats. You will lose some Shermans...plenty of Shermans.

As for P-47 being on call. It didn't happen all that often. Yes, they were patrolling and attacked when the Germans were spotted. But grounded directed close air support was few and far between.

Buy the game and learn to minimize the Allied losses.

Once I get the game, I won't be playing it in real time but rather in the wego mode. I will have to respectively disagree about your comment concerning close air support in Normandy. It probably was decisive and more then made up for the quality difference between Allied tanks and German Panthers and Tigers. I'm just finishing reading Antony Beevor's D-Day The Battle for Normandy which I highly recommend. Here are some quotes:

"Each combat command had an air support party riding in tanks provided on Bradley's orders for air force liaison officers. An exceptionally effective working relationship had been established with Lieutenant General Elwood R. Quesada, the chief of IX Tactical Air Command."

"One German commander complained bitterly that they were 'overhead like hawks watching for any movement on the ground then swooping into the attack.'

"The support from the P-47s was so close that one pilot radioed to Doane that he was going to bomb a German tank only fifty yards to his left and that he had better take cover. Air - tank cooperation could not have been closer."

"Whenever they reached a roadblock, the air liaison officer in his tank or half-track simply called in a squadron of P-47 Thunderbolts and the defensive position would be destroyed, usually within fifteen minutes."

The total dominance of Allied air power both on and behind the front lines provoked anger among German troops who also resorted to black humour.

"If you can see silver aircraft, they are American. If you can see khaki planes, they are British, and if you can't see any planes, then they're German"

Obviously providing large amounts of tactical air support in CM Normandy would make the game very frustrating for the German player and I don't recall any of the Combat Mission games having any air support options. Anyway, look forward to getting the full game once the Commonwealth expansion is released.

I play scenario's only, really no QB's, so far most of the games I have played have a good balence. Plenty of Shermans to help you with the need to flank against that nasty front armor of the Germans. But when that has not been possible, I find 4 or 5 Shermans can wreck a stugs day very quickly even from the front, A panther also, but not wanted unless I have some 76's in the mix.

Anyway, look forward to getting the full game once the Commonwealth expansion is released.

If you have made up your mind to buy the bundle, you should go ahead and do it now, while preorders are still open. This will save you $15 (if I remember correctly) VS waiting until after the release.

Thanks for the info, yes it is a $15 discount. Only downside as I understand it is that if I purchase it immediately I won't get the either the full game or the Commonwealth module for 4 to 6 weeks as the module will not be finished until then.

The module is finished and being released today.

Thanks for the info, yes it is a $15 discount. Only downside as I understand it is that if I purchase it immediately I won't get the either the full game or the Commonwealth module for 4 to 6 weeks as the module will not be finished until then.

It is available now (to pre-orders) and you still have a chance to pre-order:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=102854