How does Morter ammo carriers supply the ammo?

They resupply on their own after awhile if close enough to the mortar.

Specifically, once the mortar team has run through its own supply, it begins drawing ammo from the ammo carriers. It would be desirable if they exhausted the carriers first before drawing on their own supply. That way, they could continue to fire while the carriers were hotfooting it back to a source of resupply.

Michael

Specifically, once the mortar team has run through its own supply, it begins drawing ammo from the ammo carriers. It would be desirable if they exhausted the carriers first before drawing on their own supply. That way, they could continue to fire while the carriers were hotfooting it back to a source of resupply.

Michael

That, or being able to use the "aquire" command would be nice.

I think also the ammo carriers only supply their own team mortar with ammo. So if the mortar tube gets KIA, the carriers can't run to another mortar team.

I think the criteria is that the ammo bearers have to be in the same platoon, at least that's how it is for MG ammo bearers. In other words, don't take mortar ammo bearers from C company and place them next to B company mortars.

Yeah they have to be from the same platoon. However you have to pay close attention. Specfically with the 60mm mortar ammo bearers (maybe its only in PBEMs) but often enough, especially with airborne troops my mortar teams already have all the ammo, with the bearers carrying nothing. I've often seen this happen with 81mm mortar teams as well. Not that I mind really, I always can put a few riflemen somewhere... =D

Yeah they have to be from the same platoon. However you have to pay close attention. Specfically with the 60mm mortar ammo bearers (maybe its only in PBEMs) but often enough, especially with airborne troops my mortar teams already have all the ammo, with the bearers carrying nothing. I've often seen this happen with 81mm mortar teams as well. Not that I mind really, I always can put a few riflemen somewhere... =D

In quick battles, the gun/mortar team begins the game with all the ammunition.

Here's one.. I had a team with a knocked out mortar but still had 32 rounds of 60mm HE. I ran this team over to another mortar section with 9 rounds left so they could "share" ammo. However, once the move was finished, the other mortar team's ammo count didn't increase to 41, it stayed at 9... I guess I could assume the mortar team "dropped" their ammo after their equipment was destroyed? But they still were showing 32 rounds under their ammo status.

I thought mortar teams can share their ammo... at least when I play a map with a set-up zone, if I position mortar teams close together their ammo becomes amalgamated.

But it should still show immediately in the ammo count...I think.

Michael

Thats exactly what I thought because I see this in the initial set up phase when you move mortar teams close or away from each other. The unit's ammo stays the same, but the ammo count will go up (or down)

Maybe it takes a few turns for this to show but when the knocked-out mortar team I moved got close to the functioning one, there was no change in the ammo count. I thought this shows immediately.

No big deal really because it didn't affect the battle/scenario I was playing