New guy / indirect fire tips needed

After playing the demo for a week or so and lurking on the forums I finally went ahead and bought the game and am very pleased with my decision.

Anyway, I’ve followed the tutorial, YouTube AAR’s etc. and read the excellent manual and am working through the “task force RAFF” tutorial campaign and am having trouble with my mortars, particularly in the urban defence mission. In particular;

1. Getting good and useful LOS for my spotters to call in mortars. There is a long wall in the field ahead of your position that the Germans always use as a base of fire. It would be an ideal spot for a line barrage, but no matter where I put my HQ’s they never get enough LOS for such a mission.

2. Each mortar is under a different platoon HQ. How do I control ALL the mortars? Do I need to maintain C2 links between the mortar and their platoon HQ AND the platoon HQ to the company HQ in order for company HQ to direct all the mortars at once? That makes sense.

3. If the HQ unit is destroyed, can I attach a mortar team to another HQ? I can’t find a way to do this and it makes dynamic responses very difficult if mortar teams won’t take orders from other platoon HQ’s even if they are sat right next to them.

Cheers in advance for any and all help given, and happy Xmas!!

Well, I’ve made progress with mortars, starting the Raff training campaign from scratch.

Getting good line of sight is still difficult but that’s realistic I guess. Turning on veteran difficulty and cycling units to see who can see what makes it more understandable and you can see where your spotters need to be.

Maintaining site wide C2 links enables each HQ to call on all available mortars. This is a great relief!

Orphaned units still cannot be reassigned to another HQ as far as I can see. If this is so, then this is a major obstacle to reorganising formations on the fly. If it’s by design then I would like to know why is it a hindrance and IRL I am sure a squad would be attached to a different available platoon HQ if its own had been destroyed or MIA.

24 hours and no responses, highly unusual. Everyone else must be busy playing Santa:o

I don't think you actually need the chain of command to be alive, you just need a radio near the mortars and a radio with spotter. It might help with timing or something but I never noticed a difference.

Orphaned units still cannot be reassigned to another HQ as far as I can see. If this is so, then this is a major obstacle to reorganising formations on the fly. If it’s by design then I would like to know why is it a hindrance and IRL I am sure a squad would be attached to a different available platoon HQ if its own had been destroyed or MIA.

AFAIK neaby battalion HQ's will adopt an orphaned squad, as in influence its morale and cohesion. I believe company HQ's same thing. I don't think platoon HQ's have any influence on squads from other platoons tho. And these orphaned squads have to be in the same battallion/company as the higher level HQ that adopts it. If I have it right.

Note that this won't happen in Campaigns where you lose a platoon HQ. Not only is the HQ not replaced in subsequent battles, but no higher level HQ will give C2 to the leaderless subordinate. (BFC say they're working on the problem.)

This seems to be where i am at. The 1st campaign.

I've not tried mortars in direct fire mode as im used to keepint arty assets way back fron the line. I will give it a try, company of heroes style.

enough turkey, time to finish the enemy! :D