Battle DAR: Sie Kommen 2 (Axis)

MoreUStroops3850.jpg

More US infantry is seen in the vicinity of the bridge.

Interesting. When I played the scenario that's exactly where the Stuarts went. Until the mortar barrage hit. Then one was killed outright & the other immobilized so while it was still a threat I was able to knock it out by sending an "assassin" across the railroad bridge and sneaking up on it from the rear.

Jyri

Interesting. When I played the scenario that's exactly where the Stuarts went. Until the mortar barrage hit. Then one was killed outright & the other immobilized so while it was still a threat I was able to knock it out by sending an "assassin" across the railroad bridge and sneaking up on it from the rear.

Also interesting, Jyri. Was your barrage aimed at the Stuarts or did it just happen to come down at the right time? In my game, I have all my mortars firing at other targets at the moment, and I fear that if I interrupt them to lay down fire on the Stuarts, the tanks will be gone before I get FFE - I am playing on Elite level, so mortar time to FFE is 4-7 minutes...

Sorry to interrupt but the spotting was very disconcerting. HAs BF been shown those screenies and asked what was happening. I think something needs looking at.

Great read by the way.

Thanks, Wodin. Do you mean the spotting thing between the PSW and the M8 near the bridge a few posts back? If so, yeah that was one or two levels above just being weird, and no, I didn't actually get a beta tester involved (yet). Thing is, after I had played the battle on to a later point, I went back and loaded a savegame shortly before this situation a number of times, and events transpired differently in every run-through. Mostly things went as I would expect, with the PSW spotting the M8 and knocking it out, once or twice the other way round. Once the PSW even spotted and KOed a nearby Jeep as well as the Greyhound. I should add that each time, like in the actual game version of the situation, I moved the PSW forward a tiny bit shortly before the M8 showed up (to get slightly better LOS to the area, as I knew there were units moving through it). I think the differences depend largely on the exact location of the PSW, as there is some tall grass and weeds on the ground between the two vehicles, and who knows exactly from where the PSW's LOS is drawn? In the game situation, the PSW showed full LOS or "reverse slope" LOS to the two action spots the M8 traversed, and "reverse slope" LOS to about the first half of the bridge, meaning it should really have been able to see a 7+ foot tall vehicle standing or driving there. So, it still might be a good idea to send the screenies and/or savegame to a beta tester, thanks for the reminder!

Also interesting, Jyri. Was your barrage aimed at the Stuarts or did it just happen to come down at the right time? In my game, I have all my mortars firing at other targets at the moment, and I fear that if I interrupt them to lay down fire on the Stuarts, the tanks will be gone before I get FFE - I am playing on Elite level, so mortar time to FFE is 4-7 minutes...

I was actually targeting the Stuarts. I used the heaviest mortars to fire at them, figuring that the Stuart's armour was light enough that a direct hit might kill it. Turned out I was right from the results. I also figured that if the Stuarts moved I could simply cancel the mission but once the Stuarts hit that spot they sat there long enough that they were still there when the barrage hit. I pkayed at Veteran so that might have made a difference.

Jyri

• 10 months later...

stoex,

Four 37mm rounds to kill a jeep? And to think, four 37mm rounds to kill a poorly armored Puma seemed ridiculous! Believe I got the better deal. Am hard pressed to conjure up a scenario in which, unless APHE is used and whips through and out without detonating, one solid hit wouldn't blow the jeep to pieces. That said, way to poke out their eyes! Keep doing that, and they won't have much to work with in assessing where you are or what you're up to.

Regards,

John Kettler