Military Jobs that make you say ...

Sgt Schultz

YIKES!

This posting has seemed like a punishment since I was a teenager and found out about this weapon...

the "Honest John" artillery rocket

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/r-1.html

Which leads one to wonder about ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_nuclear_explosions

Now I don't know about you, but if MY commanding officer ordered me to fire a 40 Kiloton UNGUIDED(spin motor/fin stabilized) nuclear weapon to a max range of FIFTEEN miles away from my position ... I would strongly dispute that order. :)

-----

What say ye? Any completely insane military postings out there that you have noticed over the years?

That's nothing. Compare it with the Davy Crockett tactical nuclear device. It's maximum range for the early model was 2km!!! Link... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crockett_(nuclear_device)

Yeah, that was a real suicide weapon. A fact that may have actually made its way up the chain of command, since it was withdrawn rather quickly.

Michael

Well, I'd prefer using the Davy Crockett to this baby...

SADM%28cropped%29.jpg

The project, which involved a small nuclear weapon, was designed to allow one person to parachute from any type of aircraft carrying the weapon package and place it in a harbor or other strategic location that could be accessed from the sea. Another parachutist without a weapon package would follow the first to provide support as needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Atomic_Demolition_Munition

Imagine jumping off an airplane with an atomic bomb strapped to your back...

Imagine jumping off an airplane with an atomic bomb strapped to your back...

LOL how about Slim Pickens in Dr Strangelove ?

Which shows that contrary to :

"That is one side of the equation I think almost nobody thought of either until the late 80s at least, Magpie."

they were thinking along those lines in 1964, also "Fail Safe" from the same year.

Might want to also check out Bertrand Russell, the penny dropped for him the same day Fat Man dropped for Nagasaki

The best thing about the backpack one is that it is a WMD called.....SADM. Plus you got to love the extraction plan:

"The two-person team would place the weapon package in the target location, set the timer, and swim out into the ocean where they would be retrieved by a submarine or a high-speed surface water craft."

KR,

The Davy Crockett, example on display in the Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning, was originally commanded by a 2nd lieutenant and was capable of taking out an entire battalion. This discovery didn't sit well with the brass once fully grokked, as in short round!

LemoN,

Never seen you here, so welcome aboard! I've personally talked to Bo Gritz, a retired Green Beret colonel/lt. colonel (forget which) who handled SADM during his service career and told me of the "blue fire" when the insertable component, carried separately, was put into the casing. Am guessing he has no progeny!

Regards,

John Kettler

LemoN,

Never seen you here, so welcome aboard! I've personally talked to Bo Gritz, a retired Green Beret colonel/lt. colonel (forget which) who handled SADM during his service career and told me of the "blue fire" when the insertable component, carried separately, was put into the casing. Am guessing he has no progeny!

Regards,

John Kettler

Thanks for the welcome, although I've been lurking this place since 2006 or so... had an account back then, but forgot my name/login data when I wanted to post stuff again in the closing weems of CM:BN. :)