Performance issues

Hi Ricroma

You should be able to use the key up to 4 times, and you are licensing the computer to run the game, so having it installed at work and at home shouldn't be a problem.

In the future, if you do a fresh os instal then at some point you may need to ask Battlefront for an extra allowance, but as you get an extra one every 12 months you may be ok.

I hope you get this sorted!

Bill

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had these same problems in the editor as in the game itself. The editor became almost painful to use. I don't have these issues anymore since I upgraded my PC and, probably most importantly for the game, have implemented all the acceleration options in the recent releases.

AMD Phenom I x4 @2.3 GHz => AMD Phenom II x4 @ 3.8 GHz

NVidia 7600 GS => AMD Radeon 6950 2 GB DDR5

ASUS M2N Premium Vista MB Nforce 590 => Gigabyte GA-990FA-UD7

8 GB DDR2 800 DRAM => 16 GB DDR3 14900 DRAM

I suspect the above PC upgrades are responsible for the improvement in the editors performance.

I had no scroll problems under XP but now under Win7 :(

The scrolling speed in Pattons Drives East was terrible, but after i activated Video acceleration ingame the scrolling speed was back to normal.

Now i downloaded SC WW1 = Unfortunately no video acceleration option available = Terrible Scrolling Speed. I would love to buy this game but not with this terrible performance. I have Win 7, i7 950, Nvidia 580 (same problem with 480)

Hubert give me the acceleration i need! No acceleration = no money!

btw. zoom in, zoom out, clicking on units,... 100% sluggish

Hi Christian Wagner,

Sorry to hear the trouble and for the video acceleration option, this is on by default now but it appears that for some systems this is still an issue as the game plays with a lower scrolling speed.

I'm unfortunately unable to reproduce it on my end so it is almost impossible to understand why it is occuring for only a subset of systems.

Can you try upgrading your video card driver to see if that helps?

Can you also try right clicking the game icon and selecting 'Properties'. From there select the 'Compatibility' tab and you should see the option to run the game in an XP compatible mode.

If you try this, can you tell me if it runs any smoother after that?

Hubert

Win 7 has a lot to do with the issue in my opinion. Try disabling some of the advanced display features. Win 7 is a resource hog. You need a fast system with lots of ram to not notice an appreciable performance difference between it and XP. You can also try the 64 bit edition which can use more than 3.5 GB of ram. If the above doesn't help try installing XP in a dual boot and running the game under that. You can also try Game Booster which does seem to help some.

Hubert! Hard to tell since that map is very small and you cant move around, but for what I can make of it, that map doesnt suffer from that issue!

wlape3! Have Win7 Ultimate 64bit and i7-2600k, 2x HD6950 2gb and 8gb memory and I think that would be sufficent. Also already tried what you wrote and alot more but nothing made any difference, will try the game on my laptop just to see if the same happens!

No problems with the 1918 Kaiserschlacht campaign although as Pikaboo says it is kind of hard to tell because you don't have to move around much. Tried playing the main campaign under XP compatability mode last night and noticed a slight improvement, not quite as jerky moving around the map although still not smooth where there is a high concentration of units.

I have Game Booster downloaded on my comp, might give that a try tonight and see if it helps any. I think I have the latest drivers installed for the HD 5770 but I'll check tonight.

Hi Christian Wagner,

Can you try upgrading your video card driver to see if that helps?

Can you also try right clicking the game icon and selecting 'Properties'. From there select the 'Compatibility' tab and you should see the option to run the game in an XP compatible mode.

Hubert

Thx!

I will try that!

But on the other hand: I asume SC WW1 is the same engine like my SC WW2: Patton Drives East! ? So when the WW2 game runs perfect and WW1 runs terrible i think there is no problem with my system.

btw. My custom text size in Win7 is at 149% = 143 dpi that's the only thing i changed.

Hubert! Hard to tell since that map is very small and you cant move around, but for what I can make of it, that map doesnt suffer from that issue!

wlape3! Have Win7 Ultimate 64bit and i7-2600k, 2x HD6950 2gb and 8gb memory and I think that would be sufficent. Also already tried what you wrote and alot more but nothing made any difference, will try the game on my laptop just to see if the same happens!

We have very similar systems. I have Win7 Ultimate 64 bit, Phenom II @ 3.8 GHz, 16 GB of ram, (1) 6950 2GB DDR5. Your system should be more than sufficient. The only other performance improvement I have is my boot and game drive is a 160 GB SSD in the PCE 4 slot. This only makes a noticeable difference on the game start and saves.

Sounds like Hubert may be on to something. Let's hope he's got this one!:D

I don't know about you guys, i run the game in a Athlon 64 3200+ video card GeForce FX 5600 XT and 2gb memory... I run in win xp and it runs fine, really fine i think it's because of win 7, not sure what Hubert has found but i tried in win 7, in a better comp, and it runs no good. I did comptible mode with win xp and it runs somewhat better...

But i wish good luck to you guys, and hubert of course! :D

Hi guys:

I got to test exe files from Hubert and as he has already said, they solved the problem for me, I have Win7 64bit Ultimate and the scrolling ran slower than in Win Xp.

When I ran the game under his two new test exe files, both ran cool and smooth no more slugginesh, I had turn off FOW and NM indicator was on as to test it at the hardest conditions (1914 and 1917 campaigns) the only place the scrolling slowed a bit was in France, but this is normal as its the most dense unit area. Also the speed over France increased after the first scrolls as I guess it is loaded into the ram memory.

I hope other testers get the same performance as me.

As always Huber gives great support. Congratulations.

Hi everyone!

Just mailed Hubert about the exe-files! Sounds great. Another weird thing is when I uninstalled the demo it messed up SC2 Blitzkrieg+Weapons and Warfare. Installed the demo again and that game worked again :/

Installed the demo on my laptop and same issues, Unfortunately! Since win7 is on that machine it seem more and more likely that is the main prob.

wlape3 forgot that one :) the drive is a Intel ssd 510 series with 250 gb!

oh and sorry for any bad english, like spelling and so on :)

The best to you all!

Thx!

I will try that!

But on the other hand: I asume SC WW1 is the same engine like my SC WW2: Patton Drives East! ? So when the WW2 game runs perfect and WW1 runs terrible i think there is no problem with my system.

btw. My custom text size in Win7 is at 149% = 143 dpi that's the only thing i changed.

Well my SC Global run like lightning but AI turns in WW 1 are getting longer during the game as the number of units increase (can take almost 10 min after 1916). I was told WW 1 runs differently and need more RAM or something. Its a little better since 1.03 however. No scrolling issue at all for me.

Anyone using winxp 32 bit has to upgrade to winxp 64 bit to use more than 3.5 GB of ram. I assume this is true for Vista and Win 7 32 bit versions as well but I don't know this for a fact.

WWI runs about the same on my laptop with 4 GB of RAM winxp pro 32 bit as it does on my desktop with 16 GB of RAM and Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

I assume this is due to the usual windows bloat effect. The newer the version the slower it runs.:mad:

I'd like to say as well that now that I got GC and Pacific, they run pretty smoothly. Even Nupremal is way smoother all the way (including selecting, deselecting and scrolling), something that none of the beta exes for WW1 could do.

What has changed? Surely Nupremal's map rivals the WW1 map in size, so that can't be the problem?

We did find a few issues that will be included as fixes in the next patch but there is one thing you can try from your end in the meantime that might help somewhat (depending on your system).

Can you try disabling the display of 'National Morale Objectives' text under the Advanced settings to see if this helps?

• 2 months later...

Sorry to be a bother and bump this thread, but I seem to be having the same issues with the demo. I've made sure 'National Morale Objectives' is turned off, is that the only thing I can do to improve performance? I have been debating buying the game for a couple days now and it's the only thing really holding me back at this point.

My computer is a Core 2 Duo E6750 with 4gb of ram and an 8800gtx. I'm running Win7 64bit Premium.