EoS2

emptyT

My Wish List - EoS2

A list offered in the spirit of love and reverence as a total fanboy, of additions that can't currently be made in the fabulous Rules Editor.

1. A night phase – viability reduced by two thirds? Possibility of surprise attack, covert landings, etc.

2. Weather (in regions) – low cloud, no fly/ collisions (Bastogne) – Wet, reduced movement – Snow – Eastern front, everything to near standstill, attrition to men and materiel.

3. Road/ bridge building engineers (add rivers) – Improved logistics to rear. Resources initially have no roads to them. Bridges can be destroyed.

4. Change forts to towns and allow building in them – perhaps limited choice (determined in Rules Editor) – add the possibility of 1-off bonuses, possibly time sensitive (willing troops, stash of cash, expertise in something giving a bonus tech) to be found occasionally? Towns and cities not manned gradually return to neutral

5. Spies – build a spy, drop him behind the lines and allow him to enter a town without taking it over, but supply intel as to what is happening in the locale.

6. Vehicle wrecks which can block roads and hamper travel. They can also offer cover. Bulldozers can then be used to remove and they can be transported rear for recycling (resource bonus). Some vehicles are merely disabled allowing a player to fix and gain free vehicle or take his own back.

7. Combat experience gained more by combat than age.

8. Resources should be developed (Build mines, etc) allowing these improvements to be destroyed. Convoys should be set up between resource and city. Sea convoys also, fishing boats.

9. Add a moral element – prisoners. Troops don't always die in combat. Do you shoot them or transport behind your lines to camps?? Perhaps add a Red Cross factor - higher morale for your troops? Allows additional game play for breakout scenarios, escape and behind the lines havoc.

10. Area fire for artillery – ability to target areas you can't see and perhaps get lucky.

11. Change 'can contain' to weight factor so transports can be more editable and realistic i.e. can carry 5 paras or 1 vehicle.

12. Terrain damage from artillery and bombs, linked to weather, providing cover. Engineers can repair.

Comments and additions welcome

My Wish List - EoS2

A list offered in the spirit of love and reverence as a total fanboy, of additions that can't currently be made in the fabulous Rules Editor.

1. A night phase – viability reduced by two thirds? Possibility of surprise attack, covert landings, etc.

2. Weather (in regions) – low cloud, no fly/ collisions (Bastogne) – Wet, reduced movement – Snow – Eastern front, everything to near standstill, attrition to men and materiel.

3. Road/ bridge building engineers (add rivers) – Improved logistics to rear. Resources initially have no roads to them. Bridges can be destroyed.

4. Change forts to towns and allow building in them – perhaps limited choice (determined in Rules Editor) – add the possibility of 1-off bonuses, possibly time sensitive (willing troops, stash of cash, expertise in something giving a bonus tech) to be found occasionally? Towns and cities not manned gradually return to neutral

5. Spies – build a spy, drop him behind the lines and allow him to enter a town without taking it over, but supply intel as to what is happening in the locale.

6. Vehicle wrecks which can block roads and hamper travel. They can also offer cover. Bulldozers can then be used to remove and they can be transported rear for recycling (resource bonus). Some vehicles are merely disabled allowing a player to fix and gain free vehicle or take his own back.

7. Combat experience gained more by combat than age.

8. Resources should be developed (Build mines, etc) allowing these improvements to be destroyed. Convoys should be set up between resource and city. Sea convoys also, fishing boats.

9. Add a moral element – prisoners. Troops don't always die in combat. Do you shoot them or transport behind your lines to camps?? Perhaps add a Red Cross factor - higher morale for your troops? Allows additional game play for breakout scenarios, escape and behind the lines havoc.

10. Area fire for artillery – ability to target areas you can't see and perhaps get lucky.

11. Change 'can contain' to weight factor so transports can be more editable and realistic i.e. can carry 5 paras or 1 vehicle.

12. Terrain damage from artillery and bombs, linked to weather, providing cover. Engineers can repair.

Comments and additions welcome

Disagree with

#5. A good flyover is usually good for important unit details.

#8 disagree with convoys and fishing boats. Then its just like other resource gathering games. Kill the gathering units and starve the town.

Agree With:

#7 concur.

#11 Excellent - at least level 2 or 3 transports carry 2 or more paratroops.

There is already a way to do #11. Every unit has a "this unit's size" variable. Most units are size 1. There are a couple units that are size 2, however (I think the Nuclear SRBM and ICBM are size 2). This means you could setup some rules where, say, paratroopers have size 1, infantry has size 2, and tanks have size 4. If you have a transport with a "container size" of 8, then you could put different combinations of units inside of it:

* 2 tank units (2*4 = 8)

* 4 infantry (4*2 = 8)

* 8 paratroopers (8*1 = 8)

* Or some combination, e.g. 1 tank, 1 infantry, and 2 paratroopers (for a total size of 8)

Excellent! - still working through the Rules Editor, as to what it can do.

So when can we have the rest of the wish list ready?? (hehe - joke!) :D

Seriously though - if you did find time I would happily pay $50 for EoS 2.

Whats the consensus Guys - give it a vote.

Since you asked.....

EoS 2 will never happen for a couple of reasons:

1. EoS is still unfinished and a major flaw remains. Brit is ambivalent about whether or not he will ever correct it. This is common knowledge now and certainly would be brought up again if and when Brit ever introduces another game.

2. Brit lost his shirt developing this game. To repeat you'd have to be a true masochist.

Imo his best bet would be to break away from BFC and offer the game on his own site for $15-20 while he continued to improve it in his spare time. Like a hobby. EoS is a great game that needs just a little bit more.

To simply abandon an unfinished game and shrug when asked if a major flaw will ever be fixed shows a lack of class. That kind of attitude doesn't bode well for future business.

Imo his best bet would be to break away from BFC and offer the game on his own site for $15-20 while he continued to improve it in his spare time.

I'm glad that people are still trying to offer ideas to Brit, but this one is stupid. EoS has too little visibility in the market as it is, going solo would mean only the hardcore fanbase (US) would follow it. It would be nearly entirely word of mouth, or it would cost more due to advertising costs.

I'm glad that people are still trying to offer ideas to Brit, but this one is stupid. EoS has too little visibility in the market as it is, going solo would mean only the hardcore fanbase (US) would follow it. It would be nearly entirely word of mouth, or it would cost more due to advertising costs.

It wouldn't be stupid at all. There are a lot of indie publishers who have their own websites and are doing fairly well. It's a whole cottage industry. You need to get out more and look around. Some of my favorite games were bought that way.

Gratuitous Space Battles

Lux Delux

Castle Vox

Din's Curse

If Brit would devote some time to finishing the game I think it would grow in popularity and could make him some money. He'll never get rich on it but would at least be able to recoup somewhat. Staying here and abandoning the game will get him nothing.

Well, something needs to be done. "Unfinished" or not, I can list many games--none of which are from BF, BTW--that cost me $30+ and absolutely rot. Plus, no patches, no dev support, no nothing. Boy, I'd love to list them here...

Other than the obvious Empire comparison, EoS is kind of unique. It's not WitE, but has a better editor; it's not HPS, but has a better interface; it's not Star Ruler, but is much more polished. And thank gosh it's not World Supremacy. Oops, I slipped...

Marketing ideas have already been discussed. Still, I would put a glitzy wrapping on this game, for the least amount of time and money possible, say it does everything but the kitchen sink, which isn't stretching the truth that much, and hype the heck out of it on BF, Gamersgate, and Steam if they would accept it. They certainly seem happy to accept the most sophomoric games I have ever seen marketed! EoS is anything but.

Maybe the best bet is some smart investor with money will see the potential in this game and finance Brit. Not to offend anyone, but with Faith nothing is impossible!

Well, something needs to be done. "Unfinished" or not, I can list many games--none of which are from BF, BTW--that cost me $30+ and absolutely rot. Plus, no patches, no dev support, no nothing. Boy, I'd love to list them here...

Wow, I don't know where you buy your games but I can't think of a single one. Maybe I'm just more careful what games I buy since I'm a senior on a limited income. I don't know. I really can't think of any. What games, from indie devs, are like that? I'm not talking about large companies because I don't really trust them and always wait until a game is pretty finished before I buy. But I can't think of even one game I've bought from an indie that falls into the category you mentioned.

You are exactly right, Rich. I have not been careful enough. I am prone to impulse (pardon the pun) buying, but I am mending my ways.

I will mention a few "strategy" games, as long as it doesn't get me thrown off the forums. Many more dogs in other genres:

Star Sentinel Tactics--horribly retro, takes about 50 mouse clicks just to get your team ready to move out; marketed as a real "tactical" game, and you're shooting up alien monster blobs, marketed to come with an editor, but still doesn't have one...

World Supremacy--check the forums, maybe someday it will be out of Beta... I bought it because I trusted Aaron. I have not given up yet...

Pacific Storm Allies--huge potential, but it just stops working after a while...

Settlers 7--I still can't install it with the Ubi DRM and 2 gig patch...

Officers--good looking but completely unbalanced and uber difficult for most...has the most obtuse editor I've ever seen. Absolutely no patches or dev support.

On the positive side, there are quite a few diamonds in the rough and all-around mind blowingly great games. I am close to being a senior and am thankful I have lived long enough to see some of them, including EoS.

You are exactly right, Rich. I have not been careful enough. I am prone to impulse (pardon the pun) buying, but I am mending my ways.

I will mention a few "strategy" games, as long as it doesn't get me thrown off the forums. Many more dogs in other genres:

Star Sentinel Tactics--horribly retro, takes about 50 mouse clicks just to get your team ready to move out; marketed as a real "tactical" game, and you're shooting up alien monster blobs, marketed to come with an editor, but still doesn't have one...

I looked at it. And didn't like the looks of it. So I looked again at UFO. It was on sale at GG for $3 and with bmans mod I thought was a pretty good bargain.

World Supremacy--check the forums, maybe someday it will be out of Beta... I bought it because I trusted Aaron. I have not given up yet...

Looked at that too. The devs have a pretty good history. But again didn't like the looks of it. It's not had some patches and I'll look again in a couple of months.

Pacific Storm Allies--huge potential, but it just stops working after a while...

Settlers 7--I still can't install it with the Ubi DRM and 2 gig patch...

Officers--good looking but completely unbalanced and uber difficult for most...has the most obtuse editor I've ever seen. Absolutely no patches or dev support.

Never heard of the first two. I sort of recall I heard of Officers but don't remember where.

On the positive side, there are quite a few diamonds in the rough and all-around mind blowingly great games. I am close to being a senior and am thankful I have lived long enough to see some of them, including EoS.

I agree about EoS. That's why I'm so frustrated. So close yet so far. I even came up with a workaround for Brit and he seemed to like it. But when I asked him if would be able to implement it he shrugged. I think he should have said one of two things. Either he couldn't do it for one reason or another, maybe it was too much work or it wouldn't solve the problem. Or he should have said he would do it. But "shrug" makes it look like he doesn't give a sh!t.

Yeah, and communicating via email or forums is prone to misunderstanding to say the least. You got your points, brotha.

There is always hope. At least some people bought the game, some people are still talking about it, and Brit stops by now and then. I give you and some of the other posters credit for giving a damn. And I know he does, too.

Best to you.

Yes, I love CMBB and CMAK but hate the CD requirement--bought them years ago.

I'm pretty sure HPS Alexandrian Wars didn't require the CD, so not sure about Southern Front. Anyone want it, or the Ancients Series, just ask.

Also read David Heath of Matrix fame's father died. Sorry to have to pass that on.

I'll stop now...

I wouldn't buy CMAK until I found and downloaded a nocd patch. If you liked them you'd probably like CMSF but it's different enough it takes some getting used to. Sorry to hear about David Heath's dad. I'll check HPS again and if it doesn't require the CD, or if there's a nocd available, I'll PM you. It looks like a nice game.