A plea to Battlefront

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guys what gonna happen with cmc .it will link to bb for the combat scenes and if bb doesnt work right with nvidea equipped computers a lot of new players are going to be disappointed. technically battlefront are knowingly selling faulty goods, wont go down well with the powers that be where i come from, or battlefront have you a patch lined up for the new game .if so then why wont you release it now for the players that have ak/bb trouble at the moment

guys what gonna happen with cmc .it will link to bb for the combat scenes and if bb doesnt work right with nvidea equipped computers a lot of new players are going to be disappointed. technically battlefront are knowingly selling faulty goods, wont go down well with the powers that be where i come from, or battlefront have you a patch lined up for the new game .if so then why wont you release it now for the players that have ak/bb trouble at the moment

And the answer to your question:

"You should probably send your plea to Nvidia to fix their Vista drivers. We're not going to "patch" to "break" the game, only to unbreak it when Nvidia fixes their end. Sorry."

This is the offical Battlefront stand and I think it sucks big time.

So loyal CMx1 players, we are on our own here.

CMC??? It will be useless when and if it ever goes on sale. Why? read this thread!

The system specs required to run the game as well as the problems with certain cards are mentioned on the order pages.

What an opt out!!

HPS simulations are updating most of their games with patches for any Vista problems that are reported / encountered. Where updates are not made they provide clear and concise information ( including at least one download ) as to how to deal with Vista problems. Their homepage has a LARGE banner re Vista problems which links to the aforesaid information.

THAT is customer service!

HPS obviously value their customers and wish to increase the sales

of their games. Unlike other companies ( battlefront are not alone - Matrix do so too ) they do not appear to have any discontinued or out of date games. Perhaps this is because they play the games themselves in their spare time & they need to update re new PC platforms to be able to continue.

Ok but before you give up, post a thread at the location Redwolf suggested and lets get those NVIDIA guys off their back****s and fixing this problem.

There's every chance that NVIDIA will take a stance similar to Battlefronts and do nothing OR make sure that you will need to purchase a new Card.

Anything that costs must be paid for and you can be sure WE will pay.

You should probably send your plea to Nvidia to fix their Vista drivers. We're not going to "patch" to "break" the game, only to unbreak it when Nvidia fixes their end. Sorry.

If it's NVIDIA's fault, why not take it up with them yourself?

Surely you have more "clout" than WE do?

Perhaps you KNOW that they will tell you to patch it!!

I hope this does not fall on deaf ears after reading you have abandoned the CMx1 series.

You continue to sell the CMx1 games so I think bringing out a small patch to address this problem would be the least you could do. New customers trying to install AK or BB onto their computers with Vista are not going to be very pleased when they can't play their newly bought game!

Most people who have a PC which matches the system requirements for these games proberly bought it a long time ago. Any new buyers will undoubtedly get new VIsta PC's ( although if you ASK for it I believe you can still get XP systems ). Still selling something that is unlikely to be bought strikes me as odd. I think they still have stock left that was over produced, otherwise it would be discontinued by now.

I very much doubt any one from the BF staff reads the CMx1 message boards but no harm in trying :)

Moon ( the Administrator ) is, it appears, the President ( El Presidante as he likes to call himself ) of this Website / Company no less. Try not to upset him!!

It's not a case of not wanting to do the homework. I never knew there was a place to report such things so my first port of call was here. Just keep in mind mate that not every one is computer savvy as you!

Re: Redwolf. Just ignore him. He's a wind up merchant.

In future Battlefront should attach a sticker to the front of any CMx1 games they sell. It should read, ' if this game fails to run on your computer, it's not our fault but Nvidia. Should you insist on trying to run your brand new game, then we suggest you remove your new graphics card and replace it with a older model'

Other option is, stop selling the CMx1 games!!

The best option is to provide some customer service and patch it.

Then they can sell even more games to those with NEW Vista PC's.

Maybe "SOLD OUT" will buy the rights and update it as they did with Shogun Total War ( Warlord Edition ) Windows 98 to Windows XP to Windows Vista.

If it's a viable option to them to sell at £4.99 a time, why is it not to Battlefront at what they still charge? Battlefront are just lazy.

And the answer to your question:

CMC??? It will be useless when and if it ever goes on sale.

If it is and the information on the box ( not IN the game ) does not specify this then I would suggust buying one and sueing them via the Office of Fair Trading ( or their US equivilant).

If it's NVIDIA's fault, why not take it up with them yourself?

Surely you have more "clout" than WE do?

Perhaps you KNOW that they will tell you to patch it!!

Nope, we're just one tiny developer and one voice. The customer (and specifically, MANY customers) have a far louder voice than we do.

We should concentrate on beating on NVidia in this thread. It isn't helpful to mix in assorted other bashing of BFC, Vista (l)users or myself here.

Looks like unlike the Linux section on nvnews.com the windoze section is not directly monitored by NVidia developers.

I'd like to help you guys but I don't have Vista here. If you are lucky my wife gets a Vistarded notebook sometime soon, that would help.

Nope, we're just one tiny developer and one voice. The customer (and specifically, MANY customers) have a far louder voice than we do.

Then may I suggest that BF posts here saying that they will approach Nvidia but need customer support to do so. I think Moon you will be very surprised how many will step forward and support BF's action.

Many voices shouting together will be heard! :)

Here's a different angle -

What's the possibility of contracting an Nvidia (or recent ex-Nvidia) driver programmer to knock off a DX10 driver that obeys DX5 calls? I'm talking $5,000 over nights/weekends stuff, this sort of freelance thing happens frequently in the coding world. Who knows, maybe they could get wide-screen support rolling for a fee. Do the same for an AMD/ATI driver. Release them when CMC comes out. The kids who are pissed because it slows the frame rate of Far Cry 2 can bite the big one.

If this is a legal issue, have guru3D carry the driver, they've offered 'spliced' drivers before.

Combat Mission works fine here - ATI 4850 and Vista Ultimate 32. As has been said, the main problem lies within the Nvidia drivers. ATI have sort of fixed it, and you can now at least run both CMBB and CMAK fine AND with full fog effects! You need to add a little BMP to the graphics folder to have it run properly but that's an easy fix.

Here's a different angle -

What's the possibility of contracting an Nvidia (or recent ex-Nvidia) driver programmer to knock off a DX10 driver that obeys DX5 calls? I'm talking $5,000 over nights/weekends stuff, this sort of freelance thing happens frequently in the coding world. Who knows, maybe they could get wide-screen support rolling for a fee. Do the same for an AMD/ATI driver. Release them when CMC comes out. The kids who are pissed because it slows the frame rate of Far Cry 2 can bite the big one.

If this is a legal issue, have guru3D carry the driver, they've offered 'spliced' drivers before.

I'm not convinced this will be easy to debug.

I thought the initial probing for resolutions would fail, that's the main "old-style" DX5 crap CMx1 is doing and that no other game ever did to my knowledge. That would be easy to debug and fix. Game fails on specific API call. No problem (if you have source code).

Corrupted textures but game is running and game doesn't notice anything is wrong? Can be a good mess to fix.

We still haven't done any official contact with NVidia at all. So unlike in the Linux section you don't have NVidia developers monitor the Windoze section on nvnews.net. Tough luck. Now somebody, and that means somebody who's running Vista, aka not me, needs to submit a formal bug report.

Then may I suggest that BF posts here saying that they will approach Nvidia but need customer support to do so. I think Moon you will be very surprised how many will step forward and support BF's action.

Many voices shouting together will be heard! :)

great idea! I'm an ATI graphic card owner but I will still be glad to help with an email/call/petition/etc.

What little BMP? Are there any instructions on running CMBB with ATI cards? Because I think I'll upgrade soon. Edit: I'm guessing it's the one in this thread - http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=82561

That's the one mate yes and it's well worth considering a 4850 over the Nvidia cards now anyway (certainly at the moment). Don't get me wrong it's not perfect, but at least it's playable and looks good.