Mod Campaign 1914-1918

I downloaded this and am currently up to September 1915. The French have surrendered, as have the Russians... those pesky Serbs just won't quit yet!

First impressions:

1) Hated the unit icons... too used to 3D ones now ;)

2) Hated the small resource graphics

3) Hated the lack of wavy flags.

4) Loved the WWI scenario idea.

However, after having played for a year (of game time, obviously tongue.gif ) I quite like the small resource graphics now... they add a sense of size perspective which makes the map appear much larger than it actually is. The unit icons have grown on me as well; they seemed clumsy at first but after you get used to them they are functional and elegant. The only thing left I don't like is the lack of wavy flags... just seems 'wrong' but I suppose they may grow on me after a while too.

Repairing a damaged battleship was a nasty shock too!

So far I really like this mod and will definitely play it through to it's conclusion.

Heh, no criticism was meant, buddy. Your mod is really good and I am sure that when I get time I will create wavy flags to replace the ones in your mod...shouldn't take too long, actually ;)

I would really love an English version so I can fully understand all the pop-ups (of which there are many). The game is not spoilt by being in French at all (quite novel really) but I think it would add to the atmosphere even more if there was an English version.

I shall get back to beating up the Serbs later on for sure ;)

Ok Ive played it now.

GOOD

- fun to play, appears to be quite accurate. It's obvious you put in a lot of time into this.

- I also liked the smaller resources.

BAD

- Would be much better if you had 3-d models than blocks as unit symbols.

- Change the french into english and more will understand the pop-ups

- why must the central powers get not only Kiev, Belgrade and Paris but also London to win? I dont really like the idea of having to invade London to win.

- How about a chance of a Lusitania incident, that can cause rise in american war-readiness?

That one is easy Kuniworth ;)

I keep a bank of single coloured wavy flags which I created from cobbling together bits of the original flags (that was the hard bit as I had to fill in for some missing bits). Now I simply cut chunks out of the single coloured flags and put them together like a patchwork quilt when I want a totally new flag.

Fairly swift and paint-shop is my friend ;)

Originally posted by Kuniworth:

Ok

- Would be much better if you had 3-d models than blocks as unit symbols.

I am too bad in drawing for the 3D icons

- Change the french into english and more will understand the pop-ups

For an english version, my english is very bad.

- why must the central powers get not only Kiev, Belgrade and Paris but also London to win? I dont really like the idea of having to invade London to win.

you are right, it is planned for the version 2

- How about a chance of a Lusitania incident, that can cause rise in american war-readiness?

#NAME=La guerre sous-marine (USA->Entente)

#POPUP= Les américains protestent contre les agressions des navires neutres

For me this event translates the total submarine war including the lusitania incident.

[/QB]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dynamics of game work well, Western front does bog down and you start looking for technology and second front solutions. Costing is good - high MPP costs for repair of capital ships and amphibious assaults are realistic. Air is nice - not superpowerful but great for spotting and fortification reduction rather than killing units.

Supply - have you changed the model? Units I would have said were out of supply in SC2 seem to be low supply here - though maybe its there are more supply sources. What was strange was that in one game I broke through the German lines and captured a low level supply source. this enabled me to dig in for a year and continually reinforce to 10.

I'm not yet in 1917 but presume there is a russian revolution event;. loved the Lawrence of Arabia touch.

To improve? Maybe graphics of terrain a little. AI - Austrians keeps leaving Serbian capital open to partisans. Partisants - how about a figure such as a farmer or hunter rather than the P symbol?

Highest difficulty (+2 experience) - with this the German front line is essentially inpenetrable and you have to fight to hold them. You can do it by creating killing grounds - areas the Germans must advance into leaving them vulnerable to attack from several sides. In the long term you can only break them by thinking strategically - either tech improvements using your MPP advantage to lever a way into Germany or opening a second front. Russians have lots of troops but have to be played well not to get trampled and care must be taken in middle east and I lose Serbia though its partisans keep popping up.

At this setting I think its a more historical game than SC2 though partly thats because a lot of the production is preplanned.

As I say, at this setting its very realistic - inevitably a bit TOO realistic - you do get sick of the ground slog in the West but you should do!

Give you a PBEM game if you want though give me a week or so as I'm away.

I play on max settings and find it a reasonable challenge. I find the AI never gets close to taking serbia though as it's strategy sucks (Indeed... The end usually comes from the serbs taking the central power's capitals). But the West and East plays out really well.

The Naval cat and mouse game is interesting too.

I think some tweaks need to be made in regards to France.

Even at the most difficult setting I always manage to take Paris and then France surrenders.

Seems to me what are missing is UK troops on the frontlines, by the time I face them I have totally surrounded Paris.

British troops where at the frontlines of the French border when the war started.