The next best thing is here!!

Kharkov

• New Random Campaign Generator

o Choose a time period, a number of missions and a core force and progress through a series of randomly generated linked battles

o Also supports semi-historical and historical campaigns

o Includes support for unit equipment upgrades for longer campaigns

o Design and share your own Random or semi-Random campaigns

It's coming with a Random Campaign Generator not even BF's version was going to have that. And it's the Eastern Front from 41 to 45. The two engines aren't that much different and why keep waiting on something that looks like it's never coming. Get over to Matrixgames today and get your copy and enjoy.

I missed this title after reading the review at the wargamer. But I may have a look at this later release.

Were there any third party scenarios ever released for Winter Storm? That always seems to hint at it's general popularity.

Cheers MarkL

That does sound interesting.

It's basically a Steel Panthers like campaign, am I right? Sweet! That's the major annoyance with Combat Mission, the lack of a serious long play campaign. Even CMC wouldn't have been quite enough for me, I suspect.

This OTOH sounds right up my street.

A campaign stretching from '41 to '45 with as many battles in between as I like? That's a sale.

Originally posted by markl:

Were there any third party scenarios ever released for Winter Storm? That always seems to hint at it's general popularity.

There were a few I think - but they were fiddly to create requiring delving into XML iirc. This new game has a proper scenario builder so I would expect there to be a lot more in the future. I did get Winter Storm but never really got into it - that may change soon.

No map generator/editor. Any campaign you generate would be on the limited map set released with the game.

Still, the series is definitely worth watching. Winter Storm was a good start; lots of issues with it and not my cup of tea, but I bought a copy to support the work, and will eagerly see what Kharkov's reviews are like. Matrix doesn't release demos often as a matter of course, apparently, which coupled with a lack of a map generator diminishes my interest, but a lot of good word of mouth might change my mind.

CM:Campaigns has/would have an operational layer that you can play. You can make operational moves.

In Panzer Campaigns you do not play operationally. You get dropped into tactical battles not of your choices based on what resources and units you had left after your previous fights.

Having said that, implementing an playable operational level, or a different campaign system that the default one, for PzC is much easier since all relevant files are ASCII-based XML files. In CM you need the developer's help to interface.

Hope this clears up some confusion.

It will be worth watching the reviews of this new title.

One thing is that it will not have Battlefronts new license, and for me that is one real plus.

I just hope they pull it off this time as others have said Panzer Command showed a lot promise. Mean while I still love the CMx1 titles.

Cheers MarkL

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

A campaign stretching from '41 to '45 with as many battles in between as I like?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I may be completely wrong, but from a quick glance, I don't think it works that way.

What's the limit on the number of linked battles??
answer
It is defined by the Random Campaign designer. There is no fixed upper limit.