One Tough Cookie

MikeyD

For those of you who don't subscribe to the small Canadian armor journal AFV News, in their latest issue (Vol.40 No.2) theres a photo article showing the effects of a 105mm APFSDS tungsten round (Hungarian-made NP105A2) on a Czech manufactured T72 M1. Hit three times in the turret in the area of the 'chernozyom' composite armor, and five times on the bow. NONE of the rounds penetrated! Wow! No word in the article on the firing range. A sixth experimental long rod 105mm round did finally penetrate the bow. A Carl Gustav was aimed at the side fuel pannier and though it blew the thing clean off the spilled diesel fuel wasn't ignited.

Cool pictures too. T72s seem tougher than their Western press implies!

I still recall the furore among wargamers when patches for the Steel Panthers 2 game which included latest data on T-72 and T-80 armour were released. Suddenly it turned out that the standard 105mm tank gun was incapable of punching through the frontal armour of either T-80 or improved versions of T-72.

I can tell you that after that little change many of the previously made and very popular NATO/Warsaw Pact scenarios lost much of their appeal smile.gif

I believe that test T72 was an export (Czech) vehicle - or at least not the special souped-up Soviet type (if such a type existed). Most tales of T72 killls in Kuwait seem to involve Abrams. Tales of Marine M60s killing tanks seem to involve T55s.

I believe the 120mm DU round was introduced by NATO specifically to deal with the T72 threat. A gauranteed kill with every hit.

But even without the DU, a modern 120mm round hits with such kinetic energy that any thing it hits tends to disintegrate. So any vehicle it hits would be a 'kill' - I guess the DU just ensures that the crew are killed, and the vehicle a write-off.

Originally posted by Sequoia:

All wargamers ought to know who James Dunnigan is. Here's his opinion of the T-72:

http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/20054172327.asp

This is not James Dunnigan's opinion, but the opinion of someone who wrote an article quoted on Dunnigan's website.

However similar things have been said about the T-72 by others.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

The relationship between the T72 and the M1 strikes me as being similar to that between the T34 and the M4. The T34/T72 are the less advanced, but were also introduced 6 years earlier than the US Models.

In fact I think you can take T-64 as the first T-72 model. IIRC, T-64 was more advanced than first T-72 models but was never exported outside USSR.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I recall when the T64 first showed up in (then) East Germany a LOT of NATO equipment suddenly became obsolete. Good bye Jpz Kanone, to name one!

Yeah, around 1964 Steel Panthers East-West battles (my main source of info smile.gif ) suddenly became lopsided... on one side you had the then new M60A2 with those pathetic Shillelagh missiles and on the other you had the T-64, fast, armed with that deadly 125mm gun and well armoured.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

The relationship between the T72 and the M1 strikes me as being similar to that between the T34 and the M4. The T34/T72 are the less advanced, but were also introduced 6 years earlier than the US Models.

i think T-72 vs M1 is usually seen pretty much like T-34/76 vs Tiger. the problem of course is that originally M1 had a 105mm gun that couldn't punch thru T-72's armor at longer ranges. it was only after modernizations that M1 could get an upper hand over unmodernized T-72s. even then it wasn't like the T-34/76 vs Tiger situation of WW2, and a modernized T-72 should offer a good match still today.

Originally posted by Glider:

In fact I think you can take T-64 as the first T-72 model. IIRC, T-64 was more advanced than first T-72 models but was never exported outside USSR.

yes, T-64 was more advanced and came to service before T-72.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I recall when the T64 first showed up in (then) East Germany a LOT of NATO equipment suddenly became obsolete. Good bye Jpz Kanone, to name one!

did T-64s ever appear outside USSR?

If I remember a couple old articles correctly (and I may not), the first good look we got at the T64 was NATO surveillance photos of Soviet units stationed in East Germany. I believe the T64 made it out of (present day) Russia proper but definitely stayed in 'Soviet' hands. Not even their Warsaw Pact allies got to play with them.

As to 'more advanced', was the T64 advanced in actual warfighting ability? Or was the T72 just simplified from a production standpoint for cheaper manufacture?