.50 MG really capable of this?

A .50 cal can take out the weapon system on any modern tank. Talk to any M1A1 tanker about the dangers of blowing holes in their main gun with their own .50 cal.

At 3-400 meters a .50 cal would have no problems putting gashes in modern main gun systems. The weaker metals used in WWII could easily be made ineffective after being struck by a .50 cal round.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by moosehead:

I just had a .50 cal mg, damage the gun on my hetzer at 344m. Is this possible?<hr></blockquote>

yep. take a look at the chart in the faq in my signature: notice how much more piercing it is against a german half track than the german mg.

OK, so it can damage it then. But has anyone else seen this?

It cant be too common. I have targeted tanks many times with a .50, hoping to kill the TC, which is only partially effective. But never damaging a gun barrel.

I guess what makes it even more frustrating in this game is, I had at least 6 HMG42 targeting a M20 at less than 50m , and I couldnt even get it to button up! Damn gamey M20s! ;)

A .5 cal "rifle" is currently deployed in the Canadian Army for plinking AFVs. The "rifle" is, of course, scoped and the soldiers are trained as snipers. The difference is that instead of picking off human targets, they're targetting weapon systems. A round placed in the right spot - whether vulnerable exterior sites or through an open hatch, will disable the equipment.

Bearing in mind the types of missions the Canadian Army is tasked with - UN peace keeping typically - this is a viable weapon. I'm sure it would be quite useful for disabling military equipment in the control of third world despots, without as much concern about "collateral" damage.

My point being that if a single shot .5 round is currently used to disable AFVs, a fully automatic WWII version would be quite capable of the damage you're reporting.

I once had a Jagdtiger that went temporarily blind after taking a non-penetrating hit on the front superstructure. The vision line was black in all directions and distances, despite clear sight lines. I withdrew out of enemy sight and in 2-3 turns it could "see" again. I've never had that happen again - was this depicting crew repairable damage to the optics? :confused:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bullethead:

Jagdratt said:

Why go to all this trouble and expense? Why not just dust off the old Boys ATRs I'm sure you still have in the arsenals :D <hr></blockquote>

Because soldiers like having functional shoulders. smile.gif

The US army uses numerous .50 cal sniper rifles.

Most of them use a shorter case than the original M2 .50 cal round.

There was a few confirmed kills in the gulf war of over 1800 meters with a .50 cal rifle. It has plenty of punch to go thru an engine block under 1,000 meters.

Stixx,

The semi-auto and bolt action .50 BMG rifles use a cartridge that is the same size as the M2 .50 machinegun, 12.7x99mm. Hell, you can buy the things legally in the US as a civilian. Trust me I've looked smile.gif There's even kits for building them out of surplus .50 cal barrels. Somewhere there's a chart depicting the increase in penetration for .50 cal rounds over the years. I'll see if I can dig it up. One thing to remember is the .50 cal was initially designed as an anti-tank round for WWI. Sure seemed to do a decent job in WWII also.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bullethead:

Jagdratt said:

Why go to all this trouble and expense? Why not just dust off the old Boys ATRs I'm sure you still have in the arsenals :D <hr></blockquote>

Why? The round wasn't as effective as the current .50 cal AP round and the gun's recoil (at ~70lb) left a great deal to be desired. Most of the .50 cal Sniper rifles have a "soft-recoil" system integrated into their bodies, to ensure that the firer doesn't have a broken shoulder after each round.

Some Boys were utilised during the mid-late war period as "anti-sniper" weapons, usually mounted on a universal carrier. I've seen several pictures but I can't tell you how widespread the use was (most are from Italy, which suggests that more than likely the rifles had been "liberated" after they had been declared surplus in the Western Desert).

The current .50 cal we use has a SLAP round designed for armor penetration that is quite effective.

Up until the late 1980's most of the ammunition we used was vietnam era and conformed to WWII/Korea specs, but the new ammunition became readily available to US forces in the 1990's, IIRC.

jw

I still think that the Ma Deuce is undermodelled in CM, especially when it comes to targetting troops in Light Buildings & Wooden Bunkers, where it should play Holy Havoc with both.

As it stands the .50 is treated as little more than an overgrown MMG .30

Gyrene

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Abn_Ranger87:

Ah! The old Ma-Duece M2HB 12.7mm machine gun... :D Perfect weapon system, will probably still be in service 50 years from now... During all my years in the Army the newest one I saw was stamped 1953 on the receiver.<hr></blockquote>

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be. Hell, the damned things been around since 1918-19. It'll probably be around until ammunition evolves into something other than conventional bullets.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

It'll probably be around until ammunition evolves into something other than conventional bullets.<hr></blockquote>

It'll be around even then. You'll have 50-cals taking out laser-cannon aggregates at 1000+ yards...