Damaged tracks/wheels

I am trying to get my head around damaged tracks, how they get damaged and how that effects the tank/vehicle:

1. Are the damaged taken by a point system or by die rolls? It feels like the damage is gather by som kind of point system, no die roll involved.

2. Does the speed going over fence/minor walls affect the risk for damage and/or risk for damage? My opinon so far is a big ?

3. Is it easier to get bogged down? I suspect yes, everything else would be un-realistic.

4. Does AT-rifle only damage tracks/wheels or are they able to actually destroy them? So far when I have tested (and I have tested AT-rifle against different vehicles at different ranges and speed - have not done enough testings yso that I can have a strong opionin yet though) only minor damage has been sustained against tracks/wheeles. I do think AT-rifle are useful, so no criticism against them over all but when it comes to tracks it feels odd that they more often scores hits that make bail outs then destroying wheels/tracks. If I used AT-rifle i would primarly aim for tracks and optics at tanks (if the range gave the opportunity to bee able to choose), it seems that the AT-rifles do that when close to a tank - but the result is mediocre. 

5. Does wheels get damage from going off-road? My feeling is yes, but have no evidence or have not done any testings.

3 minutes ago, Panzer_Freak said:

1. Are the damaged taken by a point system or by die rolls? It feels like the damage is gather by som kind of point system, no die roll involved.

A point system most likely, though it seems dynamic not fixed. I.e going 3x times through fences = kaput. Crew quality could play a role maybe and vehicle system (tracks/wheels) robustness. A random die roll thrown in as well maybe.

7 minutes ago, Panzer_Freak said:

2. Does the speed going over fence/minor walls affect the risk for damage and/or risk for damage? My opinon so far is a big ?

I would presume yes since high speed maneuvering through any kind of bad terrain also risks bogging more oftenly. I´d imagine the driver not taking appropiate time and care to consider abstracted micro terrain in an action spot. Maneuvering through (light) woods and through fences is always possible, but there´s always the chance for bumping up or getting bad stuff into the running gear, blocking or breaking them mechanically. Less speed = more time and care to avoid such hassles.

13 minutes ago, Panzer_Freak said:

3. Is it easier to get bogged down? I suspect yes, everything else would be un-realistic.

Yes, but it´s also other fators involved here like mentioned crew quality as well as the vehicles offroad performance rating and other data you can see at the vehicles info tab. And there always remains a random chance that things go awry. Or not.

17 minutes ago, Panzer_Freak said:

4. Does AT-rifle only damage tracks/wheels or are they able to actually destroy them? So far when I have tested (and I have tested AT-rifle against different vehicles at different ranges and speed - have not done enough testings yso that I can have a strong opionin yet though) only minor damage has been sustained against tracks/wheeles. I do think AT-rifle are useful, so no criticism against them over all but when it comes to tracks it feels odd that they more often scores hits that make bail outs then destroying wheels/tracks. If I used AT-rifle i would primarly aim for tracks and optics at tanks (if the range gave the opportunity to bee able to choose), it seems that the AT-rifles do that when close to a tank - but the result is mediocre. 

I´m not a CMRT owner, but AT rifles were usually employed vs. thinly armored parts, vision blocks ect., though not breaking tracks unless it´s maybe a more small and generally fragile vehicle. Repeated hits on haevier vehicles tracks might break them overtime, but I´d consider this a quite rare possibility, and more so in the game as there´s no "aim at the same spot repeatedly" AI micro tactic. Would be nice to have though. Wheels are vulnerable to most small arms bullets, not just AT ones, so destroying them with few shots is more frequent, yet for full immob you probably need to perforate them all. I´d presume there´s also more than just the wheels that can be damaged more invisibly, like the axle and other vital parts connected not show in vehicle data tab.

24 minutes ago, Panzer_Freak said:

5. Does wheels get damage from going off-road? My feeling is yes, but have no evidence or have not done any testings.

good question. Never have tested, but I´d rather presume No. Possibly factored in for vehicles with really bad off road performance data, attempting to move through rocky terrain maybe. I´d never played a mission and required to move through rocky terrain with vehicles, so I´d leave this as a ..maybe. CMFI players might have more to say on this.

3 hours ago, Panzer_Freak said:

All vehicles, not just wheeled -- take damage from driving through obstacles.  Just driving over rough terrain will not cause damage.  Vehicles of all types can drive through light woods or rocky terrain without damage.  However, railroad tracks can damage both wheeled and tracked vehicles.  

19 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

All vehicles, not just wheeled -- take damage from driving through obstacles.  Just driving over rough terrain will not cause damage.  Vehicles of all types can drive through light woods or rocky terrain without damage.  However, railroad tracks can damage both wheeled and tracked vehicles.  

ah yes, it was the damaging railroad tracks. Thanks for the reminder.

3 hours ago, RockinHarry said:
4 hours ago, Panzer_Freak said:

Apparently, there is no advantage to deliberately slowing vehicles down with extra waypoints - the AI automatically slows the vehicle down to a "sensible" speed when crossing obstacles or entering "boggy" terrain. 

Tracks and wheels definitely can suffer damage going through obstacles (fences, hedges, walls etc).  Not sure if it's a simple die roll, or if the damage calculation is cumulative until the tracks or wheels suffer the first level of damage and so on...

Speaking of railroad tracks, are we ever going to get actual road tiles with legit grade crossings in the editor?  Heretofore I've just been substituting standard road tiles in the rail line to simulate a crossing.  This to reflect that a grade crossing would inflict no damage to any vehicle crossing it.

As a test try driving up a length of low rural wall or line of barbed wire instead of across it. With each action square you proceed through your track damage gets higher and higher and your vehicle speed suffers accordingly. Eventually the vehicle will have enough and become immobilized. Wheeled vehicles and HTs will refuse outright to cross some obstacles that tracked vehicles will crush.